SASS Wire Forum

Knock down rack

Guest diablo slim shootist

We are going to make a pistol KD rack for our 3 day match

in late May -If any one could be of some help with plans,pics,or ideas

I would be forever in your debt :blush:

While knock down racks add some good variety, they are of limited use in our game.

Why?

By design, they have to be relatively small targets. Certainly much less than the recommended sizes.

They take more time and helpers to reset.

If you use a rope/chain reset, they are not as reliable.

They are heavy to set up and take down.

They can very difficult to maintain calibration. So the element of luck and timing is always there.

In many designs, it is possible to knock them all down with one shot.

So they will not normally be used on a regular basis. So for cost versus benefit, they are not as valuable as a good set of individual shotgun knockdowns. But for some added fun once in a while, go for it.

Cliff Hanger has some target designs, hopefully others can help out more specifically.

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/cliffhanger/SteelStable/CHtrgts.htm

While knock down racks add some good variety, they are of limited use in our game.

Why?

By design, they have to be relatively small targets. Certainly much less than the recommended sizes.

They take more time and helpers to reset.

If you use a rope/chain reset, they are not as reliable.

They are heavy to set up and take down.

They can very difficult to maintain calibration. So the element of luck and timing is always there.

In many designs, it is possible to knock them all down with one shot.

So they will not normally be used on a regular basis. So for cost versus benefit, they are not as valuable as a good set of individual shotgun knockdowns. But for some added fun once in a while, go for it.

Cliff Hanger has some target designs, hopefully others can help out more specifically.

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/cliffhanger/SteelStable/CHtrgts.htm

Thanks for the insite Marauder-knew most of that stuff-another thing is where

do the bullets come down after you shoot them?Over the berm or do they not go that far?

The base is the key. If your base is solid enough, rigid enough you can have great knockdown racks. We have several knockdown plate racks. (nearly all of our shotgun targets are in racks) They stay calibrated, too. We can (and do) shoot they for months on end with no maintenance, except the occasional greasing, and you can still take any of them down with a light loaded 38. They don't fall down in the wind, either.

True, they are heavy and plate size is limited, but they CAN be made to be reliable and consistant.

I don't have plans, though, as I didn't make them myself. I do have a couple of close-ups of one of our 2-plate racks (the 4-plate are made the same) We also have a couple of 10-plate racks that are incredibly reliable. I can send you the photos if you pm me your email. Or better yet, come on down to Bayou Blast and try 'em out, then you can get a real close look at 'em and talk to our target engineer.

Possum

Archived