SASS Wire Forum

73 Short Stroke Info

Rube Burrows

Ok, so I picked up a 73 this weekend with a super smooth action and now im also thinking it has been short stroked. This is my first 73 so still plenty to learn. I have read there are different generations of short stroke kits and was wondering how one would tell. Here are a couple of pics.

Lever fully cocked.

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af312/jwheeler331/Cowboy%20Stuff/DSCN0200.jpg

Innards

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af312/jwheeler331/Cowboy%20Stuff/DSCN0206.jpg

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af312/jwheeler331/Cowboy%20Stuff/DSCN0205.jpg

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af312/jwheeler331/Cowboy%20Stuff/DSCN0207.jpg

The links don't look like C&I and if they are Pioneer, they must be first gen. The throw is a little shorter than factory. You "might" want to go to shorter links, but I would say run it for a while just the way it is. When you get to the point where you are getting 10 shots off in around three seconds, you may want to change. BTW, I run two rifles, one a 5th gen and one is a 3rd gen. The 3rd gen is a bit more reliable for me and just as fast.

Dang It Dan

The links don't look like C&I and if they are Pioneer, they must be first gen. The throw is a little shorter than factory. You "might" want to go to shorter links, but I would say run it for a while just the way it is. When you get to the point where you are getting 10 shots off in around three seconds, you may want to change. BTW, I run two rifles, one a 5th gen and one is a 3rd gen. The 3rd gen is a bit more reliable for me and just as fast.

Dang It Dan

Yeah, I dont think I will be getting off 10 shots in 3 seconds anytime soon. I am used to 92s and I tell you. This 73 is a real treat.

Looks to me like Pioneer,1st.because no replacement carrier lifter,it would have the same finish as the links. I have a first gen set in my 73. While not super short they are about 1/4" longer throw than my 66 Codymatic,fine by me. Adios Sgt. Jake

Looks to me like Pioneer,1st.because no replacement carrier lifter,it would have the same finish as the links. I have a first gen set in my 73. While not super short they are about 1/4" longer throw than my 66 Codymatic,fine by me. Adios Sgt. Jake

Works for me. Thanks for all the info guys.

Howdy

I have no idea what brand of short stroke links you have in your '73, but here is a photo of my '73 with the action fully open. The links in my '73 are stock, so this is what you get with the stock links, just for comparison.

Full Stroke

• 2 months later...
Guest Will Shootem, SASS # 29892

Howdy

I have no idea what brand of short stroke links you have in your '73, but here is a photo of my '73 with the action fully open. The links in my '73 are stock, so this is what you get with the stock links, just for comparison.

Full Stroke

That's an early version of my standard short stroke kit. Looks like a vintage 2004. I can tell because the pins aren't welded, and they are not bead blasted.

Will Shootem

Pioneer Gun Works.

That's an early version of my standard short stroke kit. Looks like a vintage 2004. I can tell because the pins aren't welded, and they are not bead blasted.

Will Shootem

Pioneer Gun Works.

I shot 10 rounds in 2.04 seconds with a kit just like that......it's plenty fast.

Stan

Stan said, "I shot 10 rounds in 2.04 seconds with a kit just like that......it's plenty fast."

I agree. unfortunately, the kit does not improve my accuracy! hahaha.

But Manatee's GRABBER front sight has helped me A LOT with that.

I still miss a few when I run my 73 FAST, but not nearly as many as before.

FWIW-YMMV...SOso

Archived