SASS Wire Forum

Straight stock or pistol grip 1873?

Rico Kid

Well, I've decided to invest in another 1873 in .357 caliber to match my .38 Colts. I own a straight stock '73 in .44-40 and would like to load one caliber for both rifles and pistols. I've seen a pretty nice Uberti '73 for sale on the classified and was wondering if the pistol grip was any faster or slower. Does that curved lever make for a longer or shorter throw? Or is the difference insignificant.

Appreciate your input pards.

It's a Baskin Robbins question as there are shooters who will whip you with the straight and vise versa. On looks I own the pistol grip as I think it has more eye appeal. If it makes you faster then I have not pressed the correct button yet.

Fairshake....appreciate your input, but the question of which throw is longer is not really opinion is it? By the way, I believe the FAST button is located only on rifles ordered in the custom shop and can only be purchased by the top ten shooters at End of Track!

Lets see, you could get the pistol grip using the reasoning it's nice to have one of each...

Or you could get a straight stock figuring that it would be easier to switch back and forth between the two rifles.

Me, I'm not fast enough for it to matter even if there is a speed difference.

Grizz...I like your thinking. If'n I had the pesos I'd get one of each!!! By the way, I'm the fellow that Pack Saddle was referring to a while back. I make those neck knives. I looked over your "collection" and they are too short for my purposes.

Rico,

The lever throw is determined by the internal links not by the external lever. If the pistol grip had the lever down lower than the straight grip (which it does not) the lever would have to go farther forward to compensate. I have had both and the lever doesn't start to curve until half way back. So unless you have very thick fingers you won't notice it. In fact you could put a PG lever on a straight stock and it would fit and operate perfectly. A straight lever would not work on a PG stock because the rear of the lever would contact the lower tang before it was fully closed.

If you find a used pistol grip for the same price as a straight grip get it. All things being equal the PG cost slightly more than the SG when new.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

I have had both in 45 Colt. I prefer the straight stock for its looks. Remember the movie, "Winchester 73"?), but enjoyed shooting them both.

Hoss

One is not faster than the other. It's all about what you're accustomed to. If you get a pistol grip, it'll take a while to adjust, but in time it'll become as natural feeling as the straight stock. My advice would be: It the deal you find is a pistol grip and you like it, buy it and if the deal is on a straight stock and you like it, buy it. :rolleyes:

You need to handle both styles together at the same time.

I like the looks of the pistol grip.

However I find I can not get my fingers to conform to the curve of the lever.

So all my long guns have straight stocks.

I'm not sure about the lever throw issue but, straight vs. pistol grip stock is more about sight picture than lever throw. (IMHO) With a straight stock the sights end up being lower so a shorter necked person would probably like that best. A pistol grip puts the sight plane higher which is usually better for longer necked folks so they don't have to bend their heads down to see the sights. Try getting an example of each type of stock. Bring them both up to your shoulder from Port Arms and see which one offers a better sight picture without having to move your head.

I have both style rifles and on mine at least the drop is identical so the sight picture is identical .

the throw is the same . To me the difference is the stock is a mite bit fatter and a tad heavier due

to the pistol grip part of the stock . For all practical operating purposes they feel the same . If

you are running it hard the checkering on the pistol grips forearm does help you grip it and shove it

back tight into your shoulder.....and if you are running it fast you'll never put your thumb back over

the grip so the fatter part is a none issue . While we're talking about the throw ......unless you need

the short stroke for reasons of physical infirmity 99% of shooters will never practice enough to be

significently faster with a shortstroked rifle than one that is just "tuned" .

Regards,

Train Robber

Aside from the look, consider the mechanics of your other guns particularly your shotgun. Most likely it has a pistol grip instead of the straight English style. Seems it's easier to transition between the two if your wrist is at approximately the same angle on each.

FWIW I have one of the Deluxe Border Rifles with the pistol grip and octogon barrel. Compared to the straight stock model, I find it easier to shoot.

I went from a straight stock '92 to a pistol grip '73. The '73 is a Codymatic which has a shorter throw than the '92. There were no transition issues for me and I love the '73. I've shot other '66 and '73 Codymatics and IMHO the style of stock is a non issue in terms of function.

BTW, I originally wanted a straight stock, but when I ordered it from Cody last June, the pistol grips were readily available, while the others were not. As of last fall, that was still an issue, so you might ask if that's still the case.

Good luck!

Mine is a straight stock, and I've never tried the pistol grip. Don't see how it would matter all that much though, once I pick up the gun and have it at my shoulder I'm not holding onto the stock anyways. My grip is on the forearm and my right hand just works the lever. I do think the pistol grip looks good and the checkering on the forearm would help.

Thanks for the input pards.....you've given me good food for thought. So.....I'll wait and see what pops up for sale.

JMO, no difference between the two. One difference though between the two is the price, pistol grip stock cost a slight bit more than straight stock.

I have both, and the biggest difference is the checkering on the forearm on the pistol grip rifle really helps me hold on better.

C D

Don't know if it's any faster, but I like the pistol grip better.

+ 1.

Ricochet Roy

I like my PG stock, however there is one drawback. I decided a few months ago that I wanted to get rid of the crescent shape on the butt of my stock. I wanted something flatter. I didn’t want to cut the original stock so I started looking for a replacement to cut. Straight stocks for 73’s were easy to find, but PG stocks were hard to find and were very expensive – well over $200 dollars! I found straight stocks for under $100. I finally got a good deal on a fully finished stock from VTI to cut down, but it was still over $200.

(Slight thread Hijack) Hi Rico, I'm in Bayside, Ca. and new to SASS and getting my gear together. I'll have to contact MRR and see about joining up with the "posse".

I just purchased my first lever action in many years and it is a straight stock Winchester 1892 in .357. I will probably be in the minority but I prefer the straight stock's feel and appearance. My previous LAR was a Marlin 30-30 with the pistol grip stock and I could never get used to it. That being said, I'd agree with everyone that says a direct comparison with the two styles would serve you well.

Have fun looking!

john, alias Rosado Hombre Lobo

Referring to a shotgun with a pistol grip is not the same as a lever rifle with a pistol grip.

The issue is the lever is curved on the pistol grip and you need to get your fingers to curve with it. Not the same on a straight lever.

Archived