SASS Wire Forum

LEOs: What is your favorite way to end line-up?

Cyrus Cassidy #45437

When I was a rookie, I worked for a Sergeant who was a cop's cop. He bent over backwards for officers who had done the right thing but ended up in a bad light anyway (LEOs know exactly what I mean, especially regarding armchair quarterbacks), and he was never afraid to stand up to the brass when they were wrong. On the same note, if you were out of line he'd lay the hammer down. He wrote me up twice and I deserved both of them. Once he presented me with a Commander's Commendation and a write-up on the same day.

I was assigned to him when I first completed my field training and he asked where I wanted to take my career. I told him that being a detective in our Sex Crimes / Crimes Against Children unit was my ultimate goal in life (and it still is). Although I had gotten good marks on my report writing when I was in training, I understood those marks meant I was good for a rookie. It was relative; my reports did not stack up to a seasoned officer or a detective. Because he had an extensive background in investigations, I asked him to be a bear with my reports, not to pull any punches, and help develop my report writing skills to detective-level work. He agreed. He kicked back reports that would otherwise have gone through and took the time to sit down with me and go over how a stellar detective would have written it. Then I'd re-do the report until I got it right.

I have never tested to get into that unit because of my Army Reserve committment, but it remains my number one goal in life. I do, however, have a department-wide reputation for my report-writing abilities. One time a DA even called my Sergeant (a different one) to tell him how pleased he was with a report I had written. When I served in our DUI Enforcement unit I created a new report-writing system that is now a department-wide policy. I owe all of this to my old Sergeant, who is still a Sergeant, now in investigations where he belongs.

But my absolute most favorite thing about the man was how he always ended line-up: "Let's go kick some doors."

LEOs, what are your favorite ways to end line-up?

Lawofficer.com currently has a "Below 100" initiative going on. It's been 65 years since there was less than 100 officers killed in the line of duty in a year. Their initiative is pushing for officers to recognize and avoid those self initiated activities that are getting cops killed on a daily basis. Here's the basis:

1. Wear Your Seatbelt | 2. Watch Your Speed | 3. Wear Your Vest

4. WIN-What's Important Now? | 5. Remember: Complacency Kills!

Every time one of my guys starts out the door, I tell them "Below 100".

"Alright, Let's get them in". Referring to relieving the previous shift so they can come in to the precinct.

All the safety reminders are covered regularly during roll call at the beginning of the shift.

At the KCMO PD basement there are two garage doors, in & out, and between them is the pedestrian door. Only cops are allowed in the building through the basement. As you exit out the door there is a sign above the door which has been there over 80 years which reads, "When you leave this Building YOU are the Police Department!"

Archived