SASS Wire Forum

Shot the "Holy Black" for the first time today!

Slick McClade

Yep you read the topic title correct!!!! :P

I broke down and shot the "Holy Black" today at our monthly match for the first time ever!!! I have to admit it was fun while shooting, now the cleaning of the guns well thats another story. :lol: Although I have to do a little bragging , for my first time I thought I done very well, out of 5 stages my longest raw time was I think 25sec or so, with my fastest being 18sec. Maybe the brisk cool Louisiana breeze had something to do with me seeing "most" of my targets, for the smoke did not hang around to much and that was a good thing.

During the match, an employee from the gun shop which is located at the range sent word to me that a man wanted to sell some guns to us. So between stages I ran up to the gunshop to help this customer with his guns. As I was talking to him I kept smelling something really bad, in my mind I'm thinking "Dang! this guy is standing here talking to me and is relieving him self of some real unpleasent gas". So after making the purchase of the guns and the customer leaving , I turned to the employee and said " Man did you smell that guy, I guess he was standing there relieving him self!" the employee turns and said " Dude!!,that smell is YOU :blush: Oh the smell of Black Powder!! So is fabreeze now required in the guncart as well! :unsure:

Just thought I would share my first BP story with you, looking forward to shooting some more real soon!! ;)

Until next time,

Your Pal,

Slick

It's been my experience that the subs stink but real BP has a fine bouquet. ;)

Au contrair, UT, it's smokeless powder that stinks. Any BP or Substitute is to be savored!!

Au contrair, UT, it's smokeless powder that stinks. Any BP or Substitute is to be savored!!

I dunno... I find Triple 7 to be vaguely reminiscent of burnt hair.

Congratulations Stinky! You are now a member of an elite group. Well a group.

I always enjoy shooting it myself.

How warm was it up there?

yer pal,

Possum

:lol: Thanks, I think!!,

Started off around 19 degrees this morning then warmed up to around 48 degrees by mid day. Still had a great match with a good turnout.

Your Pal,

SS :blink:

Way to go Slick!!!!

I am proud of you.

By the way... Did you shoot REAL BP or a sub ( 777 or Pyrodex) ??

In my opinion the SUBS REALLY SMELL BAD. Nothing smells quite as good as REAL BP.!!

Judge

Hey Pard: Looks like I picked a bad weekend to miss. Glad to see you making smoke. I miss that smell you're freting about. Fact is if I don't get to smell some soon I may have to retake orientation prior toshooting a match. Been a month. I plan to see u in a couple of weeks. you stay warm.

Oh, I cast some 1 oz slugs for my sxs. I don't think I'll have any more trouble with knockdowns. lol

I shoot black on a semi regular basis, if there's a stiff breeze it's kind of disappointing. I shoot 777 but it's still cool.

I've got a pair of 51 nickle navies that Imma getting ready to try out.

See ya at WR.

Cheyenne

I broke down and shot the "Holy Black" today at our monthly match for the first time ever!!! I have to admit it was fun while shooting, now the cleaning of the guns well thats another story. :lol: Although I have to do a little bragging , for my first time I thought I done very well, out of 5 stages my longest raw time was I think 25sec or so, with my fastest being 18sec. Maybe the brisk cool Louisiana breeze had something to do with me seeing "most" of my targets, for the smoke did not hang around to much and that was a good thing.

During the match, an employee from the gun shop which is located at the range sent word to me that a man wanted to sell some guns to us. So between stages I ran up to the gunshop to help this customer with his guns. As I was talking to him I kept smelling something really bad, in my mind I'm thinking "Dang! this guy is standing here talking to me and is relieving him self of some real unpleasent gas". So after making the purchase of the guns and the customer leaving , I turned to the employee and said " Man did you smell that guy, I guess he was standing there relieving him self!" the employee turns and said " Dude!!,that smell is YOU :blush: Oh the smell of Black Powder!! So is fabreeze now required in the guncart as well! :unsure:

Just thought I would share my first BP story with you, looking forward to shooting some more real soon!! ;)

Until next time,

Your Pal,

Slick

Cap & Ball or Cartridge??

Pulp, Gotta obtain some more dough before I get some walkers :ph34r:

Duncan, Not sure what I shot, Ruckus Ralf loaded them up for me :wacko:

Oliver, Yep you sure did, you never know what might happen at Jackson Hole!! ;)

CC, See ya soon pard, mighht be shooting "Black" :huh:

Capt., I shot Cartridge :mellow:

Hope to see all of you down the road,

Your Pal,

Slick

P.S.

Dont forget the fabreeze!!!!!

It is the most fun in SASS and all those poor souls who keep trying to come up with some other fancy way to dress categories, while seeking deep fulfillment, just need to slow down and buy a pair of '51 Navies. Just keep popping off those bp cartridges and you will soon enough want to take another step back in time to the days of the Confederate bushwhackers, yankee redlegs and most feared of all, the Comancheros. YEEEHAAA and make smoke

I do have to say.. Shooting BP didnt slow Slick down too much at all.. The shotgun was prolly his worst nightmare.. lol.. Hadda few make up shot with the shotgun...

He was shooting true black.. 3F goex... I do have to agree with him on one thing.. He did kinda have a *smell* to him.. I am not sure but I think thats why his wife left before him and wouldn't let him ride with her.. Not sure, just saying... LOL

As always it was a great day shooting a Jackson Hole..

I love BP....the real schmeal deal!! I also find that cleaning up BP is easier than smokeless... ya just need to do it more often lol!

GG ~ U*S*A flag

Sorry but just thought of something pertinent, pull the one screw and remove the ejector rod for disassembly as part of the cleaning. I have found this to be a trouble spot for normal after match cleaning where I do not break the gun totally down.

Bob, Probley will see me shooting more BP, now about the slowing down part I have found a little trouble trying to do that. :lol: Thanks for the extra cleaning tip ;)

Ralf, You are probley correct about the wife leaving me!!! :blush: But a Big "Thank You" is needed for the ammo! ^_^

GG, I'll be gettin more practice with my cleaning real soooon!!! :ph34r:

Thanks Pards

Your Pal,

Slick

Hey , Slick , I'm wondering what that customer was thinking when he left the gun shop. :lol:

I shoot the Black myself most of the time. Worst thing I think a feller can do is making a mistake when using a blow tube on a single-shot rifle , and take a deep breath too close to the tube. That will wake up your taste buds. :lol:

Keep 'em smokin' , Rex :D

Say AMEN Soot Brothers and Sisters, we have another convert!

All the way home from every match, every few miles, Wonnerful Hubby says "This truck STINKS!"

I don't know what he's talking about. ;)

I'm sure it's the blowback on the cases from his loads

OH GREAT! Another FAST shooter shootin FC! :angry: Guess I move down the list another spot! <_< But seriously Slick, WELCOME TO THE DARKSIDE! :) I shot nothin but black (FC) most all of last season and I'm luvin it. Fannie Kicker has been bouncing back and forth between LBW and LFC, can't make her mind up. You know how women can be. :P OUCH! Didn't realize Fannie was lookin over my shoulder! Hope to see you and yours soon!

Titus

Amen Brother....

You have just enered into a larger world. A world where speed matters not. A world where insane GRINS! are normal. A world where all Darksiders are your Brothers. Give yourself to The Darkside young Apprentice and soon, you will become a true believer in the one true powder, The Holy Black. You will learn about The darkside until you become a Darksider. Then, after learning all there is to know, begin teaching other young Apprentices and when this occurs, you will be elevated to that Grand Title of Dark Lord of The Soot, a Soot Lord and with that Title earned, be granted the appertuances thereof that only a Dark Lord is entitled...

Become one with The Soot........

OK now I know that I am in the Twilight Zone!!!!! Slick shoot Black and Deuce shooting B-Western...... WHAT?!?!?!?!?

Welcome to the Dark SIde Slick! :)

Painted Filly

MM, You never know what I might shoot!! :unsure:

Rex, Ya, I thought the same thing, he might not ever come back. :blush:

Doc, Dont know how long I'll shoot it, See ya in sparta.

Lou, I'll take my fabreeze and a change of clothes to Keep the bride happy. :lol:

Titus, Looking forward to seeing you both soon! :)

Sergeant, Speed will always be a part of me, that's just me :ph34r:

Painted Filly, 2011 I'm sure will be full of suprises. :rolleyes:

My goal in B-western was to win State,Regional,National and World all in the same year and then I would move on to another cat. Well it happened this past year I won them all so I'm trying to keep my word and move on, but it sure is hard :(

B) Welcome to the "Dark Side".

I guess that little voice on your shoulder finely got your attention. Soon you'll become addicted the lovely, "Bouquet of Black Powder Smoke in the Morning". Any breeze is Highly Over Rated.

Like someone else said on this thread, "Use the Force".

Welcome aboard.(may the force be with you)

Cap

p.s. SUB's really do STINK more.

Until next time,

Your Pal,

Slick

Welcome to "Da Darkside !!"

Da clean-up, da smell...all da......

It's all part of "Da Darkside !!"

Apache Hawk

SASS # 60642

A "Darksider"

One of da "Smelly Fellers".

A "Smoke Maker"

"Lord of da Soot"

Bondified "Dirty Guy" !

"My goal in B-western was to win State,Regional,National and World all in the same year and then I would move on to another cat. Well it happened this past year I won them all so I'm trying to keep my word and move on, but it sure is hard :("

Slick, that was four fine wins, but don't forget U. S. Open, you bagged that one also. (That one got away from me.)

Welcome to the dark side. Windy days do make it much more enjoyable. For BP frustration, first rotation at EOT can usually give you a taste, especially on front end.

When you headed out to WR? Family going with you?

See ya there. bb

Say AMEN Soot Brothers and Sisters, we have another convert!

All the way home from every match, every few miles, Wonnerful Hubby says "This truck STINKS!"

I don't know what he's talking about. ;)

Lou, my son, Nasty Nate, said; "Black powder stinks real good!" He was just a little whip snapper back then and he meant is sincerely as a compliment.

PigeonRoost Slim

I especially like shooting BP on a warm, humid morning with no breeze in an enclosed stage, why I've been known to pull both triggers on my 10 gauge at once just to add a bit more smoke. Of course the person right after me tends to say unkind things......

I switched to BP (and 777) a couple of years ago. I badly sprained my strong hand & wrist which forced me to shoot smokeless a couple of times in 2010 and it wasn't nearly as much fun. I'm looking forward to all BP in 2011

Archived