SASS Wire Forum

Pioneers of television

Smokin Gator SASS #29736

I noticed that tonight on our local pbs station, they are having a one hour "Pioneers of television" talking about the 50's and 6o's westerns that many of us remember. They've done episodes on comedy and variety shows and I thought were very entertaining. If it's not on tonight in your area they repeat the shows several times. Smokin Gator

watched it

i think they dwelled too much on just a few shows

there were so many more shows they could have mentioned

but failed to do so

i know it was just a hour show but it seemed like they spent

half the time talking about gunsmoke

should have been spread out more

but thats just my opinion

I enjoyed the show. The one last week was good too.

Yes, they could have spent at least another two hours covering the other westerns but a lot of times money and air time govern what a director can do.

I'm happy with what I saw. Brought back a lot of memories.

My $.02.

I thought it was pretty well done. Given the hour they had, it was a good first lick at the subject and nice to see the still living (or now recently deceased for a couple) actors.

I would hope they do more in the pioneer series on the westerns. It is fertile ground for them and great memories for us! Translates to ratings.....

Did anyone catch the big boo-boo?

They claimed that Disney came up with the DANIEL BOONE show. Not true.

Parker & producer Aaron Rosenberg (who had produced many of the James Stewart Westerns of the 1950s) planned on a TV series based on Davy Crockett to be produced by 20th Century-Fox Studios. Disney told them he held the rights to Davy Crockett and that basically killed that idea.

So they said, what about Daniel Boone? He wore a coonskin cap. And that is how DANIEL BOONE the TV series came to be.

BTW, I hardly recognized Fess Parker at first.

One reason why they focused on certain shows & not others is based on who they can interview or obtain recent interviews of. That is why such people & shows as Clayton Moore/The Lone Ranger, Richard Boone/Have Gun-Will Travel, etc. were not covered as much. Plus when you have an hour slot (actually the show ran about 50 minutes), you have to focus on certain shows.

Archived