SASS Wire Forum

1887 technique video

Deuce Stevens SASS#55996

Here is a video that I put together covering some 1887 technique. I know just enough about running these guns to hurt myself :D Would like to reference Fireball and Chili Pepper Pete for sharing their knowledge of running these guns with me. hope you enjoy 1887 technique

Thanks for the video Deuce....great job.

Noticed the Tombstone poster behind you.........I'm your Huckleberry..:-)..........Have one signed by the cast :rolleyes:

Great video, thanks for sharing.

Roy

Deuce you are a class act, we ask for and you deliver. You have me chomping at the bit to get my China version to Lassiter for some major attention. I feel sure that if I watch this two or three times a day until the gun comes back, I will be ready fer a trip to EOT fer sure! :lol: :lol:

Here is a video that I put together covering some 1887 technique. I know just enough about running these guns to hurt myself :D Would like to reference Fireball and Chili Pepper Pete for sharing their knowledge of running these guns with me. hope you enjoy 1887 technique

That was great. love my 87 even with fumbles.(70 Yr. old) I see that I can improve on my technique.

If I only had younger hands!!!

Thanks

CCBA

Woooohoooooo I got my name mentioned in a "Deuce" Video Yeaaaa Me :P All kidding aside this is a great video, and it covers all the info you need to shoot your 87 competitivly. This video and about 20,000 dry fire runs because Deuce is right on when he said it takes practice, gobbs and gobbs of practice.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together, Great job Deuce.

One comment to something that Deuce said about the starting position of the carrier, I too always start with mine in the up position not only because of the positive click it makes when the shells go in, but on my 87 the lever stays a little bit more open when picking the gun up. IE with the carrier down, the lever tends to close slighty when you pick the gun off a prop. I am not sure if this is common or not. With the carrier up the lever has more tention and stays open. FWIW

Best regards,

Chili

Rube, he had the drop two mod and slickup done by Fireball.

I have been shooting a Lassiter original for a couple of years and a Lassiter Chiappa for about 6 months and I am proud to say that I am now half as fast as Deuce's 50/60 percent speed. :lol:

Deuce makes it look easy in the video and Lassiter, Chili Pepper Pete, Fireball and others make it look easy in person. It's not. As others have said, to master the '87 requires tons of practice-more than any other firearm used in this sport.

I used to get my '87 (Norinco set up by Lassiter) out for a match or two, get frustrated and go back to whatever. It was only when I noticed some "mere mortal" shooters doing well with the '87 that I decided I could tame the thing. I finally stopped shooting any other shotgun and worked only with the '87. I made up dummies and practiced at home, something I almost never did with other guns. I even had the gun and belt full of dummies stashed just off the kitchen and would put the belt on in my bathrobe and run dummies each morning before work while my coffee was brewing.

I'm pretty fair with the '87 now and if I can do it, anyone can.

I have noticed that most shooters seem to fare better with the strong hand reload and I no longer try to do the weak hand reload that seems especially popular in Michigan. I know that Lassiter times everything and approaches this sport scientifically and he uses the strong hand reload exclusively.

I also don't try to pull four shells. I have small hands and think any time saved pulling four shells would be lost to clumsy gun handling with my hands full, but that's just me.

Buffy as far as loading technique it really depends on the shooter. Fireball was putting up the same splits that Lassiter does right now 10 years ago using the weak hand. With this gun it's all the practice.

Allie

You can still do the load two even if the gun has not been modifide. Basicly with out the mod the top shell drops below the chamber mouth. what you can do is put the shells in the gun and use the thumb of the loading hand to start the the top shell. your just going to lightly push the top shell forward as it clears the top of the reciever. Its kind of a timing thing so give it a try it and see if that works any better for you.

Best regards,

Chili

Allie

You can still do the load two even if the gun has not been modifide. Basicly with out the mod the top shell drops below the chamber mouth. what you can do is put the shells in the gun and use the thumb of the loading hand to start the the top shell. your just going to lightly push the top shell forward as it clears the top of the reciever. Its kind of a timing thing so give it a try it and see if that works any better for you.

Best regards,

Chili

Chili, how do I modify my 87 so that the carrier does not drop down so far as to cause the top shell to be below the chamber mouth? If I could get beyond that problem, I'd be shootin' my 87 a lot more. Very best regards, Morgan James

Duece; As many have said and all of us know....you are a class act. Others would profit by selling the same quality video. It's because of you and others of your level that make this sport what it is. I know of no other sport where top shooters assist others to get better. I appreciate your personal assistance with my ammo thing and look forward to seeing you in the spring.

Best to KJ and Mason.

KK

Another good instructional video Deuce, I love the shotshell stacking technique - loads sweet!! ...that looks like the same 'original' Winchester you let me shoot, it was the smoothest lever action ever that I had shot!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Archived