SASS Wire Forum

This may be a don't ask don't tell kind of thing...

Grizzly Dave

Grizz

I find this topic very interesting.

I always obey the rules of the range I'm at. If it's cold the carry weapon is secured in the trunk until I leave.

What is interesting to me is the concept of a cold range to begin with.

Isn't the range a direct beneficiary of the 2nd Amendment we all hold so dear? And yet the range rules say you must disarm yourself to be there.

Same with gun stores. Always cracks me up to see a sign on a gun store window

"No loaded firearms allowed in the store".

And yet everyone behind the counter is locked and loaded. Seems like a double standard to me.

Just my 2 pennies.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it interesting that so many folks who would be at the front of the line defending gun rights don't want folks, who are already carrying several guns and ammunition for them, to carry a loaded and hidden firearm.

I have to ask, what are you folks afraid will happen? If it isn't needed nobody should be the wiser. If it is, thank goodness they've got it ready.

Why wouldn't it bother you to be standing next to Utah Bob or the Blue Steel Duke with a locked and loaded 1911 under his coat standing in the local Safeway Store (and "By God, they've got the right to"), yet it bugs (some of) you to think they might have a .380 in their back pocket at a cowboy match.

I must admit I'm a might confused at this "logic". It sounds too much like the whole anti-gun/anti-CCW arguements to me.

I can understand the logic of having the cowboy guns unloaded, so please don't go off on that tangent.

Ya'll can do what you want as far as I'm concerned. Carry 'em, leave 'em in the car, whatever you like.

Black Angus McPherson

p.s. Any of ya'll that want to carry a CCW at a match are welcome to shoot on my posse. It won't bother me atall.

I have also wondered this, but I always leave my CCW gun in the car.

For what its worth, I could probably pick up and load 2 in my SxS quicker than I could get my CCW gun out if someone did something stupid.

Now, if I could just figure out how to CCW my SxS....

I might be weird (okay, strike the might be), but I want those who can legally carry concealed -- to carry.

At most matches there is a considerable amount of money in the till, to say nothing of the guns and ammunition in great abundance. We're all safer when the crooks don't know who's armed. UB with a heater in his pocket is a GOOD thing, why does that change when he's on the range?

If the crooks glance around they will see that EVERYONE is armed. The only thing I worry about is someone dressed in period dress walking in unarmed and walking out well armed. YOu could steal thousands of dollars of guns with one trip in and out. But I don't need a concealed gun to stop that, if I see it.....

My EDC goes under the truck seat while I'm shooting. If acting as Match Director and not shooting it's in my pocket where it lives unless I'm on base.

Just (yes, in California) George

I don't see the need to carry at a SASS match, it can stay in the truck. If someone feels there is a "loose cannon" at the match and said "loose cannon" wants to do harm, you are wearing belts of shotgun shells/bullets.........load fast.

Blue Steel Duke.......not to hijack the thread, but around here if you carry any gun (concealed or otherwise) into a post office and get caught.......you are in BIG TROUBLE.

CS

If a person is licensed and has gone through training, then why is there so many places that we are not suppose to carry a gun?

I find it interesting that so many folks who would be at the front of the line defending gun rights don't want folks, who are already carrying several guns and ammunition for them, to carry a loaded and hidden firearm.

I have to ask, what are you folks afraid will happen? If it isn't needed nobody should be the wiser. If it is, thank goodness they've got it ready.

Why wouldn't it bother you to be standing next to Utah Bob or the Blue Steel Duke with a locked and loaded 1911 under his coat standing in the local Safeway Store (and "By God, they've got the right to"), yet it bugs (some of) you to think they might have a .380 in their back pocket at a cowboy match.

I must admit I'm a might confused at this "logic". It sounds too much like the whole anti-gun/anti-CCW arguements to me.

I can understand the logic of having the cowboy guns unloaded, so please don't go off on that tangent.

Ya'll can do what you want as far as I'm concerned. Carry 'em, leave 'em in the car, whatever you like.

Black Angus McPherson

p.s. Any of ya'll that want to carry a CCW at a match are welcome to shoot on my posse. It won't bother me atall.

It ain't a matter of being afraid of a loaded gun or the man carrying it. it is a matter of respecting your host when in his "house (range). This bit of "rules for everybody but me" sounds like congress, and frankly, chaps my hide. If yer host range has a rule, respect it. If ya can't abide the rule, vote with yer feet. Don't disrespect yer host.

It seems to me that what OP is really asking is what is your comfort level when in public? Based on history of criminal acts strong cases can be made for carrying to the local Stop and Rob and other businesses and places where criminal activity is known to occur. Likewise strong case for carrying can be made if you have had threats made to you or your occupation, such as a narc or undercover officer, likely. Finally the neighborhood and community you live in is a factor.

If you are a person whose comfort level compels you to carry everywhere when in public then SASS is not for you.

For starters where the heck are you going to pack a heater where you can get to it quickly concealed on your person wearing all of cowboy gear and other guns? In the gun cart doesn't count. And SASS has a pesky rule that all guns worn on the firing lines must be empty and inspected when leaving.

Second there is not any history of a robbery or violent felony involving a firearm ever occuring at a match by someone coming in off the street that I know about. If so please post the details. The safest place I feel comfortable in is at a shooting match where most everyone is armed.

Third while I actually favor HOT ranges if the rules call for a cold range then they should be followed. A shooter that ignores the rules by packing heat is showing a reckless disregard for match rules and the safety of other match attendees.

However my position when shooting at a range for practice is just the opposite. My gun club range is in a rural area and on occasion individuals on the low end of the evolutionary scale have been seen parked on the road watching the range. As a result I make it a point to keep a loaded gun on me at all times. My caution is based on the fact that I know of gun owners being murdered and their weapons stolen while out a range practicing.

Of all the "shooting sprees" or whatever they call these incidents that have happened around the country, has there ever been one at a shooting match? I don't recall hearing of one, other than the suicides/homicides with rented guns at public ranges.

I would think that a nutjob who intends to inflict mass casualties would go to an area where the chance of armed opposition is low. A shooting match wouldn't seem to be high on the list.

Guns are EVIL and I would never ever carry one...and if'n what I just said ain't 100% true then my name ain't Matthew Duncan...

If a person is licensed and has gone through training, then why is there so many places that we are not suppose to carry a gun?

Federal buildings, police stations, professional sporting events, school facilities, detention facilities/jails, polling places, courthouses, sterile areas of airports,"places of nuisance" and several other places are some of the locations where it is prohibited to carry a concealed weapon by law in Florida. I'm sure there are more.

Why are there so many places where you are prohibited from carrying a gun lawfully? Good question.....probably for another (new) thread.

When I'm at a SASS match I sure as hell don't feel unarmed.

If you are a person whose comfort level compels you to carry everywhere when in public then SASS is not for you.

Oh,really??? Funny, but I've been shootin' CAS for 13 years, and I feel compelled to carry everywhere when in public. My life is too valuable to me to lose it when I wasn't carryin' because it made someone else uncomfortable. You're on your own out there.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away(if they respond at all!)

Or, when seconds count, can you grab and load an empty gun before you or someone else gets shot?

Why are there so many places where you are prohibited from carrying a gun lawfully? Good question.....probably for another (new) thread.

Because they want practice telling us we CAN'T carry. And mass murderers need a place to operate safely.

Black Angus McPherson

Yeah, what Black Angus said. I am with you brother

She's a liberal, although she does support gun rights. She asked me what I was afraid of that influenced me to carry.

I love this question from liberals. No offense to your sister but, it shows once again their inability to use logic. What am I afraid of that makes me carry a gun? I'm not afraid of a darn thing, I'm the one with the gun. ;)

Many years ago I used to carry my J frame in my pocket at matches because of a guy that gave off some very bad vibes. I stopped after he kidnapped his ex girlfriend, raped and beat her then tied her up so she could watch while he blew his head off with a shotgun. As I recall, she was tied to that chair for a while before someone found her. In discussions afterwords I found out I was not the only one who had kept a gun on them at matches because of this guy. I have never felt the need to do it since.

No way am I a gun control guy but when will we be able to get these wackos off the street before they can do the kidnapping, raping and killing, or only one of the 3?????????????

Wondering

What is the mean time to get a concealed fire arm into action when dressed in your SASS Suit carrying the 2 unloaded pistols and ammo belt vs the time it takes to grab the shotgun off the cart and stuff 2 in the chamber to hold of the bad guys long enough to load the rifle?

Most claim the only reason to take a pistol to a gun fight is you don't own a rifle. Flame on

Because some people do not understand that a "safe zone" is an oxymoron.

If I've got cowboy guns on, I'm not carrying otherwise...but I wouldn't care a bit for other cowboys to do so. While there could be short periods of time when I might wish I was closer to a gun (if a nut showed up), I don't worry while I'm at a cowboy match.

I've seen enough nuts in my life to realize that not all nuts would be deterred by the number of guns at a cowboy match, but thankfully most nuts are not that nutty. The only time I worry is when I have to go to a nut zone...I mean a safe zone.

I love this question from liberals. No offense to your sister but, it shows once again their inability to use logic. What am I afraid of that makes me carry a gun? I'm not afraid of a darn thing, I'm the one with the gun. ;)

So Philly, you've met my sister? :lol::lol:

Truthfully, it's not their lack of logic. It's just that their logic is from an alternate reality!! :wacko::rolleyes::lol:

Because some people do not understand that a "safe zone" is an oxymoron.

If I've got cowboy guns on, I'm not carrying otherwise...but I wouldn't care a bit for other cowboys to do so. While there could be short periods of time when I might wish I was closer to a gun (if a nut showed up), I don't worry while I'm at a cowboy match.

I've seen enough nuts in my life to realize that not all nuts would be deterred by the number of guns at a cowboy match, but thankfully most nuts are not that nutty. The only time I worry is when I have to go to a nut zone...I mean a safe zone.

You gettin' all squirrelly out there in Alabama? You better call Sugah immediately about your nuts. :D:lol: :lol:

Had an interesting talk on this subject with a board member of one of our local ranges about 6 months back. We have a section of the range that is "cold" and the subject of CCW came up. He said that their attorney (yeah, one of those) said that "no loaded guns" (except law enforcement) in the area meant exactly that: not on your person or in your car, only on the firing line and that any violation could result in loss of range priviledges and possible legal problems. I still leave mine in the truck, anyway.

Most of us SASS folk probably have a CCW permit and gripe an raise hell bout any business tha forbid us ta carry on there property, up ta saying I will not enter. But we folk don't miss a step when told we run a cold range. No CCW weapons here. BY God not even in your car!!!!!!

"CONTROL" a very large word

RRR

Oh,really??? Funny, but I've been shootin' CAS for 13 years, and I feel compelled to carry everywhere when in public.

So what you are saying is you totally disregard cold range rules at SASS matches. I won't judge you as only you know how many enemies you have made and when they might show up but I can't help but wonder what other rules you ignore because it is too inconvenient?

Don't Ask, Don't Tell.........

When the perp or Zeta's have you boys drop your gunbelts and step away from your carts, then what-cha-gonna do?

I think a line of well armed zoot shooters in black vests and AR's would have their long range fun at a SASS shoot, if they wanted to.

Don't ask, don't tell.

Nobody's business.

+1, my goodness guys, you can trust a guy with a loaded gun on his hip but not in his pocket, come on, think this one out, it's absurd.

I prefer everyone have a hideout. And it's required to carry on my ranch............

+1

Let's see here:

2 Rugers carried in a gunbelt with ammo in cartriage loops- Check

1 12 gauge coach gun on gun cart, loading table, or in my hands- Check

1 '73 on gun cart, loading table, or in my hands- Check

30-50 well armed pards that know how to shoot fast- Check

What exactly would be the purpose of having a .380 in your pocket?

lets see

30-50 folks with unloaded firearms

I can get my .380 our faster than you can load

nannie-nannie-b00-b00

LOL-LOL

Mine is always with me, either concealed on my person or under lock and key in the car.

What's in the car is my business and no-one else's...period.

Got enuff guns handy when at a CAS match, don't need to carry one concealed then.

But on the way to and on the way from it is a different story.

We don't need a permit here anymore, but everyone that

I know that carries at all has taken the State ACHP training and keeps their permit valid...

It's good in a whole bunch of "other" states too.

Absurd is the word. SASS is way too infested with closet hoplophobes. Anyone against CC ANYwhere is playing into the hands of the antis. Make up your mind. You can't be lukewarm. Either ye are with us or ye are agin us. A gun free zone is nothing more than a victim disarmament zone and only sheeple obey such nonsense. A gun free zone is nothing more than a target rich environment for the nut jobs who I assure will ignore the gun free zone rules.

That said, it stays in the car at a CAS match as I have the utmost confidence in my ability to whup shells out of my Tupelo Bando which is always on and fire my sg for effect on any rattlesnakes, no legged two legged or 4 legged.

I got no problem with any pard with a snub in his boot or a 380 in his pocket.

I can't believe that so many folks think it's ok to break any ol' rule they want to... Even many police ranges are "cold" ranges... yep, you unload yer duty gun when you enter the range, load with practice/qualifying ammo under the direction of the range master/officer and shoot away... reload with duty ammo when you return to your car, etc. EVEN IF YER ON DUTY!

Know how come so many policemen get shot at the range? BECAUSE SOME YAHOO CAN'T FOLLOW THE RULES! Or has a mental lapse. And if you think you're immune from that little scenario, you ain't got the sense God gave a gnat! Anyone, anytime can have a brain fade... it doesn't require a timer going "BEEEEP"!

SAFETY PRACTICES

FIRST' date=' LAST, AND ALWAYS

1. Treat and respect every firearm at all times as if it were loaded.

3. [i']All firearms shall[/i] remain unloaded except when under the direct observation of a Range Officer on the firing line or in the loading area.

37. Competitors shall unload each of their firearms at the designated unloading area and have them visually inspected to make sure all chambers empty...

My definitions of ALL and SHALL are inclusive and compulsory. You are not given a choice. Our range is a "COLD RANGE"...

If you're so fearful of a SHTF scenario, then possibly, cowboy shootin' ain't yer cup of tea... you might be better prepared by attending 3-gun matches... oh, wait, they have rules about loaded guns away from the firing lines also... Maybe Steel Challenge... nope, speed plates... nope, skeet... nope, trap... sporting clays... oh my GAWD, you're SOL in EVERY shooting sport I can think of. Maybe there's one, somewhere...

And yes, if you think that I think less of you because you need to carry a loaded, concealed weapon at a cowboy match... you're right.

And trained? Get real. If you think going to CCW (HCL in TX) classes somehow train you to be a safer, more attentive gun owner... that only applies if you've NEVER had ANY training previously! And, IMO, it ain't nearly enough. 18 weeks of POST training (in some states), 1400+ hours of directly supervised on the street training, and we still have accidental shootings by police officers... "I was just showing my bud how fast I can draw outta this new holster!" It ain't that uncommon an excuse because some idjit shows off. Frankly, the majority of folks licensed to carry (by right of Statute for Police Officer or CCW), scare me far more than some off the chart probability of an idjit or gang of idjits coming to a GUN RANGE to commit murder and mayhem.

Really, Lone Dog, hoplophobes/ absurd? :lol: That same definition is one I'd use to describe some that feels compelled to carry 100% of the time, regardless of the range rules. That line in the sand is ridiculous. And we ain't talkin' a "gun free zone" at a gun range, now are we?

Federal buildings, police stations, professional sporting events, school facilities, detention facilities/jails, polling places, courthouses, sterile areas of airports,"places of nuisance" and several other places are some of the locations where it is prohibited to carry a concealed weapon by law in Florida. I'm sure there are more.

You're correct, but please remember the numerous LEO's and BOLD members that populate SASS. They are exempt from most of the places you mention and with the proper training and certification they also may fly armed anywhere in the US. Private property is the one glaring exception, including SASS matches :wacko:

BSD

It ain't a matter of being afraid of a loaded gun or the man carrying it. it is a matter of respecting your host when in his "house (range). This bit of "rules for everybody but me" sounds like congress, and frankly, chaps my hide. If yer host range has a rule, respect it. If ya can't abide the rule, vote with yer feet. Don't disrespect yer host.

So far this is the only response I've seen that really makes sense to me. However, I may still think my host is a fool.

BTW,if I can go off on a slight tanget here... should the SHTF at a match, I for one, won't be standing there grabbing or loading a gun. The first thing I'm gonna do is get the h*ll out of the way and behind some cover. I'm not gonna stand up and fight, I'm gonna run, hide and shoot back from some serious cover, if at all possible. Call me a coward, but I plan on going home in one piece after any fracas. As the man said, "If you find yourself in a fair fight you're doing it wrong."

Sorry, one more thing, I don't buy any arguement that starts with, "It's never happened yet..." or "Show me where _____ ever happened."

Well, a space shuttle never blew up before Challenger and nobody ever killed nobody until Cain killed Able. Ain't nuthin' ever happened until the first time. That's just one of my pet peeves.

Angus (think I'm done with this here thread) McPherson

Archived