SASS Wire Forum

Shiloh Sharps 1874

Guest Woody Canton

Guest Woody Canton

Working with a gun that has Montana Vintage Arms sights. The spring catches the detente in a position that keeps the rear sight ventricle from lining up parallel with the barrel. The problem is that a bad angle will make the view fuzzy as it goes oval from being presented at the correct angle. Has anybody had this issue? A possible fix may be to shim the sight tang-plate or get a longer spring to make it fit the detente to the proper angle. I do not see any parts available for MVA Sights. May need to get a gunsmith to make one up.

Any body else been blessed with this issue?

I have welded up the notch on the ladder part of the sight.

Leveled the sight to the barrel until the peep opening was clearest.

Marked the sight and filed in a new notch.

Not a big issue if you have access to the equipment.

Can even be silver soldered with a small hobby torch.

Guest Woody Canton

I have welded up the notch on the ladder part of the sight.

Leveled the sight to the barrel until the peep opening was clearest.

Marked the sight and filed in a new notch.

Not a big issue if you have access to the equipment.

Can even be silver soldered with a small hobby torch.

I will give that some consideration. Since ya move the sight almost every time for transport, I was concerned with ware effect over time.

Thanks for the pointer.

Woody Canton SASS # 88389

"Since ya move the sight almost every time for transport..."

Well you're going to find that every time you pull the trigger you will have to reset the sight as the recoil will cause it to move forward. Any your hat will on occasion hit the sight as recoil moves the rifle back.

If you weld up the notch and made new, repairing it is just as easy should wear ever become a problem.

Guest Woody Canton

Don't go weldin on nothin!The leaf spring that apllies tension to the sight staff has an elongated hole.Loosen the screw,adjust the staff then retighten screw.Theres a reason MVA's are the best sight in the country,and it ain't cause they need welded or shimed

I will take a closer look at that one. Sometimes I think I have been hit in the head too many times.

Thanks

Guest Woody Canton

It won't look elongated because the screw head coversa it,but trust me, when you loosen the screw the spring will move fore and aft.I have 3 sets of MVA's and they are adjustable

When I get to it I will send you back a smile. I had the gun shipped and the shipper left the sight on the gun. It bent the micrometer shaft and the screw. I am more concerned with the outcome of that project. Since the sights are so important I am weary about the outcome of this project.

Woody

Remember that the realtionship between the rear sight and front sight changes as the eyepiece is raised and lowered on the staff. It seems that most properly mounted sight staffs appear to lean slightly forward when the barrel is perfectly level.

I hope that makes sense.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Woody Canton

Don't go weldin on nothin!The leaf spring that apllies tension to the sight staff has an elongated hole.Loosen the screw,adjust the staff then retighten screw.Theres a reason MVA's are the best sight in the country,and it ain't cause they need welded or shimed

Thanks for the pointer with the Tang Sight for my SHiloh. After I took it apart and straightened it out I can live with it. I found out we never should ship a rifle with the tang sight mounted. I worked over the gun with sweating wood dings out and fixing up the tang sight. And I am proud of my Shiloh now. I am ready to start loading 535 grain postel lead 45/70. Any pointers on charges would be appreciated. Another friend suggests 62 grains ffp should do the trick. Any pointers?

Woody Canton

SAS#88983

Thanks for the pointer with the Tang Sight for my SHiloh. After I took it apart and straightened it out I can live with it. I found out we never should ship a rifle with the tang sight mounted. I worked over the gun with sweating wood dings out and fixing up the tang sight. And I am proud of my Shiloh now. I am ready to start loading 535 grain postel lead 45/70. Any pointers on charges would be appreciated. Another friend suggests 62 grains ffp should do the trick. Any pointers?

Woody Canton

SAS#88983

It's not so much a question of charge weight as it is how deep you want to seat your bullet and how much powder compression you want. I always used the 500 grain round nose service bullet, and since I compressed the powder with the bullet while seating it, would go for about 1/10 to 1/8 inch compession. I cast soft bullets and trying for more compression would cause the seating die to deform the bullet nose. Many people use compression dies and compress the powder even further. Using Goex cartridge, my charges would weigh about what your friend suggests. Your powder charge will therefore be determined by bullet depth and compression and will weigh whatever it needs to weigh to meet those goals.

Guest Woody Canton

It's not so much a question of charge weight as it is how deep you want to seat your bullet and how much powder compression you want. I always used the 500 grain round nose service bullet, and since I compressed the powder with the bullet while seating it, would go for about 1/10 to 1/8 inch compession. I cast soft bullets and trying for more compression would cause the seating die to deform the bullet nose. Many people use compression dies and compress the powder even further. Using Goex cartridge, my charges would weigh about what your friend suggests. Your powder charge will therefore be determined by bullet depth and compression and will weigh whatever it needs to weigh to meet those goals.

OK this brings up a good point. The over-all-length suggested on the Die Instructions offer a 2.55 something OAL. With the last ring on the 550 HOCH lead it makes for a much longer bullet. I used the caliper and it was long. With ffp and compressing with the RNFP 550 Hoch .459 it all fits together in a nice round. I know the bullet is into the rifling and the chamber is OK, but with a buildup of residue sometimes the bullet would be forced into the chamber to allow for closing the breech. I tried to load one and backed off becuse I was concerned about forcing it into the chamber. I have a model and it fits perfect as well as a live round when the barrel is wiped. My concern is the pressure and the weight, volume related to the 550 gr. bullet. Measure and no gaps with compression it looks like I am almost 1/4 inch long in OAL. I shot some GOEX factory loads with 405 the traditionals. They are a little short of LAO. So when I load the 500 plus gr bullets and take into account the OAL and 62gr ffp with compressed powder, so there is no gaps between powder, patch and bullet is this a safe load? I have not fired them because I have nothing in black and white that says they are safe. My friend is knowlegable. I trust him. We will shoot the loads together. He has been shooting Black Powder for 40 years. I have made mistakes with 38 Special and pulled them apart if not sure until I was convinced I had it all in the middle of the road charge. After shooting them I found out I had 5 grpowder charge and I was trying for 3. Rugers are forgiving. Now with Black Powder it is volume and most references are up to 405 gr bullets. I sent for an SPG Loading Book and I will have some time before I shoot again. This is new to me and I like to be confident when pulling the trigger. So if what happens is most 500 gr plus bullets are over OAL, then I have no concers about powder volume at 62 gr. My gun is a 2004 Shiloh and in good shape. I am trying to learn as much as I can and appreciate your help.

Woody

Archived