SASS Wire Forum

Forum UPGRADES!

Guest Matt Kohutics

Guest Matt Kohutics

Hey Everybody,

We had to run a forum upgrade to get this thing up to date and hopefully further improve on the speed and usability from the optimizations of last week. Unfortunately with this upgrade we've lost the old skins (as in, they are not compatible with the newer version of the forum.) There's nothing I'm going to be able to do about that, but I'm sure the guys at sass will be updating it as soon as they get a chance. Please bear with the new look of the forum until they get a chance to modify the look and feel of the site and get it back to something closer to what you're used to.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, so let me know if there's any usability or speed issues and I'll look into those personally.

-Matt Kotich

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Matt.

I did notice that the "Mark All Read" link on the front page of the Wire is missing.

Also, it would be really cool if a mouseover on the subject text of a post would display the first couple lines of the post.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, so let me know if there's any usability or speed issues and I'll look into those personally.

-Matt Kotich

Looks like it went fairly smoothly even with all the changes. I expect the admins have a bucket load of preferences to set. I started sending messages to OneNote just for the search features so I don't need a restore of that stuff. Most everything else is OK except the formatting of the left most column. I will wait a while before I start tinkering with that.

Great to have the upgrade, performance is excellent (which is what everyone wanted).

Olen

Posted · Hidden by Wild Shot #51, January 20, 2011 - Incorrect info
Hidden by Wild Shot #51, January 20, 2011 - Incorrect info

Doc,

If you move your mouse to the space between the topic title and the name of the topic starter, some little icons pop up.

One of them looks like a little notepad. If ya click on it, it pops up a preview.

Wild Shot

Doc,

If you move your mouse to the space between the topic title and the name of the topic starter, some little icons pop up.

One of them looks like a little notepad. If ya click on it, it pops up a preview.

Wild Shot

Thanks Wildshot, but if I'm gonna click something, might as well click on the thread. Sorta hoping for a mouseover preview instead. Most of the other forums I participate in have the feature and it's really handy.

Where can I find my PMs. I am working on some stuff and need my PMs.

DO you still have the old program? Can I get to my PMs in a archive.

Guest Matt Kohutics

I'm looking into migrating the old PMs into the new system now. The database table for the messages has not been removed, so they're still there, they just need to be converted to the new style. I'm working on that now.

Hey Everybody,

We had to run a forum upgrade to get this thing up to date and hopefully further improve on the speed and usability from the optimizations of last week. Unfortunately with this upgrade we've lost the old skins (as in, they are not compatible with the newer version of the forum.) There's nothing I'm going to be able to do about that, but I'm sure the guys at sass will be updating it as soon as they get a chance. Please bear with the new look of the forum until they get a chance to modify the look and feel of the site and get it back to something closer to what you're used to.

-Matt Kotich

This going to take some getting use to

CCBA

The internet like TV used to be fun now it just full of garbage like twitter, facebook, digg,stumble upon,you forgot to put x-aviation and rickport down there. :unsure::P

Hey Everybody,

-Matt Kotich

Har! I don't even know what a skin is.

Calm down guys, give them a chance to get it right, at least we have some speed and it is NOT SLOW, like they say, a work in progress, not sure what everything is for and basically afraid to click on it at least for now

All for now JD Trampas

Hey Everybody,

-Matt Kotich

Matt, I can see my avatar on posts like this one but if I go to my setup page the avatar space has a blank silhouette and not my fetching old time photo of me as a brash and bold youth :unsure: you may want to look at that and making it easy for folks to change their avatars as well as some folks here are rather known for changing theirs at the drop of a hat

good luck with things and while blue is not my favorite shade thank you for not making it white text on a black 'paper' as that is just to tough on my eyes

cheers

Windy

Guest Matt Kohutics

Ok just an update -- The PM conversion script is still running right now. I'm pretty sure it's going to be running for some time to come, it's just passing the 30,000 message mark now. So you all should start seeing old messages popping up here n' there as they finish converting. I'll post another update once this finishes (or just to let you know the progress in a while if it's still going.)

I also know about the bbcode issue, the fact that the smileys are working kinda weird. I think that's just a switch that I need to flip, but I can't do anything until the conversion finishes. So that's next on my list.

Thanks for your patience, we should have this all sorted out soon enough. ;)

(just for clarification for anyone interested, it's doing about 100 messages every 5 seconds)

PS: I just had a couple really old messages from June and August of '08 pop up in my message box (at 6:30pm.) So, 30 thousand messages in, and we're in the middle of 2008, so the messages probably go back pretty far, and you should start seeing them appearing one by one any minute now.

Thanks Wildshot, but if I'm gonna click something, might as well click on the thread. Sorta hoping for a mouseover preview instead. Most of the other forums I participate in have the feature and it's really handy.

+1

Also lost my PM's-----------------------

Calm down guys, give them a chance to get it right, at least we have some speed and it is NOT SLOW, like they say, a work in progress, not sure what everything is for and basically afraid to click on it at least for now

All for now JD Trampas

I'm with you JD. I say give them a chance. I think there are some that would complain if they were hung with a new rope! (my dad always used to say that)

Ok just an update -- The PM conversion script is still running right now. I'm pretty sure it's going to be running for some time to come, it's just passing the 30,000 message mark now. So you all should start seeing old messages popping up here n' there as they finish converting. I'll post another update once this finishes (or just to let you know the progress in a while if it's still going.)

I also know about the bbcode issue, the fact that the smileys are working kinda weird. I think that's just a switch that I need to flip, but I can't do anything until the conversion finishes. So that's next on my list.

Thanks for your patience, we should have this all sorted out soon enough. ;)

(just for clarification for anyone interested, it's doing about 100 messages every 5 seconds)

PS: I just had a couple really old messages from June and August of '08 pop up in my message box (at 6:30pm.) So, 30 thousand messages in, and we're in the middle of 2008, so the messages probably go back pretty far, and you should start seeing them appearing one by one any minute now.

Mr. Matt, I just want to say, Thanks for all the Hard work!!

Matt,

Did you actually make a post that announced the upgrades as taking place midday today or did I miss something.

Not to put too fine a point on it but customer facing systems should really be managed a bit nicer.

We could have had warnings to save our PMs.

A quick study/sandbox type load might have shown that some edited posts don't appear as they should.

Hacker

Pictures? When are we gong to be able to do pictures? I have some really compromising ones of the WB and especially WildShot!!!!

Guest Matt Kohutics

Aaaaaalright everybody. The PM conversion has completed, and all of your messages should be appearing as they were. Looks like the basic functionality stuff is pretty much taken care of, and I'm sure the guys at Sass will have the look and feel of this thing back to how it was or better soon enough. I'll continue to monitor this thread for a while and check back in case any other weirdness pops up that needs to be quashed. 'til then, enjoy!

Hacker, I believe there was some mention of the upgrade, which was actually scheduled for Tuesday morning but got pushed back due to some fires that needed to be put out. Nobody should be missing anything in the upgrade, aside from having to get used to the new look and feel of the system..

Griff, pictures are up to those in charge, I'm just helping out by upgrading the board, but there does seem to be a *lot* of new functionality added to this release, so hopefully there will be a lot more to do once the mods get to play with all of the new on/off switches on the backend. ;)

Aaaaaalright everybody. The PM conversion has completed, and all of your messages should be appearing as they were. Looks like the basic functionality stuff is pretty much taken care of, and I'm sure the guys at Sass will have the look and feel of this thing back to how it was or better soon enough. I'll continue to monitor this thread for a while and check back in case any other weirdness pops up that needs to be quashed. 'til then, enjoy!

Howdy Matt,

I received a PM this evening (6:30)...attached to it under the same topic heading was a PM to someone else (VERY obvious) from Oct 2008.

Also noted that deleted PM's had reappeared & need to be re-deleted (they were marked with a X)

Just an FYI.

PWB

All private messages are gone, is there any way to get those back? Maybe restore to a sub-domain so we can retrieve the important stuff?

I desperatly need my PMs I had many addresses and things toorder on there.

Archived