SASS Wire Forum

Gun Control

Utah Bob #35998

<_< I do not wish to start any discussion here, large or small, but an interesting point I heard regarding Tucson et. al. is that in many cases regarding aberrant behavior the parents choose to ignore or dismiss the small or obvious signs and in the end others pay.

Thanks, UB, for posting.

The article, as a lawyer might object, assumes "facts not in evidence": namely that gun control laws have a negative effect on the violent crime rate. With that assumption, it is not a balanced article.

Semper.......paratus!

eGG

At least before these politically correct times, the majority ruled. It still does in Congress, even if a bill passes by a narrow margin. So why do these "pundits" have soooo much trouble understanding that in poll after poll, the majority of people do NOT want more gun control. Further, their time could be much better spent looking at ways to identify and treat people who are unbalanced before they commit such an act. The tool used to commit this act is truly irrelavant, he could have used the car he drove there to do just as much damage. I guess then MSNBC would have been discussing governors for all internal combustion engines. The most important thing I want to say is that I pray for a full recovery for those harmed, and for God's guiding hand to help all those who lost loved ones and have been affected by this act....

And from HuffPo: Stricter Gun Laws Not The Answer

I tell ya, I was sockdolagered when I read that. True, he couches it in the pragmatics of politics, but he admits that crime has gone down even as there are more guns and a move towards allowing exercise of civil rights.

The thoughts expressed by a Az. congressman®Trent Franks about limts on magazine capacity on a oddball show 'The Last Word' from last night, kinda hit a nerve with the host of show.

http://www.hapblog.com/2011/01/lawrence-odonnell-yells-at-arizona.html

The thoughts expressed by a Az. congressman®Trent Franks about limts on magazine capacity on a oddball show 'The Last Word' from last night, kinda hit a nerve with the host of show.

http://www.hapblog.com/2011/01/lawrence-odonnell-yells-at-arizona.html

North end of a south-bound horse.

So why do these "pundits" have soooo much trouble understanding that in poll after poll, the majority of people do NOT want more gun control.

What you HAVE to understand, is that these "pundits" are all smarter than the rest of us. They know better than we do what's best.:blink:

I noticed in the upper margin of the site that U.B. linked for us that that idiot Olberman was not being renewed. YIPPPPPPPEEEEEE!!!

When he was a talking head on ESPN I could tolerate and at some points agree with him.

When he moved to MSNBC he became intolerable and perhaps the biggest know-it-all I've encountered!

w

Anyone surprised at Dick Cheney's answer to possibly banning "HIGH capacity magazines? Wow that threw me for a loop.:angry:

Anyone surprised at Dick Cheney's answer to possibly banning "HIGH capacity magazines? Wow that threw me for a loop.:angry:

Yep. :blink:

At the end of the video that follows the one with Cheney, Chuck Shumer claims that support for stricter gun control has fallen in recent years because of the success of past gun control laws. :huh: Interesting logic.

Nope. Never did trust him.

I sure am glad that host didn't have a gun.By the way i can go about a mile from my house and buy anything i want.Ever see a semi auto turned into an auoto by putting your thumb through your belt loop?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apYCBKr4RT8

OMG!

Posting videos works! Wonder if that will be around long.

Guess they forgot to disable the "media" function. ;)

Can't get no better than that..no misses, no "P"s Thanks for sharing

MS

My pleasure, sir. We were trying out some improvised munitions - veggie cans filled with cement and such. Didn't work well. We loaded the cans open side to the powder hoping the 1/2 inch that wasn't filled would expand into the rifling. Well, the shock also pulverized the cement. Ours was the gun on the left end of the line - in one of the stills you can see the darker grey cloud in front of the smoke - that is the powdered projectile. Did have some half filled with lead, but those were very unstable. Last year we had some actual bolts that had been machined and had the proper soft metal sabot. Now THOSE really put metal on target.

Nice thing about the cannon - CA legal, no waiting period, and the powder and "bullets" can get delivered right to my door.

I sure am glad that host didn't have a gun.By the way i can go about a mile from my house and buy anything i want.Ever see a semi auto turned into an auoto by putting your thumb through your belt loop?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apYCBKr4RT8

It is real easy to do with an AR15. The M-1 carbine actually fires faster when you "bump fire" it using this technique (thumb in beltloop and trigger guard). It becomes an M2 carbine and will dump 20 rounds real quick GunClick Rick. I have never tried it with my Ruger 10/22 but I guess you could. I have also seen a small dowel rod used instead of the thumb. And all of it without a Class III license!!!

My pleasure, sir. We were trying out some improvised munitions - veggie cans filled with cement and such. Didn't work well. We loaded the cans open side to the powder hoping the 1/2 inch that wasn't filled would expand into the rifling. Well, the shock also pulverized the cement. Ours was the gun on the left end of the line - in one of the stills you can see the darker grey cloud in front of the smoke - that is the powdered projectile. Did have some half filled with lead, but those were very unstable. Last year we had some actual bolts that had been machined and had the proper soft metal sabot. Now THOSE really put metal on target.

Nice thing about the cannon - CA legal, no waiting period, and the powder and "bullets" can get delivered right to my door.

Here's my baby, shoots billyard balls.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/JakeHarlow/DSCF0251.jpg

Aint nothing downrange for 5 miles ^_^

Bump fire a 10-22, works the same as a M1-Garand Carbine. Fast.... ^_^

Here's my baby, shoots billyard balls.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/JakeHarlow/DSCF0251.jpg

Aint nothing downrange for 5 miles ^_^

Bump fire a 10-22, works the same as a M1-Garand Carbine. Fast.... ^_^

Well that is a pretty little thing! Make it yourself or buy it? If bought, from whom? Hmmm....billiard ball....that's about 2.25"...hmmmm....about a 3 pounder then? And a charge of about 3 oz. of Fg? Having a small one like that would be nice - pull the wheels off and put it in the bed under the cover. Don't need a winch to get it off and on the trailer.

Hijack alert!! :lol:

Not so. They are still talking about gun control - just a different kind. :rolleyes:

Speaking of GUN CONTROL.... this was forwarded to me, can't find a mention of Maslack on Snopes:

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack has read the Second Amendment tothe U.S. Constitution, as well as Vermont 's own Constitution very carefully, and his strict interpretation of these documents is popping some eyeballs in New England and elsewhere.

Maslack recently proposed a bill to register "non-gun-owners" and require them to pay a $500 fee to the state. Thus Vermont would become the first state to require a permit for the luxury of going about unarmed and assess a fee of $500 for the privilege of not owning a gun.

Maslack read the "militia" phrase of the Second Amendment as not only the right of the individual citizen to bear arms, but as a clear mandate to do so. He believes that universal gun ownership was advocated by the Framers of the Constitution as an antidote to a "monopoly of force" by the government as well as criminals.

Vermont 's constitution states explicitly that "the people have a right to bear arms for the defense of themselves and the State" and those persons who are "conscientiously scrupulous of bearing arms" shall be required to "pay such equivalent.."

Clearly, says Maslack, Vermonters have a constitutional obligation to arm themselves, so that they are capable of responding to "any situation that may arise."

Under the bill, adults who choose not to own a firearm would be required to register their name, address, Social Security Number, and driver's license number with the state. "There is a legitimate governmentinterest in knowing who is not prepared to defend the state should they be asked to do so," Maslack says.

Vermont already boasts a high rate of gun ownership along with the least restrictive laws of any state ... it's currently the only state that allows a citizen to carry a concealed firearm without a permit. This combination of plenty of guns and few laws regulating them has resulted in a crime rate that is the third lowest in the nation.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."

What's interesting to me about this even if it's not real is that the tide has finally begun to turn. Now we'll see if law abiding American citizens have what it takes to rout the louts by enacting a National Right to Carry and a state by state MUST ISSUE.

Well that is a pretty little thing! Make it yourself or buy it? If bought, from whom? Hmmm....billiard ball....that's about 2.25"...hmmmm....about a 3 pounder then? And a charge of about 3 oz. of Fg? Having a small one like that would be nice - pull the wheels off and put it in the bed under the cover. Don't need a winch to get it off and on the trailer.

Yer right on, and Goex FFG works great, breaks down in no time and off we go. Nope, didn't make it meself, a local craftsman did the artwerk.

No gun control on this one, everything ya need we kin get localy. Balls are donated by friends just to watch us.

Dunt worry bout gun control, not much if anything, nothing will happen.Be surprised of how many Dems are Pro-Gun.It's the name calling I dunt much care for. Hands offa my guns

No, no.

>>>>Nice thing about the cannon - CA legal, no waiting period, and the powder and "bullets" can get delivered right to my door.<<<<

See? I referenced CA gun laws! On topic all the way! ;)

Right, no hijack, only the facts spoken here on the gun laws.We have an open carry here in our town..be carefull tho...CCW preferred.

I read the section about the "Rural/Urban Split" with special interest. It seems that the talking heads on TV and the writers in major media sources are somewhat ego-centric on their views toward gun use and ownership. They seem to think that the large cities that they live in, either west coast or east coast, are the only 'real' places that exist and that anyone who doesn't live in cities like they do are not living in modern society and therefore not capable of making an informed,educated decision about gun control. They forget that we rural folk are the ones that OWN most of that vast geographical area between the highly populated cities on the coasts. They also seem to think that they have such an extensive and intrinsic knowledge of the subject that they alone can decide for the entire nation what is right and what is wrong. Such attitudes may meet the definition of arrogance but I believe that it's closer to ignorance because they are so close-minded that they can't even imagine acknowledging that there are subjects and issues that they know nothing about.

In a somewhat related example, while travelling last year I met a nice thirty-something couple from New York and we started a casual conversation. We were discussing the weather and I mentioned something about getting pretty cold a few days earlier while sorting calves. I then had to explain what that was, why we do it and the difference between heifers and steers. That led to them asking about why we castrate bull calves, and how. In a matter of minutes I was being scolded for not taking the calves to the veterinarian for professional medical care and then told how to properly care for animals. I was informed that my actions constituted animal cruelty and told that I was a criminal and should be put in jail. They were starting to get angry, so I grabbed my beer and went elsewhere before they bestowed me with any more of their east coast wisdom. I'm sure glad we were talking calves and not guns, I can only imagine their level of intolerance about my shooting habits.

This was way back in 2000. Maslack is no longer in the VT Legislature. The little I found about it it may not have even made it onto the floor. I found one reference from 2000, then it wasn't heard of until it started hitting websites and making the email rounds in late 2009, then died out until now after maybe Feb. of 2010. Looks like it is making the rounds again.

But think about this - by making a list of non-owners, you are also creating a list of owners (everyone not on the list).

Speaking of GUN CONTROL.... this was forwarded to me, can't find a mention of Maslack on Snopes:

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack has read the Second Amendment tothe U.S. Constitution, as well as Vermont 's own Constitution very carefully, and his strict interpretation of these documents is popping some eyeballs in New England and elsewhere.

Maslack recently proposed a bill to register "non-gun-owners" and require them to pay a $500 fee to the state. Thus Vermont would become the first state to require a permit for the luxury of going about unarmed and assess a fee of $500 for the privilege of not owning a gun.

Maslack read the "militia" phrase of the Second Amendment as not only the right of the individual citizen to bear arms, but as a clear mandate to do so. He believes that universal gun ownership was advocated by the Framers of the Constitution as an antidote to a "monopoly of force" by the government as well as criminals.

Vermont 's constitution states explicitly that "the people have a right to bear arms for the defense of themselves and the State" and those persons who are "conscientiously scrupulous of bearing arms" shall be required to "pay such equivalent.."

Clearly, says Maslack, Vermonters have a constitutional obligation to arm themselves, so that they are capable of responding to "any situation that may arise."

Under the bill, adults who choose not to own a firearm would be required to register their name, address, Social Security Number, and driver's license number with the state. "There is a legitimate governmentinterest in knowing who is not prepared to defend the state should they be asked to do so," Maslack says.

Vermont already boasts a high rate of gun ownership along with the least restrictive laws of any state ... it's currently the only state that allows a citizen to carry a concealed firearm without a permit. This combination of plenty of guns and few laws regulating them has resulted in a crime rate that is the third lowest in the nation.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."

What's interesting to me about this even if it's not real is that the tide has finally begun to turn. Now we'll see if law abiding American citizens have what it takes to rout the louts by enacting a National Right to Carry and a state by state MUST ISSUE.

But think about this - by making a list of non-owners, you are also creating a list of owners (everyone not on the list).

So, what's one more list of gun owners? Do you have any idea how many lists you're on, already? I get junk mail from gun vendors and associations I've never heard of. I don't know whether it would be naive or just plain stupid of me to imagine I'm not already on some government list, somewhere.

Archived