SASS Wire Forum

single trigger Stoeger

Until this year I used Stoeger coach guns for my SG's. About a year or so ago decided to try a single trigger version and more or less at the same time found a deal on an SKB.

The Stoeger doubled on me right out of the box, about once in 20 rounds or so. Tried a couple things that I read on the wire, now it doubles once in

30 rounds or so. In the meantime the SKB chugs along and I think I have found a keeper (after the wife of course! :) )

So the question is:

do I get rid of the Stoeger -- knowing that whoever buys it will still have a problem gun? (Don't like this one)

or

do I make the Stoeger a safe queen until technological advances find a cure for doubling disease (How long do I hold it?)

or

do I send it to a gunsmith, knowing that I now prefer the SKB and could probably never get the "fix" money back out of it. (Money that could be better spent on another SKB)

Your thoughts appreciated in advance

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

BTW gun went back to Stoeger after the first doubling incident and they said they had never heard of the problem and could not get it to double. Their term was "within factory standards"

I'd sell it with full disclosure of the problem. Someone who knows how to fix it would probably take it off your hands.

or

Find a gunsmith who knows how to fix it. If the cost is reasonable to fix it for back-up use, go for it. If not, you're back to option #1. There is no reason to keep a gun in your safe that doesn't work right.

I had a Gamba sporting gun that would double on me all the time. My shooting partner couldn't get it to double on him to save his life. Then I got tired of that and traded it for a FAMARS Excalibur (and some boot). Dang if it didn't double on me once in a while, too....same story- it never doubled on my buddy.

Then one day I borrowed his Krieghoff. I had never seen it double or heard of it doubling on him. Doubled on me on the first station.

My conclusion is that single (inertia) triggers are finicky beasts. If they're recoiling into your slightly depressed finger then BOOM BOOM happens....sometimes.

Sell it if you've found one that doesn't and don't look back would be my advice. Factory certified it... who are you to 2nd guess them?

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

Gateway,

Do you know how to take it apart? If so you can use a diamond file or emery board and make the left sear notch a little deeper, then put a little more down force on the left trigger spring. It would be possible to convert to 2 triggers if ya had the parts. I have been gonna look at putting a Stevens trigger spring in on cuz I hate them Stoeger wires but I haven't taken the time.

Brother King is right there is a technique to shooting the things too. Try making sure you are being firm with your hold as the recoil can cause ya to let off and get back on without knowing it(extra spring pressure should help)? I have a guy in our club that can double his Stoeger that I made open easier for him (and nuthin else) and he can hand it to me and it works like a champ?

Good Luck!!

I work at a gun store in Hot Springs, and shoot with Mtn Valley Vigilantes. I guess Stoeger isn't admitting there is problems with the gun. I have seen several people have the same problem you are having. With all the expertise here on this forum I'm sure there is a fix. Me, I own a double trigger Stoeger and after watching all the problems with the single trigger, I will stick with the double trigger model.

Until this year I used Stoeger coach guns for my SG's. About a year or so ago decided to try a single trigger version and more or less at the same time found a deal on an SKB.

The Stoeger doubled on me right out of the box, about once in 20 rounds or so. Tried a couple things that I read on the wire, now it doubles once in

30 rounds or so. In the meantime the SKB chugs along and I think I have found a keeper (after the wife of course! :) )

So the question is:

do I get rid of the Stoeger -- knowing that whoever buys it will still have a problem gun? (Don't like this one)

or

do I make the Stoeger a safe queen until technological advances find a cure for doubling disease (How long do I hold it?)

or

do I send it to a gunsmith, knowing that I now prefer the SKB and could probably never get the "fix" money back out of it. (Money that could be better spent on another SKB)

Your thoughts appreciated in advance

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

BTW gun went back to Stoeger after the first doubling incident and they said they had never heard of the problem and could not get it to double. Their term was "within factory standards"

If you haven't tried it already, change the selector switch to fire the other barrel first. Sometimes works.

-Chris

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and SASS.

I bought a double trigger Stoeger in 20 Ga and while in my waiting period I visited a Stoeger forum where there were quite a few owners complaining of the single trigger 12 Ga double firing. (even the double defender) Some were saying that the SG needed cleaning and referred to the owners manual (something about over lubing the SG for shipping) but I didn't read of grand success with disassembly and cleaning curing the problem.

Good luck with the Stoeger, I love my lil 20 Ga!

John

You give the Stoeger to me, and I'll get it fixed and use it! :D

The problem is finding someone that can fix them.

I don't much care for any of the lowend single trigger SXS's for this very reason.

I wonder if it is possible to covert a single trigger Stoeger to a two trigger system...

I have one of the single trigger Baikals here now that has the same problem. Because it has a separate trigger plate it is being converted to a two trigger gun.

The Stoeger does not have a separate treigger plate. The lower tang in intregal to the receiver. it would have to be welded up and milled for two triggers.

Archived