SASS Wire Forum

1959 -- A Great Year

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

1959 was a great year for me; I had just started my Senior year in High School at a brand new building in my small hometown in North Mississippi.

Moreover, my Father had just bought our Family our first TV set (a 21 in Admiral- B & W) and our town had just recently gotten Cable TV ( only the 3 Networks).

Having grown up in the 40s and 50s, I was very much into all Cowboys, especially Randolf Scott, Joel Mc Cray, RR, and Gene A. I had spent many a Saturday afternoon at the "Rebel" theather with my Pards watching the action on the Silver Screen. So when the Westerns got started heavy into TV, I along with thousands of others, was hooked!

Here was the lineup for the Fall of 1959: I don't think I missed a one, especially Gunsmoke.

ABC: Colt 45 (there was never a Colt 38 Special) ; Maverick; Lawman; Cheyenne.

NBC: Riverboat; Tales of Wells Fargo; Wagon Train; Wichita; Law of the Plainsman; Bat Masterson; and their "new show" Bonanza.

CBS: The Texan; Johhny Ringo; Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theatre; Rawhide; Wanted Dead or Alive; Have Gun, Will Travel; and (best of all IMHO) Gunsmoke!

I know a lot of you fellows were "with me" and watched these shows then; the rest of you young folk have probably seen them on The Western Channel. I still watch Gunsmoke every night.

What a great year. However, in 1975, Gunsmoke was cancelled and TV Westerns have never been the same!

Hoss

Hey Hoss,

I was 8 yrs old back then and still remember alot of those.

Another one that I faintly remember, although you might not consider it a western, was 'Yancy Derringer'. Hope I got the spelling correct.

And don't forget SKY KING! That was a good one also although I ain't sure of the years it showed on TV.

..........Widder

My favotite out of that group was Maverick. Also tried to always catch Cheyenne, have gun will travel and Bonanza.

As a big B-Western fan growing up in the 1940's the spill over b-Western stars were exciting for me

Cisco Kid, Roy, Gene and Hoppy. The Lone Ranger had all the elements of the B-Westerns and was also a favorite of mine.

thank you for reminding me of the Glory Years of the westerns on TV

There were 26 prime time westerns in 1959 so you're missing a few. That was the peak and didn't include the Saturday morning shows.

Archived