SASS Wire Forum

True Grit - AWESOME!

Dubious Don #56333

What an AWESOME movie! "The Dude" did Duke credit. Matt Damon; well, lets just say I didn't believe it but now I do. All I can say is wow, he really made that part. Hailee Steinfeld as Mattie Ross? While Kim Darby did an EXCELLENT job, I have to say Ms. Steinfeld did her role VERY well. Barry Pepper as Ned Pepper? He ROCKED!! The accuracy was pretty danged good, and while it differed from the 1969 version only a bit, and many parts were "richer". (The dugout scene and gunfight after was just be-you-ti-ful)

If you haven't seen this movie yet, you need to! I'm buying the DVD!!

Y'all are drivin' me nutz!! :wacko:

The one time I say I'm gonna wait fer the DVD to come out and this one is the sh!t from what I hear.

I might have to go to the movie house <_< and buy a $25 bucket of popcorn.

I don't get out much anymore. :lol:

Oh yeah, and I'M BUYIN'THE DVD TOO!!!!

:lol:

~EE Taft~

What an AWESOME movie! "The Dude" did Duke credit. Matt Damon; well, lets just say I didn't believe it but now I do. All I can say is wow, he really made that part. Hailee Steinfeld as Mattie Ross? While Kim Darby did an EXCELLENT job, I have to say Ms. Steinfeld did her role VERY well. Barry Pepper as Ned Pepper? He ROCKED!! The accuracy was pretty danged good, and while it differed from the 1969 version only a bit, and many parts were "richer". (The dugout scene and gunfight after was just be-you-ti-ful)

I agree!!! I have seen it twice and I will buy the DVD as well. I wish there was more action in the movie, but over all the movie did the book justice.

If you go to the early show that bucket of popcorn only costs $22 bucks (at senior prices for 2 with a five dollar drink!) ;)

Y'all are drivin' me nutz!! :wacko:

The one time I say I'm gonna wait fer the DVD to come out and this one is the sh!t from what I hear.

I might have to go to the movie house <_< and buy a $25 bucket of popcorn.

I don't get out much anymore. :lol:

Oh yeah, and I'M BUYIN'THE DVD TOO!!!!

:lol:

~EE Taft~

I have some free movie tickets I got from work (the boss handed them out instead of raises). I thought about seeing a zombie movie but now have something more to my liking to view. Thanks for the report.

First off, let me say that I am a BIG John Wayne fan. However, I felt the new version of true grit was the best. Matt Damon was soooooooooooo much better than Glen Campbell and the new Mattie was sooooooooo much better than Kim Darby. Better all around. Again however, the John Wayne version is a classic and anyone that likes westerns will have to own them both. Just wish we had a few more new westerns coming out.

We all cowboy'd up and went to the new True Grit on January 14th. There were eleven of us all dressed up in our cowboy gear and several people wanted our picture in the lobby both before and after the show.

We all agreed it was a great movie.

My favorite scene in the movie was when Mattie went to talk to Rooster in the back of the chinaman's store and he got tangled up in the dead ducks, sausages and chairs.

Just read that it received ten Academy Award nominations including Best Picture, Best Director, and for Jeff Bridges and Hailee Steinfeld in their roles.

If you haven't done so yet be sure to read the book. When you have that as a reference it makes a difference.

I like both versions. I thought John Wayne was great in his role and always found Kim Darby's performance very acceptable even though it was hard to see her as 14 years old. But I think Hailee's performance was even better and the other characters were all played well.

I don't think saying Jeff Bridges performance as Rooster Cogburn was excellent is taking anything away from John Wayne. I'd like to see him get the Academy Award for his performance but he won last year so that probably won't happen.

And not only that but I heard a lot of new lines to start stages with.

Sage Creek Gus

I'm with EE, hoping the DVD comes out soon, though it will probably be next year. I don't much go to the movie theaters, between the huge screens, over loud sound systems, over priced snacks, and talking movie goer's I always leave with a splitting headache.

I will buy the DVD though.

The other great thing is that it has become a big hit, taking in $138 million so far. The word of mouth has been great and the 10 or so Oscar nominations will keep it going.

This may, hopefully, give a boost to Westerns, and turn a few directors and producers in that direction....

I liked it a lot, even though it was slower than I expected.

I really want to see it again. I expect I'll buy it when it comes out on DVD.

Maybe someone will wise up and put the two movies together in one package. It'd sell like hotcakes.

First off, let me say that I am a BIG John Wayne fan. However, I felt the new version of true grit was the best. Matt Damon was soooooooooooo much better than Glen Campbell and the new Mattie was sooooooooo much better than Kim Darby. Better all around. Again however, the John Wayne version is a classic and anyone that likes westerns will have to own them both. Just wish we had a few more new westerns coming out.

Saw the trailer for "Rango" when I went to see True Grit. That looks like fun! It is a western.

Everyone need to go see it ten times get the veiwing up and maybe they'll make more westerns. If they don't I'm going to force them to by holding my breath till they do...... :lol::lol::lol:

My favorite line would make a great one to deliver before a long-range target set up as a bonus shot -- "You could not hit a man at 300 yards if you rested on Gibralter." (words to that effect, from memory).

I liked the John Wayne version of True Grit but never bought the DVD. I really liked the new version of True Grit so much that I saw the movie a second time, plan on buying the DVD, and even got the book True Grit read it. (Note: there are no pictures in the book.)

I thought my high school drama club had finally made the big time. A few clothes, guns, leather, and horses on the screen makes viewers appear to have lost their evaluative tools. Matt Damon missed a good show, Mailee was good, and Bridges sure put loudness to the test. A rather poor excuse for toughness. The chased hardly made an appearance, or did I fall asleep eating my popcorn. My wife had a grin on her face as we exited the hall. I think I will watch Tombstone again tonight, for maybe the seventeenth time---still good.

Everyone need to go see it ten times get the veiwing up and maybe they'll make more westerns. If they don't I'm going to force them to by holding my breath till they do...... :lol::lol::lol:

That will only cause you to have more gas.

I thought my high school drama club had finally made the big time. A few clothes, guns, leather, and horses on the screen makes viewers appear to have lost their evaluative tools. Matt Damon missed a good show, Mailee was good, and Bridges sure put loudness to the test. A rather poor excuse for toughness. The chased hardly made an appearance, or did I fall asleep eating my popcorn. My wife had a grin on her face as we exited the hall. I think I will watch Tombstone again tonight, for maybe the seventeenth time---still good.

Hahaha! I have a agree, somewhat, it wasn't as good as I had hoped. Matt Damon is not one of my favorite actors by a long shot, but did you see Glenn Campbell doing the same part in the original? By comparison, Damon looks like Oliver doing Hamlet.

Tombstone is still my favorite too. I have it on VHS. I need to get a Blue Ray player and get it on DVD.

Well, I'm not a movie critic, nor did I stay in that hotel last night. I enjoyed the original John Wayne True Grit, and I enjoyed the newest one just as much. Don't read too much into a movie, just go and enjoy it.

Saw it. Loved it. Saw the 1969 True Grit again 2 weeks later on AMC--twice. Also bought the book at Walmart--they had it in paperback. I could not put the book down and read it in 2 days.

The new movie is truer to the time of year (cold Winter) and scenery (The 1969 movie was filmed in Colorado when the story actually takes place in W Arkansas and E Oklahoma). The new movie is more authentic looking to 1878 (costumes, language, firearms) which is when this story occurred. Both had direct quotes from the book, but the 1969 John Wayne version had MOST of the lines directly from the book.

It is rare to see a movie exactly like the book (The movie "The Green Mile" was VERY close to the Stephen King book), but all in all, the John Wayne version is closer to the original Charles Portis story. I doubt John Wayne had much control over the project as it is nothing like the BatJac Company (his production company) movies he made in the late 60's, early 70's.

So read the book, see the new movie and the John Wayne classic and you will have a great time for sure!!

Archived