SASS Wire Forum

92 refinish job

Tuco Taveras SASS#79313

Hey pards: I staring to work on my new 92 brass rossi.....here's the stumper..How do I go about removing the forearm stock?????This one has a 24 octagon barrel......looks to me like the fore end cap won't slide off the front of the magazine tube????Do I have to take the mag tube off to refinish the forearm???????Maybe I need to look up some diagrams........Thanks...Tuco.

Hello the camp! Pretty much, you're right. Remove the two forearm screws, then the front mag screw, and foreend will tip down and slide off the mag tube. See www.gunpartscorp.com or www.brownells.com for schematic; pretty straigth-forward. mm

OOPS!!! For 24" bbl, I probably forgot about mid-magtube screw--need to remove. mm

There's no mid magtube screw.

First remove the mag plug by removing the screw there on the bottom. Remove the spring and follower. Next, remove both forend cap screws and slide the cap forward some. Next, support the mag hanger and barrel in a padded vise and drift the pin out from the left side to the right. Next, use some heavy grease on the tube between the hanger and cap. Clamp the tube in the vise and gently work the gun off the tube. With the tube out past the forend cap tennon the fore wood will come off.

P.S. When you put it back together throw the plastic follower away and use my stainless version. :rolleyes:

Howdy Much Obliged for all your help! When ever I see you 've made a post I quickly read it ...always learned something even if it did not pertain to me.....I'll order the dvd and spring kit.......I thought it looked like there was alot to gettin' the forearm off....stripped the stock and just tapped off the forearm and rubbed it with scotch brite...both have nice wood ..but they don't quite match though...Thanks Again....Tuco.

Archived