SASS Wire Forum

This may be a don't ask don't tell kind of thing...

Grizzly Dave

Like the title says, it might be a don't ask don't tell kind of thing, but I wonder if some folks carry concealed at cowboy matches. I imagine that some do, and wouldn't want to admit it publicly.

My mind wanders to weird places sometimes, I've been wondering this for a while, so thought I'd pose the question here.

Grizz

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I carry to the match, but leave it properly secured in my vehicle.

Doc

Like the title says, it might be a don't ask don't tell kind of thing, but I wonder if some folks carry concealed at cowboy matches. I imagine that some do, and wouldn't want to admit it publicly.

My mind wanders to weird places sometimes, I've been wondering this for a while, so thought I'd pose the question here.

Grizz

Doc

Yup. And our range is not a public one and the vehicles are all in sight.

I don't imagine that there's been a time...at least I can't think of one off hand.. that I haven't had mine in the truck. Pushing a cart with 5-6 guns and 200-300 rounds of ammo I can't rightly say that I've ever even considered the need for anything else at the range. Why would you?

Many years ago I used to carry my J frame in my pocket at matches because of a guy that gave off some very bad vibes. I stopped after he kidnapped his ex girlfriend, raped and beat her then tied her up so she could watch while he blew his head off with a shotgun. As I recall, she was tied to that chair for a while before someone found her. In discussions afterwords I found out I was not the only one who had kept a gun on them at matches because of this guy. I have never felt the need to do it since.

At my home club we have a cold range as well, but our State CCW is an exception to that. Seems kinda silly to me to restrict carry at a gun club or range. Folks do it and will continue to do so.

Never occured to me to CCW at a match. Like AJ says most of our ranges are cold so it would kind of tourque me off if I learned someone was shooting the match and carrying a hideout gun. Brother King has a good point too, with all the iron around and some portion of the shooters loaded damn near all the time I have never felt the need. Granted there are normally 12 rounds of 44-40 on my gun belt that could be loaded in case of emergency but that shotshell belt above it and the proximity to anyones shotgun would probably be faster.

Doc if someone like your guy had warning bells going off in my head I'd talk with the MD and let them know of your concerns, heck I've done it over shooters I felt were unsafe to be around. If I thought someone was a threat to me about the last thing I'd want to do is bring them into a situation with my friends and all their guns, wait a minute that didnt come out right.

Lock it up and leave it in the vehicle.

Grizz,

I have to say that you came up with a doozy of a question. Like the others, I've never felt the need to carry at a match, but on the other hand if we replaced one word in your original post to say the Post Office, grocery store or Walmart, instead of a match, we'd all be fighting for the constitutional right to carry. I guess if a nut slipped in unannounced and opened up on us, I'd go for the Coach Gun first. Again, a great question and I'm guessing 3 pages of replies before it's pulled :D

BSD

I don't. But it wouldn't bother me if others did.

Anyhow, ya gotta adhere to what GCK said. I might be against range rules, etc.....and get ya a long 'time out' period from that range.

..........Widder

Many years ago I used to carry my J frame in my pocket at matches because of a guy that gave off some very bad vibes. I stopped after he kidnapped his ex girlfriend, raped and beat her then tied her up so she could watch while he blew his head off with a shotgun. As I recall, she was tied to that chair for a while before someone found her. In discussions afterwords I found out I was not the only one who had kept a gun on them at matches because of this guy. I have never felt the need to do it since.

Always trust your gut although mine says that I shouldn't post this.

I might be weird (okay, strike the might be), but I want those who can legally carry concealed -- to carry.

At most matches there is a considerable amount of money in the till, to say nothing of the guns and ammunition in great abundance. We're all safer when the crooks don't know who's armed. UB with a heater in his pocket is a GOOD thing, why does that change when he's on the range?

When I go to a match I tend to feel like there's several to hundreds of people there that would watch my back in an emergency, as I would watch theirs. Probably one of the safest feelings I have in my life is when shooting with SASS Pards.

I sure wouldn't want to be the fool that opened up at a SASS Match. I'm sure he/she wouldn't get too far in his/her endeavour before being put out of business.

Besides that, I have all I need on the gun cart in the event that a situation would arise.

I can't really see that happening though.

CCW stays in the truck.

Good question, Grizz.

;)

~EE Taft~

Pardon me, but this is a huge load of horse hockey.

A person with a properly secured CCW weapon, properly licensed and trained, (which is mandatory), is no more of a threat to anyone at a range than he/she is at Wal-Mart's or JC Penny's, or the First National Bank. To say or think differently is ludicrous. Anyone unlicensed? That's a different story. However there should be no restrictions on a properly licensed CCW holder, other than those mandated by the issuing authority, which is the State.

No, I have never felt the need for mine, but wouldn't have the first reservation if someone did. That's what you obtain the license for. To arm yourself when you feel the need might present it'self.

RBK

I don't see the need to carry at a SASS match, it can stay in the truck. If someone feels there is a "loose cannon" at the match and said "loose cannon" wants to do harm, you are wearing belts of shotgun shells/bullets.........load fast.

Blue Steel Duke.......not to hijack the thread, but around here if you carry any gun (concealed or otherwise) into a post office and get caught.......you are in BIG TROUBLE.

CS

Whatever... I'm with BSD. If the SHTF I'm going for my coach gun or my '73 not my 340PD even if it was in my pocket.

That said, I have a friend :rolleyes: who doesn't much care what the sign on the building says. His attitude is that the only way you're ever gonna know is if it's out barking. His view (supported by every major tragedy in the last 20 years or more) is that the most dangerous place to be is in a GUN FREE ZONE. :ph34r:

My sister asked me about felons living near her and what I thought. I told her that I didn't worry as much about it because I have a carry permit, the proper training and reasonable knowledge of my neighborhood, as well as good equipment and a good home and self defense plan.

She's a liberal, although she does support gun rights. She asked me what I was afraid of that influenced me to carry. I explained the family and property protection aspects and the fact that at times I carry large amounts of money and valuables. As to what I am afraid of, it's needing my weapon and not having it.

At the range I put my carry piece in the truck and lock it after I set up my cart, when I strap on my match guns.

I do carry everywhere except the post office and the courthouse, and the security folks at the courthouse know me and take care of my weapon from my arrival until my departure with courtesy and a smile. 'S kinda how it oughta' be, don'tcha' think?

We run a HOT range here. The majority of our shooters are either LE, Military or civilians with carry permits. I could care less who has a loaded concealed firearm on. We are a private club and while somewhat open to the public, we screen all our non-military participants. Our matches are run according to the sponsoring organizations rules. We run a "cold" range during SASS, IDPA, USPSA, etc. shoots as far as the firearms actually being used to meet rule requirements, but we really don't care if you have a loaded concealed firearm on your person. For our LE, "contractor", military, etc. programs we run a hot range so a concealed firearm is a mute issue.

A person with a properly secured CCW weapon, properly licensed and trained, (which is mandatory), is no more of a threat to anyone at a range than he/she is at Wal-Mart's or JC Penny's, or the First National Bank. To say or think differently is ludicrous. Anyone unlicensed? That's a different story. However there should be no restrictions on a properly licensed CCW holder, other than those mandated by the issuing authority, which is the State.

No, I have never felt the need for mine, but wouldn't have the first reservation if someone did. That's what you obtain the license for. To arm yourself when you feel the need might present it'self.

RBK

Sort of.

If you are licensed --- great!

BUT in Colorado (and I think most other states) a private entity (such as my home club) has the authority to say no loaded guns or no guns at all while on their premises.

The signage requirements vary as to how they announce that policy but when you sign a liability waiver (at least at our club) it is described as a cold range and that is that.

Therefore having a CCW gun on you (by definition ready for use and loaded) is a violation of their policies and could subject you to their sanctions INCLUDING losing range privileges.

YMMV

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

BTW I can neither confirm nor deny whether my CCW is in the truck or not. :D If I had a CCW that is :D

When I go to a match I tend to feel like there's several to hundreds of people there that would watch my back in an emergency, as I would watch theirs. Probably one of the safest feelings I have in my life is when shooting with SASS Pards.

I sure wouldn't want to be the fool that opened up at a SASS Match. I'm sure he/she wouldn't get too far in his/her endeavour before being put out of business.

Besides that, I have all I need on the gun cart in the event that a situation would arise.

;)

~EE Taft~

+1

Let's see here:

2 Rugers carried in a gunbelt with ammo in cartriage loops- Check

1 12 gauge coach gun on gun cart, loading table, or in my hands- Check

1 '73 on gun cart, loading table, or in my hands- Check

30-50 well armed pards that know how to shoot fast- Check

What exactly would be the purpose of having a .380 in your pocket?

I figure it this way. Yes I am licensed, yes I can carry almost anywhere except in a court house or school, and yes, I have my rights. But when the range rules say cold range, no loaded guns except from the LT to the ULT, have all the SASS rules in effect, then me, and every other NYS resident SASS shooter (In nys ya can't own a handgun without a permit), but we are also guests at somebody else's range (members included, as you abide by house rules), and we ought to respect that or go find somewhere else to play.

+1

Let's see here:

The problem with your statement is the loading time. If an Arizona copy cat walked in with a semi-auto and multiple 33 round magazines, how many rounds could he get off before you load your SA? Understanding the Coach Gun is probably the quickest and easiest to load, many, many rounds could be fired while you attempt to load 2 rounds of ineffective birdshot. I understand this is a no win topic and probably would never happen to any of us, but I'm sure the Arizona victims had the same thought that morning.

P.S. My choice would be a Glock 19, not a .380!

BSD

+1 BSD

2 possible scenarios:

1) All pards are standing away from their carts, with hat in hand, reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, when BGs appear.

2) Guns are all put away after the match, and the pards and pardettes are enjoying burgers around the depot, when BGs appear.

To my simplistic understanding, having CCWs carry has positive benefits with no real cost.

But, what the heck do I know? I will likely never be able to get a CCW while I live in the Grate State of Kalifornium.

RBK

You better check the rules at your range. At our local range here in Az, a great big sign as you enter that says if you have a loaded gun on your person see the range master immediately (and he will see that the gun(s) gets unloaded before you are allowed to shoot). Not doing so will lose your privilege to shoot at the range.

+1

Let's see here:

EXACTLY.... :huh:

So you walk up to the unloading table and the officer there says have you unloaded all your guns (thinking I have this 380 auto loaded in my back pocket), do you lie to him or her or do you just take your penalties for leaving the unloading table with a loaded gun and go home? A cold range is a cold range is a cold range is a cold range.

Doc

I do the same Doc and I always feel safe to do so.

Ghost

Archived