SASS Wire Forum

Tang Sight

Sergeant Smokepole #29248L

Just picked up a Lyman tang sight for my Marlin 1894. I'll be mounting it sometime over the next week or so.

It's a bear getting old. I can't see regular rear sights clearly anymore. If I focus on the front sight as I'm supposed to, the rear sight all but disappears.....

Aperture sights are the way to go if I want to keep shooting CAS safely.....

I hear that.

All my rifles have tang sights. After you get use to it you won't go back. After awhile you won't even see the tang sight and you will shoot it more like a shotgun.

I leave the inserts out for the main match then put them in for long range side matches.

WJ

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/wyandotjim/Rugers/CIMG3524-1.jpg

I have been shooting aperture sights since I was a kid and can shoot them as well or better than most scope sighted rifles. I just wish that I could still use the semi buckhorn sights up close but the eyes won't cooperate.... I guess they'll come off once I mount the tang sight. Next up will probably be a tang sight for my Marlin 336, as the scope on there, while aiding in shooting, just don't look right to me....

I've got a tang sight on my very old Marlin 39A (1941 B prefix model) and have never used it. How are they adjusted for elevation and windage changes? I've not looked at it closely. The rear sight that I use has both a buckhorn and flat blade; both will fold flat against the receiver so as not to block the tang.

The one I have is adjustable for elevation omly. Windage is adjustable by drifting the front sight.

The one I have is adjustable for elevation omly. Windage is adjustable by drifting the front sight.

Well the first thing you do is make sure the sight is perpendicular to the tang/barrel. Use paper or cardboard to shim it.

Then you can adjust the FRONT sight as required.

For what It's worth I did not drill the extra hole in most of mine. Yea some are 45-70 They stay put with one screw. The way the Marlin tang is rounded lets you get by with one screw.

I only have 8 rifles set up this way and they all seem to work OK.

WJ

I was born with poor eyes and even though they are much better than then, there is not much to write home about. I put the Lyman tang mounts on three of my rifles and they are sort of OK, but frail. My main shooter now wears a Williams ghost ring peep in the rear dove tail. The eye relief is just about right for presbyopic old soot eaters like us. Add a Manatee BAFS (Big Arsed Front Sight) for what could be a nice combo.

prs

Archived