SASS Wire Forum

.243 .270 30-06

Anvil Al #59168

Never had a bolt action rifle.

Always been a lever man. Even before I got into SASS.

Don't hunt.

Not sure WHY I even want one. But I do.

Don't going to spend a lot on it. Because I will hardly ever shoot it.

Bit I still am wanting one.

Might shoot a coyote with it. Maybe a hog. But, maybe not.

SO.

Can not make up my mind what I want.

243, 270, or 30-06

Really leaning toward the .243

Any thougts?????

For the critters you describe a 243 will do fine and so will any of the others for that matter. You said you don't hunt so it really doesn't matter that much.

I'm a fan of the 25-06 though for all around in our region where you and I reside. If its just gonna be coyotes look no further than the 22-250 or 204 Ruger.

I try hard not to think, especially this early in the morning. I'd go with the .270 meownself. It is an extremely versatille rifle, especially if you handload. I've read a lot of stories in my youth by Jack O'Connor talking about his .270. You can take everything from varmints with the 100 gr. load, up to and including elk with the 150 gr. Great rifle IMHO.

Don't hunt.

SO.

243, 270, or 30-06

Any thougts?????

Having Owned And Shot 243 Win For a Long Time ,I dont Think There Is a Better Rifle Round. Load 55 gr. Balistic Tips and It is a Super Varmit Round.Load 90 to 105gr rds And It will take Down Deer like a Lightning Strike.To Shoot Hogs Would Require Accurate Bullet Placement in Head.All Around Great caliber.Just my .02 Cents. :D

If you will hardly ever shoot it, get a 30-06.

All great rounds.

I have a .243 that is a joy to carry and hunt with.

I have a .270 that is a mule deer killing machine.

But, I have to agree with UB. If your going to own one of those calibers, the 30-06 has about the most versatile selection of factory loads and reloading components available. Maybe a bit much for a coyote, but they don't seem to complain much.

I try hard not to think, especially this early in the morning. I'd go with the .270 meownself. It is an extremely versatille rifle, especially if you handload. I've read a lot of stories in my youth by Jack O'Connor talking about his .270. You can take everything from varmints with the 100 gr. load, up to and including elk with the 150 gr. Great rifle IMHO.

I read Jack too, and that is the reason I have a .270.

I have owned a 30-06 and now own a .270 and a .243. The .243 is my favorite, but if I were only going to have one, it would probably be a 30-06. In fact I would probably trade my .270 for a 30-06 if I could find a trade. Only because I would feel better about taking Elk sized animals if I ever get the chance. The .270 is a little flater shooting, but the 30-06 has more bullet options. The .243 is fine on anything up to white tail deer size and I've even read some of the hunting ranches that recommend them for hogs. I just loaded a bunch of 58 gr balistic tip bullets at about 3,600 fps for coyotes, but haven't had a chance to try them on anything other than paper. They sure shoot flat.

Before you make up your mind, look at Savage Arms. They have a new rifle that was voted best entry level rifle of the year. I bought one when it was called the "EDGE", in .223 Rem. Can't remember the new name at this minute. Ordered it with a scope mounted and bore sighted. It came with a 3-6x40 Bushnell and the first shot went into the 7 ring at 100 yards. I'm evry happy with the rifle, and the price was very reasonable. They list 7-8 different chamberings, and all of your choices are in the list.

Just my 2 cents, Dutchman

Before you make up your mind, look at Savage Arms. They have a new rifle that was voted best entry level rifle of the year. I bought one when it was called the "EDGE", in .223 Rem. Can't remember the new name at this minute. Ordered it with a scope mounted and bore sighted. It came with a 3-6x40 Bushnell and the first shot went into the 7 ring at 100 yards. I'm evry happy with the rifle, and the price was very reasonable. They list 7-8 different chamberings, and all of your choices are in the list.

Just my 2 cents, Dutchman

Both of my bolt guns are Savage. IMHO they are the most accurate out of the box gun you can get for under $1,000 (probably a lot more). When I bought my .270 I didn't like the scope that came on it. I changed it before ever firing it. When I took it to the range to sight it in with the new scope, the first two shot went through the same hole in the target. When I found a deal on the same rifle in .243 I couldn't pass it up. I like the adjustable triggers too.

I shot a .30-06 for years. No doubt about it, it's definitely one of the most versatile calibers out there. One of my sons moved to Utah and needed a good elk rifle. I told him to take the ought-six. Shortly thereafter, I picked up a .243. Yes, the .30-06 is more versatile, but I LOVE that little .243. I can shoot the thing all day long at the range and come home without feeling like I've done a couple rounds with Mike Tyson. I can take it hunting and can bring down anything I want to bring down here in our neck of the woods, except maybe for elk...and I've heard of guys taking elk with a .243, though I'd probably opt for something bigger.

Another caliber you might want to consider would be .308 Winchester. They tend to be very accurate and you can get relatively cheap military ammo to stash. I don't own one myself but wouldn't mind having one if I found one cheap just to have. I need another "deer rifle" like a dead horse needs flies so probably won't ever get one unless I find a deal too good to pass up.

Just something else to chew on. ;) You certainly can't go wrong with any of the 3 you mentioned.

JHC

I know this was not an choice. How about a 308? It is a very versitale round. Saw the post above mine as soon as I punched it in. I have had numerous .308's and they are very good.

I'll second (or third) the recommendation for the .308. Since you aren't planning on hunting with it, I assume that you just want an accurate platform. There will be many more options in match ammo available in .308 than any other caliber. Plus, as others have mentioned, you can shoot surplus 7.62 nato if you just want to plink.

For the rifle, I would suggest a Savage. IMO, they are the most accurate out of the box. Plus, most new Savages now come with the accutrigger which is a nice crisp trigger. A cheaper alternative is a Stevens which is essentially a Savage. With a Savage or Stevens, barrel (caliber) changes are easy to do yourself.

A caliber that is becoming popular with tactical shooters is the .260. It is pretty much a necked up .243 or a necked down .308 to take advantage of the superior balistics of the 6.5mm bullets. I was planning on rebarreling my Savage 10fp from .308 to .260, but got into the Cowboy stuff before getting around to it. ;)

Well, I started out with a 30-06 back in the day. Never saw the need for anything other for the little bit of hunting that I did. It is a great caliber. But if I were to opt for a one of a kind bolt action, I think I would go for the .243 if I was just going to shoot it for fun.

I read Jack O'Conner and I marveled at his .270 stories, but I ain't Jack O'Conner by a long way.

The 30-06 has a rainbow trajectory compared to the other two. The .243 might be a little flatter shooting. I would think a day at the range shooting chickens and goats with a scoped .243 might be a lot of fun.

Thanks all.

I ended up buying a .243

Like I said. Won't really be hunting with it. And if/when I do. The .243 should take what

I would be hunting anyway. No Elk hunt in my future.

Won't shoot it much.

BUT.

When I do. It will be 97% of the time at paper targets at the range.

Did not really want the recoil of the 30-06 after thinging about it.

The .243 should be more fun just to shoot at the range for awhile.

The wife may want to shoot it. Think she will like the .243 better also.

That is when I tell her I bought one. :huh: Or when she finds it in the safe.

Got a Mossberg 100 ATR

Has an adjustable trigger

Came with a scope. Not a great one. But for what I want it for. It will be OK.

Can put a better one on later if needed.

It was cheap enough. But for what I want. Will fill the bill.

And gets that wanting one out of the way. :unsure:

Will shoot it tomorrow and let you know how it does.

Thanks all for all the suggestions.

+1. The late great Jack O'Connor called the Winchester Model 70 in .270 "The Rifleman's Rifle."

Bummer, I wanted to get a vote in for my "cheaper than" rifle. I have the H&R Handirifle in 7-08. Plenty for deer, elk within reason. True 7mm, better ballistics than a 308. Better bullet than a 270. I have no love for the 243 on game.

I have a second barrel in 223.

With scopes, I have 2 rifles for under $400.

Good for groundhog to black bear.

...for coyotes 'round 'ere, it's my Ruger 22-250 with Hornady V-max rounds.

...30-06 for larger game, bullet varies accordingly.

...don't have one now, but the .270 I used to have was fine.

I have all 3 plus a cupple more when its all said and done the 30-06 is always my go to gun ...if you can't kill it with 06 in North America it just don't need to die.

I bought my son the Savage Axis for Christmas. It was the Edge, but Savage learned another gun was already called the Edge so they had to change the name. My son's is .243. The first three shot group I fired with it went .882 inch. That ain't bad for a 250 dollar rifle.

My son-in-law has the Mossberg ATR in .270. I like that rifle also. It'll shoot right around an inch.

Neither has a good trigger, but at least the Savage I can get a Rifle Basix for under $90.00. Probably for the Mossberg too, just haven't looked it up yet.

Don't hunt.

SO.

243, 270, or 30-06

Any thougts?????

IMO, the .243 is a little light for a full size feral hog, especially if you've got some of those old boars that run from between 200- up to 500-lbs. Would work with very precise shot placement, but I'd go bigger if you might get surprise shots.

OTOH, if you mean little Texas javelina, just about anything center fire will work :)

-Chris

Thanks all.

I ended up buying a .243

Like I said. Won't really be hunting with it. And if/when I do. The .243 should take what

I would be hunting anyway. No Elk hunt in my future.

Won't shoot it much.

BUT.

When I do. It will be 97% of the time at paper targets at the range.

Did not really want the recoil of the 30-06 after thinging about it.

The .243 should be more fun just to shoot at the range for awhile.

The wife may want to shoot it. Think she will like the .243 better also.

That is when I tell her I bought one. :huh: Or when she finds it in the safe.

Got a Mossberg 100 ATR

Has an adjustable trigger

Came with a scope. Not a great one. But for what I want it for. It will be OK.

Can put a better one on later if needed.

It was cheap enough. But for what I want. Will fill the bill.

And gets that wanting one out of the way. :unsure:

Will shoot it tomorrow and let you know how it does.

Thanks all for all the suggestions.

Well. As you see above I got the .243 and WOW. What a great shooting little gun this is.

For $300 this thing shoots great.

Stopped today to shoot it. Only one place I could stop today. And could only shoot at around

80 yards.

Did not have any targets so took a old cat litter jug.

It has a picture of a house cat on it. Same size as normal house cat.

Took 3 shots at the head. Went down to see if I was even on the jug or not.

3 holes touching each other in the head.

Not bad for a $300 gun not even sighted in yet.

Could not see any reason to adjust the scope. So went back and put 5 more in the same spot.

Will have to take it out and check it at 100-200 yards in a few week.

Gald I got the .243 Was a joy to shoot.

And really. It's only job will be to kill them paper targets.

As I said. I don't really ever hunt.

Dang, I was gettin ready to sell ya a 30-06 that's gathering dust in my safe! Not mine, my departed father in laws, mother in law needs the cash.

Anyway, glad you are happy with your purchase, sounds like a sweet shooting rifle.

Grizz

Add another vote for the '06.

It's got reach, it's got versatility (like factory loadings ranging from a sabot 55gr .223 to a 250gr) and it's got proven accuracy.

Besides, every little podunk country store that I've ever been in that sold ammo ALWAYS had some in stock (along with .38 Special, 12 gauge 2 3/4" and .30-30).

You can get a long gun version of a Chevy 350 with more parts and pieces available for it than Jimmy Carter has liver pills and factory ammo that's available everyplace except the McDonald's Drive-thru or you can go with something else and hope you can find what you want when you need it.

Well, the .243 is a pretty sweet LITTLE gun. :lol: My cabin rifle is a .243 single shot SS synthetic stock with a Bushnell 4x scope. Feels like a BB gun, yet still has astounding little recoil. Not the most accurate rifle in the rack, but plenty good for short to medium range. If I want to go for a hike I throw it over my shoulder and hardly know it's there.

JHC

Al, if that critter shoots like you say, and I don't doubt that it doesn't, it might be fun to take up silhouette target shooting with it. Knocking over the chickens and turkeys might be more fun than just punching holes in the paper.

When you get tired of that, get yourself a 300 Winmag for big things and the war to come.

Then the best and unmentioned, the .17 HMR; of course once the wife shoots it, you'll never see it again.

Good Luck to ya.

I've owned all three and hunted with all three. The one I still have...

It's got less recoil, ammo is less expensive, and it does the job just fine. Mine is very accurate with 95 gr bullets out to 300 yards. I've killed wild turkeys, hogs, and deer, and it's just a perfect caliber to me.

Would I use it to hunt an elk? No. But I live in Florida. As far as I know, there are no elk here.

Al, if that critter shoots like you say, and I don't doubt that it doesn't, it might be fun to take up silhouette target shooting with it. Knocking over the chickens and turkeys might be more fun than just punching holes in the paper.

I tell ya. I was shocked at how this thing shot. I was just hoping I could get it to hit the jug at all.

BUT. Well see how it does out at 200 yards rather than 80.

If you will hardly ever shoot it, get a 30-06.

Ditto that! Great all round caliber..and history to boot!

G (who LOVES his Springfield 1903A1) G ~ :FlagAm:

I tell ya. I was shocked at how this thing shot. I was just hoping I could get it to hit the jug at all.

BUT. Well see how it does out at 200 yards rather than 80.

Now you have hit my jealousy button. I have always lusted after the .243, like you, just for plinking.

I have a nice leupold 3 x 9 scope that would give me a bionic eye. But the safe is full and I hardly, if ever

shoot all that are in there. If I were to buy a .243 I would have to part with one of the others, and they are all like children.

Archived