SASS Wire Forum

Advice on a SxS

Blue Steel Duke

I've decided that with this years tax refund I'm moving up from our Stoeger to an external hammer SxS. For once I can say that money isn't a big issue, so I'd like a good quality shotgun I can pass on to the next generation. I'm leaning towards the Cimarron Colt copy in 12 gauge, if anyone can beat this one let me know.

Thanks.......BSD

I "bit the bullet" and decided to get the original rather than the copy. Buy this one and send it to Lonnie Meyer at Run N Iron for Nitro proofing, magnafluxing and action work... about $500- but get a quote from him. I had him cut the barrels on one of mine. On the other I left them 30". Both are fast and reliable: you have to get action work on anything for our game or they will just hold you back. Plus, it's dang hard to think that they'll ever be worth much less than $1000 no matter how much you shoot it. Ask yourself, "which would the next generation rather have?" :DB)

1878 COLT

Here's mine with NET COSTS at $1200.

1878 COLT FULLY RESTORED

If money is no object ...

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/hammer-coach-ss-case-hardened/ for a short barrel one or http://cz-usa.com/products/view/hammer-classic/ if you like the longer tubes.

I bought one of the CZ Hammer Classics with the 30inch barrels. It is a beautiful shotgun. I have also used it for quail and dove in season. I had to special order the gun and it took 7 months to get. The gun is tight and needs a good gunsmith to make it into a competition gun. I payed $960.00 for it and I am thinking about ponying up for the CZ coach gun. Good luck, Castalia

If money were no object & I wanted a shotgun that could be passed down through the ages & was a shooter; I'd be having one of these:

FAMARS Castore self-cocking hammer gun - The Castore is an exclusive side by side hammer gun which combines 19th century traditional lines with 21st century technical advances. The external hammers are a work of art in themselves. The gun is automatically cocked on opening but the hammers may also be cocked manually. To complete the style of bygone days, the chopper lump barrels follow tradition by being ‘browned' instead of the modern blacking. The Castore is a gun for the enthusiast, traditionalist and collector. It can be built also without automatic cocking and ejectors. I would be in their shop, the gun would be custom fitted to me.

If money were no object & I wanted a shotgun that could be passed down through the ages & was a shooter; I'd be having one of these:

FAMARS Castore self-cocking hammer gun - The Castore is an exclusive side by side hammer gun which combines 19th century traditional lines with 21st century technical advances. The external hammers are a work of art in themselves. The gun is automatically cocked on opening but the hammers may also be cocked manually. To complete the style of bygone days, the chopper lump barrels follow tradition by being ‘browned' instead of the modern blacking. The Castore is a gun for the enthusiast, traditionalist and collector. It can be built also without automatic cocking and ejectors. I would be in their shop, the gun would be custom fitted to me.

All FAMARS S/G's are works of art! The self-cocking hammers wouldn't be legal for Classic Cowboy.

I bought one of the CZ Hammer Classics with the 30inch barrels. It is a beautiful shotgun. I have also used it for quail and dove in season. I had to special order the gun and it took 7 months to get. The gun is tight and needs a good gunsmith to make it into a competition gun. I payed $960.00 for it and I am thinking about ponying up for the CZ coach gun. Good luck, Castalia

+1.. I have the Durango and it needed so much work that it had to go back twice. You could shuck corn faster, it won't open far enough, and only Arnold or the Rock can open it without using a knee. Now that it's working it's a beautiful gun. The hammers aren't as tall as the Colt or Colt clone (TNN).

Save yourself some grief and just call Nate Kiowa Jones. Get his case hardened/ worked, SMOKIN' TTN. That might have saved me 2 years and a lot of money. It's still a clone, but he does such a nice job that without reading glasses you can't tell it from the Colt.

This http://www.pioneer-pac.com/product.html is the pioneer that Pony mentioned. Pioneer had some torn down,on display and some to shoot at the Mayhem last May. I was impressed looking at the one they had disassembled to look over. The parts were clean on any machining or part casting lines,the best looking internals of most modern guns I have seen in a long time. I spoke to their representative after letting me shoot one,I shoot hammered doubles. He asked what I thought,the first thing I told him was the hammers could stand to be a bit closer together and slightly taller ears. He said they had planed on doing just that,these shotguns that they had brought with them were early production models and future models would be changed to have the things I had mentioned. The chambers were very nicely honed and dumped the empty hulls by just opening the gun with a slight muzzle up position,out they slid. I was very impressed with it ,I only wished I could afford one because that is gun I want. We hope to have them back at this years Mayhem. Adios Sgt. Jake

I've decided that with this years tax refund I'm moving up from our Stoeger to an external hammer SxS. For once I can say that money isn't a big issue, so I'd like a good quality shotgun I can pass on to the next generation. I'm leaning towards the Cimarron Colt copy in 12 gauge, if anyone can beat this one let me know.

Thanks.......BSD

I like my TTN's

Randy

OK, I guess the "money is no object" was bit of an over statement, unless someone can put me up for a week or two on their couch after I pay $3000 for a SxS :lol: How about the Cimarron, any concerns or other brands in that price range?

BSD

Save yourself some grief and just call Nate Kiowa Jones. Get his case hardened/ worked, SMOKIN' TTN. That might have saved me 2 years and a lot of money. It's still a clone, but he does such a nice job that without reading glasses you can't tell it from the Colt.

+1 on that, it is both slick and a beautiful gun

Duke While I would love to have a Pioneer shotgun,I shoot a TTN,now known as the Cimarron 1878. I have four years of use in the shotgun and I love it. Nice big bead up front,chambers drooped hulls ok,mainsprings seemed light enough to me. While I'm talking about mainsprings this past May my left side mainspring was with factory AA Featherlights giving me FTF's,replaced both mainsprings. Problem fixed,the only parts thus far Ive put into the gun in four years of heavy use. Even used it last year for some pheasant hunting with BP,it does mighty fine for birds. I love that shotgun,good luck in your decision. Adios Sgt. Jake

Here's another vote for one of Nate's "race-ready" TTN's. I got mine last year, and love it. He lightens the springs, hones the cylinders, extends the forcing cones, puts on an oversized bead, and will reverse the triggers if you want him to. I had him do that, and it's super fast. Slip the lever and the barrels drop open and stay open. He's usually backlogged several months, so if you want one for the upcoming CAS season you'd best call him soon. I didn't get the color case version, just the blued, and it was a hair shy of $700 all set up and ready to boogie, delivered to my door. I don't know what it'll be this year. Depends on how much the price of the guns has gone up...

Steve's Guns

I was attending the first End Of Trail at Founders Ranch . . I did not yet have a Shotgun.

In a vendors tent there was a rack with a whole line of shotguns . . . I went along the rack "playing" with this and that brand of current manufacture SxS shotguns.

At the end of the rack there was a Husqvarna SxS. The difference between that old gun and the new manufactured ones was amazing. The Husqavarna on the rack was at a high price having been re casehardened and slicked up. I went on line and got one from Sarco for about $500. And was HAPPY. Since then I've bought several more SxSs and they are all old ones built when they were made with real quality. Really nice old quality SxSs are available and will be well worth handing down thru generations. Just my $ .03 if of any value to ya . . . . :)

I gave $500 few years ago here on the Wire to a pard for my CCH TTN. Never a single problem, don't know if he had any slickin' done to it afore I got it, but knowing of him he may just have.

Man I love that gun so much I bought a blue one at Academy (this one says Cimarron on the side of it, same gun tho just w/o the CCH)for $399. It remains NIB awaiting it's turn. Hopefully it will stay there as the CCH shows no sign of ever going south (knock wood).

I need 2 more. The 26" version and the "original finish" one.

Archived