SASS Wire Forum

410 Slugs

klw

Are these for hunting or a defense load for something like a Taurus Judge?

Considering the expense in equipment and time, for hunting I'd think just buying factory Brenneke slugs at about $6 a box would be more economical.

If they're a Judge load for short-range defensive work, wouldn't cast .41 caliber bullets work OK?

Not to hijack the thread, but that brings up a question: for short range defense, would a 410 loaded with a slug/bullet, or with buckshot/BBs, be better?

What I want is to make a conventional revolver cartridge out of the 410. Brass cases are available from at least two sources. Smith says that the bore diameter is 0.433??? So exactly what cast bullet will work isn't clear but that can be figured out. Somewhere out there there is loading data for a 410 slug. So this could be a new, conventional revolver cartridge.

klw 31116

You might try giving Ross Allison a call at Old West Bullet Molds.

He developed a load for a Judge using brass cases and (I think) 3 lead round balls.

The round balls were cheap and available and the load was devastating on an old tree stump we tried it on.

Not much good for long range but as a personal defense round it would probably settle the argument pretty quick.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

You might try giving Ross Allison a call at Old West Bullet Molds.

He developed a load for a Judge using brass cases and (I think) 3 lead round balls.

The round balls were cheap and available and the load was devastating on an old tree stump we tried it on.

Not much good for long range but as a personal defense round it would probably settle the argument pretty quick.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Thanks!

I recently got .410 inserts to make a damascus barreled SxS shootable. Got brass from MagTech, . . . loaded some with no. 7 shot and some with three .433 balls. Three of the balls on top of a card wad and 2f. Good short range load. Much like the "Guard Loads" that existed way back when for the .45-70 trapdoors. :)

Archived