SASS Wire Forum

Buying a new Uberti '73 what mods are musts?

Captain Bill Burt

I'd install the largest bead on the front sight I could find. Then I'd get a leather butt cover so the rifle does not slide around on your shoulder, and wrap the lower side of the lever with some kind of leather so you don't bung up your knuckles cycling the action. And, install lighter springs.

Howdy Again

Those are things that really ought to wait until the shooter has tried the gun out for a little while. Not everybody likes those really big beads, I don't. If you mount a crescent shaped butt plate properly on your arm it isn't going to slide around. And if you get a good action job you are not going to bang up your knuckles operating the gun.

After all the good advice here and some good advice on the phone last night I'm going to wait a little longer and buy one direct from Cody. As far as the bead goes the only one of these rifles I've fired was Easy Riders so I plan to ask him what kind of bead he has on it as it worked fine for me. I was really slow, but that was me, not the rifle. Keep up the advice if you like, I'm getting lots of information to think about and work through.

Thanks

After all the good advice here and some good advice on the phone last night I'm going to wait a little longer and buy one direct from Cody.

Thanks

I think that is a real good idea. My first year shooting CAS I spent every match fighting with my guns. I never knew what kind of problem would crop up next.

Then I got a Codymatic. Suddenly I was free to concentrate on shooting and quit worrying about my rifle. It just WORKED. First time, every time.

I think that is a real good idea. My first year shooting CAS I spent every match fighting with my guns. I never knew what kind of problem would crop up next.

Then I got a Codymatic. Suddenly I was free to concentrate on shooting and quit worrying about my rifle. It just WORKED. First time, every time.

Plus a bunch!

Sometimes we get caught up in the mods to go fast train of thought, but a well tuned firearm of any type is really a joy to shoot. Particularly when we are new and a lot of things are/can go south fighting a sticky stiff gun can be very frustrating The bottom line to it is we are playing a game so why not have fun shooting something that is pleasurable instead of a PITA?

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I replaced the magazine spring and follower with stainless steel versions and swabed the inside of the magazine tube with EezOx.

The front sight was replaced with a "Grabber" front sight. The rear sight was replaced by a flat-top Marbles sight with the insert removed.

I also added a leather lever wrap and an "Evil Roy" leather butt cover to reduce slippage from my shoulder.

That's it for me.

--Ranger Dave

Archived