SASS Wire Forum

Slightly OT New Marlin

Marlin's 2011 catalog link (see page 13) has a cute little levergun for the ATV crowd, or anybody else who likes a short little rifle to hunt with. It's a pistol grip stock, big loop lever, and 16.5" barrel. Only 7 rounds capacity though, but since it is stainless (laminate stock), and has one of them fool rails on top for easy optics, the ATV-based hunters will probably like em a bunch. Now, could it be that the big cheese at Ilion, who shot with us at the NYS shoot in '09, and played with my 16" 1894 and liked it a lot had anything to do with it? Nah, couldn't be.....

I don't think I've seen AJ's shorty.

but about 12 or so years back, Marlin produced some Limited rifles with 16.5 inch barrels.

I bought one in .44 Mag and .45 Colt.

I still got the .45 Colt which has been turned into a Widdermajik and holds 11 of AJ's Cowboy .45 Specials. Great little gun.

I'm glad to see Marlin becoming intuitive again.

Whats Next? Only da shadow knows!

..........Widder

I don't think I've seen AJ's shorty.

but about 12 or so years back, Marlin produced some Limited rifles with 16.5 inch barrels.

I bought one in .44 Mag and .45 Colt.

I still got the .45 Colt which has been turned into a Widdermajik and holds 11 of AJ's Cowboy .45 Specials. Great little gun.

I'm glad to see Marlin becoming intuitive again.

Whats Next? Only da shadow knows!

..........Widder

Widder, mine's a CB-L chopped from 24 to 16.25". I'm told the one you have is from a limited edition done for Davidson's or another distributor. I understand the .45 versions were the scarcest, while more were done in .44 This new critter will be a regular catalog item. The new one ain't cowboy, but the stubby rifles are pretty cool.

Widder, mine's a CB-L chopped from 24 to 16.25". I'm told the one you have is from a limited edition done for Davidson's or another distributor. I understand the .45 versions were the scarcest, while more were done in .44 This new critter will be a regular catalog item. The new one ain't cowboy, but the stubby rifles are pretty cool.

AJ, me thinks your correct. I even have a piece of paper with mine that says only 1051 of these .45's were made. I need to pull it out and actually check the date.

Mine is an 1894S. The wood is a nice 'reddish' walnut with checkering.

The forend is like the rifle forend in that it has an end cap and not a barrel band. Very sleek looking.

Also, the barrel is round with a full lenth mag tube.

I would have brought it to GOA but I was afraid it would 'get lost'. hehehehe

Take care and keep in touch.

..........Widder

Lose that funky rail and front sight, add a standard lever and sights, PRESTO!! instant short cowboy rifle!! Could be all kinds of fun.

Right now though, can't find a Marlin anything anywhere right now.

Coffinmaker

Picked up an 1895 STBL 45/70 last July one of the last out of New Haven. Spent a month getting the stock fixed. Still haven't been able to get back to the range with it. Have not heard much good about the rifles coming out of Ilion, very poor workmanship so far. Very sloppy.

Well, I'm gonna do it. I'm going to see if I can contact "Marlin" and special order one of those new "Short" rifles without the funky rail but with "standard" front and rear sights.

If I can get one that way, I'll crawl into Widder's hip pocket for "majic!!" Then load it up with .45 Squirts!! :wacko:

Coffinmaker

Well, I'm gonna do it. I'm going to see if I can contact "Marlin" and special order one of those new "Short" rifles without the funky rail but with "standard" front and rear sights.

If I can get one that way, I'll crawl into Widder's hip pocket for "majic!!" Then load it up with .45 Squirts!! :wacko:

Coffinmaker

CC: if you ONLY use the C45S in it, setting the Timing up correctly is not as difficult as most would think. On the other hand, setting the timing up for a vast array of cartridge lengths can be tricky and ifn you ever try that, be sure to give me a shout and I'll be glad to help any way I can.

I've talked with my favorite camera man at church yesterday and he and I are going to try and produce a GOOD video for youtube this week. It will be one of the best vids showing what the WiddermAJik is capable of doing using ammo length variances that most folks will think impossible. You really ought to see this Marlin work with EVERYTHING from empty C45S brass all the way up to .45 Colt loaded with 300 Grain Speer GDHP and Solids. Even an empty .45 Colt brass mixed in with it all. All in the same mag tube.

When its Youtube ready, I'll post the info on the Wire.

..........Widder

Widder Ive seen AJ do it out of his rifle,Simply Amazing,I never tire of seeing it. Showed AJ's video to a buddy who is a marlin shooter but not a CAS shooter,he said play that again would ya. He watched it a couple of more times and said Marlins just don't do that,to which I replied They Do Now! Adios Sgt. Jake

Did anyone else notice that both the 44 and the 357 come with 1:38 rifling?

Negtive, Ghostrider:

As it has ALWAYS BEEN, .44 and .45 are 1:38, .38/357 is 1:16. The only change, which came after I contacted the head of the facility at Ilion and told him the catalog was wrong, is they now correctly identify the .45 Colt as 1:38. We THOUGHT we had 1:20 in the .45 until we actually checked it out, and found Marlin had been fibbing all these years.

Coffinmaker

Archived