SASS Wire Forum

Utah Lawmakers Propose M1911 As Official State Gun

Brother King, SASS #69031

SALT LAKE CITY -- State lawmakers are debating whether to designate a semiautomatic pistol as the official gun of Utah, despite protests from people who believe it's inappropriate because of recent mass shootings.

The bill to make the Browning M1911 the official gun breezed through a committee hearing this week and is scheduled to be debated by the full House as early as Wednesday.

Republican Rep. Carl Wimmer said the state should have the gun as one of its state symbols to honor John Browning, a Utah native who invented it in 1911.

FULL TEXT M1911 UT STATE GUN

Sure seems like a good idea to me... gotta agree with this:

"Tragic events happen because of bad people in this world. But handguns, and firearms in general, do not kill people," Sandstrom said. "We need to stop demonizing firearms."

Utah is the coolest. Having taught the Utah CCW class and being familiar with the laws and the position of the lawmakers regarding individuals rights....it comes as no surprise. Utah is a strong 2nd ammendment state.

KK

Howdy

Living here in the Land of the Pilgrims I cannot even envision an official state gun. Maybe a flintlock musket if we had anything.

That aside, somebody needs to tell Rep.Wimmer that Browning did not 'invent' the Model 1911 in 1911. It was the culmination of years of development, starting as early as 1905 when Browning patented his first 45 caliber semi-auto pistol. The Model 1911 is so named because that is the year the Army accepted it for military use.

School Marm Mode off.

The state of Utah declared 24Jan.2011 John Moses Browning day.Had a nice ceremony JMB grandson spoke and at the end of the speach asked for Gov.Herbert to come up to the podium and asked him to take a 1911-22 with the state logo in the grip on behalf of the state of Utah as a gift from Browning.All of Brownings guns that he invented were on display at the state capital.What a gret day,glad I was able to attend.

The state of Utah declared 24Jan.2011 John Moses Browning day.Had a nice ceremony JMB grandson spoke and at the end of the speach asked for Gov.Herbert to come up to the podium and asked him to take a 1911-22 with the state logo in the grip on behalf of the state of Utah as a gift from Browning.All of Brownings guns that he invented were on display at the state capital.What a gret day,glad I was able to attend.

Very cool!

No problem with Utah selecting the 1911 as the state gun to honor JMB but I think the 1885 rifle would be a better choice as he built it there before he started selling his designs to Winchester and all the others

Cheers

Windy

PS: one of my Gt grandfathers was an engineer in UT in the late 1800s he built the San Pedde (sp?) RR and had mines in the east Tintic (Silver City) which 66 acres of holes in the ground I now own and pay taxes on so I feel a strong connection to that part of old west history that is mining on central Utah

No problem with Utah selecting the 1911 as the state gun to honor JMB but I think the 1885 rifle would be a better choice as he built it there before he started selling his designs to Winchester and all the others

Cheers

Windy

PS: one of my Gt grandfathers was an engineer in UT in the late 1800s he built the San Pedde (sp?) RR and had mines in the east Tintic (Silver City) which 66 acres of holes in the ground I now own and pay taxes on so I feel a strong connection to that part of old west history that is mining on central Utah

Hey Doc,

I think the name of the railroad your great grandfather worked on was in Sanpete county, located in central Utah. It was variously spelled San Pete and San Pitch, after a local Indian. The San Pitch river runs north through the area. My ancestors from Denmark settled there in 1860. My dad lived across the street from that raliroad line in a little town named Moroni, where he grew up and met my mother.

By the way, this is my first post on the forum. I'm glad to be here.

Regards.

Hey Doc,

I think the name of the railroad your great grandfather worked on was in Sanpete county, located in central Utah. It was variously spelled San Pete and San Pitch, after a local Indian. The San Pitch river runs north through the area. My ancestors from Denmark settled there in 1860. My dad lived across the street from that raliroad line in a little town named Moroni, where he grew up and met my mother.

By the way, this is my first post on the forum. I'm glad to be here.

Regards.

Hey Hay,

Thanks for the spelling correction and welcome to the Wire the gent in question I believe came for Germany (perhaps the Alsace) and his bride was the daughter of a Union Officer killed at the battle of Gaines Mill (later posthumously made a general he has a High School named after him in Eire PA). Grt grandfather was killed during a labor dispute at one of the Silver City mines in the 1890s (report said death by misadventure and his body was found at the bottom of one of the deep shafts) Grt Grandmother bought out the other investors and shut down the producing mines as a result. so I am fascinated by all scraps of history related to the area

Cheers

Windy

Archived