SASS Wire Forum

Help Me Narrow My Choices

Smithy

I have a dividend check soon to show that if I'm lucky, might be around a grand. I currently have four Ruger Bisley Vaquero's (yes a pair and a spare), a Ruger Old Army Shopkeeper's special (3 1/2" barrel and birdshead grip), a Rossi 1892 (it and pistols in 45 LC), a Stoeger SXS, and a IGA 1887 lever action shotgun. Both shotguns are in 12 ga. My thoughts have been running around the fact that I have back ups for shotgun and pistol just not rifle, so in that case spend my money on http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/products/cfLightning.tpl a Taylor's "Lightning" rifle in 45 LC (although I can't tell the difference between the model 7100 and model 7156 other than 50 bucks in cost?). I do think that I could go much faster with a pump than my current lever in which case the 92 would take the role of back up and the Lightning would be my primary weapon. My other thoughts have been to get an expensive (to me) pistol just to add to my collection like http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=90987 an Uberti 1875 No. 3 2nd Model Top Break Revolver, or to get http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=116305 an Uberti Russian Top Break Revolver U348579, 45 Colt, 6 ½". Another option would be to get a less expensive pistol saving room to send the 1887 to Lassiter for a drop two conversion. I would then get a http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=116284 an Uberti 1873 Cattleman El Patron Revolver U345076, .45 Colt, 4 ¾". And my last option (so I could shoot in my club's black powder rounds, which include cap n ball and cartridge firearms) would be a pair of http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Black-Powder/Pistols/1858-New-Army-Stainless-Steel-44-Caliber-Revolver-and-Starter-Kit%7C/pc/104792580/c/104701680/sc/104503680/e/4322/1858-New-Army-Stainless-Steel-44-Caliber-Revolver/e/4322/705025.uts?destination=/catalog/ensemble.jsp%3FparentCategoryId%3D104792580%26categoryId%3D104701680%26subCategoryId%3D104503680%26ensembleId%3D4322%26type%3Densemble&categoryIds=104792580|104701680|104503680 1858 New Army Stainless Steel .44 Caliber Revolver. I know I got rather long winded, but if you followed me, what do you think? And more importantly, what would you do, and why? Smithy.

Given the redundancy you have in pistol and scattergun, if I were you I'd pick up a 66 or a Marlin.

Given your inventory and list of wants, I'd go with the 1875 Scofield or Russian. You have plenty of revolvers and shotguns though. I'd opt for a nice 66, 73 or Marlin if it were me and avoid the Lightnin'. Wait for a good deal in the Classifieds.

Smithy

If you're set on gettin' a Lightening contact Deadeye Dallas and talk with him about it for a while.

He has been doing extensive work with Lightenings and sure does have the touch with 'em.

I've seen him shoot his and he is plenty fast with it.

Have fun spendin' your cash

Ride easy,

Waimea

:FlagAm:

You have quite the collection so I'm gonna agree with Anvil Al on the 1873. I bought a Codymatic this fall and I love it. 18" octagon barrel and it points like a dream. Call Cody and don't look back friend.

Best regards. Zeke

I have a dividend check soon to show that if I'm lucky, might be around a grand. I currently have four Ruger Bisley Vaquero's (yes a pair and a

<SNIP>

I know I got rather long winded, but if you followed me, what do you think? And more importantly, what would you do, and why? Smithy.

Well - one thing to think about is that if you like your '92 carbine - get a '92 rifle with a full NKJ action and sights package, maybe with a long heavy octagonal barrel - that will help your shooting speed - and it's just a cool thing to have! I've got one coming - counting the days - then I start looking for a second SxS shotgun.

Just my $0.02 worth ..

SC

I vote with the crowd that says get a 73 or 66 or Marlin rifle. A grand will get you a new untuned 66/73 and if you are patient, a used tuned 66/73.

At this point in your journey, I would think about upgrading your reloading press to better feed the firearms you already have. Perhaps you already have. But you didn't ask about that.

Or, double your money and fold it in half and stick it back in your pocket till a real swinging deal comes along. A person needs a cash reserve so when a firearm does go down, you can afford to send it off to be fixed.

A grand can also buy a fair amount of ammo components too, which allows you to shoot more and that is worth alot.

Blastmaster

Archived