SASS Wire Forum

1887 technique video

Deuce Stevens SASS#55996

B) Hello the Fire,

Cap Roundtree here.

Thanks Deuce, for some more tips on how to load the "87" with both hands never thought of this myself. Have been shooting one for quite awhile now. Boy there is a learning curve with this shotgun but once you get a system down it works real well.

You weren't kidding when it, "goes south" it DOES. I've had pards say "Cap" when you run your "87" you become the entertainment portion of the show. Thankfully those days are behind me now.

Cap

B) B) B)

Chili, how do I modify my 87 so that the carrier does not drop down so far as to cause the top shell to be below the chamber mouth? If I could get beyond that problem, I'd be shootin' my 87 a lot more. Very best regards, Morgan James

Howdy Morgan, the best way is to have someone like Coyote Cap or Lassiter do it for you. However, the poor boy method is to make a plug that goes between the magazine spring and follower.

You can make one by cutting down two hulls. Cut one to the top of the brass, cut the other with about 3/4" of plastic showing above the brass. Jam the longer one inside the "brass only" piece. You may have to whittle a bit of plastic out of the 'female' half. Put the plug between the magazine follower and spring and reassemble the magazine.

What this does is compress the magazine spring which puts more pressure on the magazine follower. This creates some drag on the front tab of the carrier on its downward travel, keeping it from dropping so easily to the bottom of the receiver. If you want more pressure on the follower, make your plug longer. It's not perfect, but it helps a bit. You'll want to take the plug out if you ever want to stoke the magazine to capacity, but that only takes a few minutes.

Good luck!

Howdy Morgan, the best way is to have someone like Coyote Cap or Lassiter do it for you. However, the poor boy method is to make a plug that goes between the magazine spring and follower.

You can make one by cutting down two hulls. Cut one to the top of the brass, cut the other with about 3/4" of plastic showing above the brass. Jam the longer one inside the "brass only" piece. You may have to whittle a bit of plastic out of the 'female' half. Put the plug between the magazine follower and spring and reassemble the magazine.

What this does is compress the magazine spring which puts more pressure on the magazine follower. This creates some drag on the front tab of the carrier on its downward travel, keeping it from dropping so easily to the bottom of the receiver. If you want more pressure on the follower, make your plug longer. It's not perfect, but it helps a bit. You'll want to take the plug out if you ever want to stoke the magazine to capacity, but that only takes a few minutes.

Good luck!

Deadwood, thank you very much... I will certainly give that a try. Very best regards, Morgan

Another nice video Deuce.

My '87 happens to be on it's way to Lassiter even as I type this! :)

That's great.....another Jedi GF shooting a Lassiter slicked up 87. :lol::lol::lol:

I might have to lobby for a new category to help me.....'GF who shoots the 97' :D

Jed I Knight: your gona love Lassiters work. And your competition won't! hehehe

..........Widder

BTT for another great video!

The 87 is now my favorite SG!!!

I've found that 90% of the problems with 87 disappear, when you load from the barrel to the action.

This uses the weight and force of the ammo to force the action open and up.

Avoids snagging the extractors, pushing the left cartridge stop down(witch pushes the carrier down), even the dreaded bottom shell partially in the barrel train wreck!!

I use the grab 4 method when ever I can!

I use the scoop method...left hand with 2 shells goes to the forearm, right hand with 2 shells goes to the barrel than back & down into the action, as I scoop up the shotgun.

Look the fingers into the lever as I shoulder,close and fire.

Second 2 rounds come from the forearm to the action as in the video...were off again!!

With all shotgun loading I can still hear my old baseball coach, "Look it into the Glove".

Then practice, practice, practice!!!!!!!!!

BH :wub:

Archived