SASS Wire Forum

The Impractical Joker

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Sometimes, random thought ideas come to me. Usually, this is a dangerous phenomenon. Especially when I decide to post the ideas here on the wire. So, here goes...

Now, there are a lot of guns that while while they are interesting, when you really stop and think about them, they are really not all that "practical" for the normal way of things in our sport.

Think about it...

Buntline Specials

Mare's Legs

Sheriff's Models

Nagant Revolvers

"John Wayne" style levers on a 92.

Single Shot shotguns

Unusally long barrels on rifles/shotguns

Spencer rifles

Rifles with barrels so short they can't hold 10 rounds.

These, and many other things that might score really high on the coolness scale, or have lotsa "style points" usually don't work all that well in our game cuz they are just kinda slow, or otherwise have something about them that creates a comepetative disadvantage.

Now, imagine a side match, where you must use these rather impractical guns. Normal 10-10-4 course of fire.

Score it two ways.

1. Normal scoring for time and misses. Since everyone is using impractical guns, it's "fair" and you get a resonalbe side match.

2. (Optional) Have some sort of a poll to determine the shooter who had the MOST impractical bettery, and dub him, or her, "The Impractical Joker."

The sidematch should be played mostly for fun and laughs.

(Within saftey concerns, of course.)

Would anyone care to try it if such a side match existed?

H.K.,

We have a pard here in PA that will shoot guns like that in a main match. Check 'im out! B)

Artic

Hey, that is pretty cool.

I do have some, but not all, of the guns I listed, and I am sure that there are others that I did not think of, and I do shoot them from time to time at matches. They pretty much assure that any competitiveness that I might have had gets thrown out the window. I just thought it would be fun to see a buncha pards all bring out the weird stuff at the same time. :)

That being said, he was pretty fast with that Spencer. Had no idea they could be cycled so quickly!

I gotta get me one of those things someday...

Yes I think that it would be a hoot to bring out those type of shooters for a side match. Bring it on. Smithy.

wonderful that we can have stuff like this video as part of the wire now B)

I like your idea how about allowing any 19th century design guns say a broom handle Mauser with shoulder stock holster for the rifle 10 shots as it would have to be drawn from its holster and assembled before shooting and then returned to the harness work on the clock it should be slow enough if not you could require it be loaded from its stripper clip on the clock sounds like a fun side match though

He was very fast with the Spencer. I have never seen one shot at CAS and the video was a treat!

wonderful that we can have stuff like this video as part of the wire now B)

I like your idea how about allowing any 19th century design guns say a broom handle Mauser with shoulder stock holster for the rifle 10 shots as it would have to be drawn from its holster and assembled before shooting and then returned to the harness work on the clock it should be slow enough if not you could require it be loaded from its stripper clip on the clock sounds like a fun side match though

Now there is an intersting thought. Using it as a rifle, and having to draw and attach the stock would indeed be "impractical" so it would fit the bill for this side match idea.

Some might object, but not me. :) I am all for being "open" as to allowing anything of a pre-1900 design, or something modern that is "evocotive" of the era.

Russ,

I miss him too, he has not shot much in the last three years, sure hope to see him out this next season. Have seen him bring a whole cart full of guns and use them all somewhere in the match. He is really kind of quiet, there is just a whole lot of whootin' an hollerin' around wherever he is shooting.

Managed to dig up another old video of a pard who moved from PA to Arizona a few years ago. My "laugh bucket" is a whole lot less full since. Gunner is the second shooter in the video and shot an original 1887 Winny, BP, in regular matches. This was before anybody else even thought about them for SASS main match use. He cared much more about style points than winning so would do things that cost him many a "P". To him, the 87 in BP should only be shot by loading it full for the stage and lever bang away 'til it was empty. The way you see him shoot in the video is the way he would have shot the stage in a match. In fact, I remember editing out some of the time he took in transitions to make the video flow better. Sure do miss the fun element he always brought to a match. He was a pretty good MD as well, organizing many of the Blue Mountain Shootouts.

Wow, he handles that Spencer right nicely!

Ever' now and then, I shoot a 56-50 Spencer, a pair of 18" Uberti revolvers, and an 18" single shot shotgun, but I can't shoot my Spencer nuttin' like that! Now that I've seen the proper technique though...

Archived