SASS Wire Forum

Rank points got me again

Ace_of_Hearts

This past weekend I shot a 10 stage match....

Finished 5th even though I was 6 seconds faster than the forth place guy.....

Rank points were rank by category.

Ratzafratzis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rank points giveth and rank points taketh away.

2005 amidst the Georgia State Championships my Marlin jammed with eight shots left in my later to be discovered and not uncommon rusty magazine tube. Walking dejected to my truck to replace the rifle I past, twice World Champion, Macon Rounds. Noticing my dismay, I sadly explained my forty second problem to him. His reply was " Heck, this is rank scoring ... shot clean the rest of the way and you'll be fine". With his encouragement I did and I got a fifth place plaque for my efforts.

Ask the guy in sixth and I'm sure he's no fan of rank scoring then again in real life save a rifle jam he'd be face down in the dirt nine out of our ten stages.

Anyway, both my local clubs have gone to total time now, which means I have to clean my weapons more often, and rise the standards of my reloads. As long as the rules apply equally how can you possibly complain ?

Anyway, both my local clubs have gone to total time now, which means I have to clean my weapons more often, and rise the standards of my reloads. As long as the rules apply equally how can you possibly complain ?

Well for one, because it's just not right. Smithy.

I keep seeing these post on Rank points screwing people. I just dont get them. Is there a link or can someone PM me and explainthis because If i shoot a good match and someone who gets a SDQ or somthin beats me I will be livid.

I keep seeing these post on Rank points screwing people. I just dont get them. Is there a link or can someone PM me and explainthis because If i shoot a good match and someone who gets a SDQ or somthin beats me I will be livid.

Get ready then to get livid. It's going to happen. :)

Do a search on rank points. Subject comes up every couple weeks. :ph34r:

If you manage to get beat by someone after getting a SDQ there is no reason to be livid because you DID NOT shoot a "good match" :)

It's really pretty simple. If a match is rank point then you try and do the best you can on each stage. If it's total time then you try and do the best you can on each stage. I know before I pay my money which it's gonna' be and live with it. I always have the choice of not playing if I don't want to play with the stated rules for any particular match. When I look at the results I calculate all the what-ifs using the prescribed system, rank or total-time. If you stick with that philosophy it works pretty good. If you start computing what-ifs using the scoring system that is not in place for that match then that's where the trouble starts. If a cowboy takes 1st and I take 2nd and I have a lower total-time, I don't worry about it if when I payed my money I knew it was gonna' be rank. I look at how many rank points I needed to drop to beat him and then look at my scores compared to his on each stage. Usually comes down to something I could have done smoother or better on a stage that would have got me the score I needed to beat him. It's on me, not the score keepers! If you pay-to-play in a rank-point match then you need to play "rank-point". If you don't wanna' play that way then don't pay.

The real issue was that the poster indicated that rank points were used within a category not for the whole match. This can cause all kinds of issues and has in the past due to the small sample size. In this case a fast shooter can easily get a SDQ and place much higher than the bulk of the shooters in that category. I have seen cases where a couple of shooters did not even shoot the second day of a two day match and still finished in top 5 for their category.

Don't worry MMH, none of the clubs in Florida use rank points of any kind. If you go out of state, some do, some don't. All regionals and above are scored By RP. I'd work on shooting a good match instead of getting worked up about RP's. :)

If you manage to get beat by someone after getting a SDQ there is no reason to be livid because you DID NOT shoot a "good match" :ph34r:

Yep. Just shoot better yourself if ya don't want to get beat.

Have had them hurt me. And then have had them help me.

Saved me at EOT this year. :)

It's a long race with rank points.

You can stumble and still recover.

Not saying I like them. But that is what we got.

Make it work for you if ya can.

What it all boils down to:

Fifth place shooter did not get a new Chevy Pickup and sixth place shooter did not get a new Ford.

Life is good, go have fun!

Look at www.comanchevalley.org/scoring.htm . All will be made clear. Yours. Nota John

Rank Points

Your performance on each stage is ranked.....

The fastest shooter on stage 1 would receive 1 rank point. The next fastest shooter would receive 2 rank points. The next fastest would receive 3 rank points.....so on and so forth.

At the end of the match the Rank Points are added up and the shooter with the lowest Rank Point total wins.

So how can one shooter shoot SLOWER yet win.

Henry wins Stage 1 by 3 seconds and receive 1 rank point and Slow Joe gets 2 rank points

Slow Joe wins Stage 2 by 1/2 a second and receives 1 rank point and Henry gets 2 rank points

Slow Joe wins Stage 3 by 1/2 a second and receives 1 rank point and Henry gets 2 rank points

At this point Henry has a 2 second total time lead but is behind by 1 Rank Point.

There are some other issues with Rank Points.....

I prefer Total Time....if it's a rank point match then I accept it for what it is.......

Stan

If you manage to get beat by someone after getting a SDQ there is no reason to be livid because you DID NOT shoot a "good match" :)

That's not quite true, just do the math. Let's say the person who got the SDQ placed 2nd on the other 5 stages and there are 10 people total. This give the the shooter with the SDQ 20 rank points. Now comes the math:

Shooter 1 - 1 on all stages - 6 rank points

Shooter 2 - 2 on all stages - 12 rank points

Shooter 3 - 3 on all stages - 18 rank points

Shooter 4 - 4 on all stages - 24 rank points

Shooter 5 - 5 on all stages - 30 rank points

Shooter 6 - 6 on all stages - 36 rank points

Shooter 7 - 7 on all stages - 42 rank points

Shooter 8 - 8 on all stages - 48 rank points

Shooter 9 - 9 on all stages - 54 rank points

Shooter 10 with the SDQ - 20 rank points - finishes 4th place. In rank scoring, a train wreck on one stage can easily be overcome; particularily when less that 125 folks are shooting. The more shooters, the better rank scoring gets.

That's not quite true, just do the math. Let's say the person who got the SDQ placed 2nd on the other 5 stages and there are 10 people total. This give the the shooter with the SDQ 20 rank points. Now comes the math:

Shooter 1 - 1 on all stages - 6 rank points

Shooter 2 - 2 on all stages - 12 rank points

Shooter 3 - 3 on all stages - 18 rank points

Shooter 4 - 4 on all stages - 24 rank points

Shooter 5 - 5 on all stages - 30 rank points

Shooter 6 - 6 on all stages - 36 rank points

Shooter 7 - 7 on all stages - 42 rank points

Shooter 8 - 8 on all stages - 48 rank points

Shooter 9 - 9 on all stages - 54 rank points

Shooter 10 with the SDQ - 20 rank points - finishes 4th place. In rank scoring, a train wreck on one stage can easily be overcome; particularily when less that 125 folks are shooting. The more shooters, the better rank scoring gets.

Yep, That happened to me at Comin'AtCha this year. I had the 9 best stages I ever shot at a Big Match and 1 SDQ and finished 3rd in SD.

This past weekend I shot a 10 stage match....

Finished 5th even though I was 6 seconds faster than the forth place guy.....

Rank points were rank by category.

Ranking individual categories can skew the appearance of finishes in the overall...

Sometimes one can beat another shooter in your category if categories are ranked individually, but they might be ranked higher in the overall. We've tried it... and upon finding that the first time; we quit doin' it and stuck with overall finish determining your category finish.

Mountains outta molehills. If you want to be upset, either scoring method can make you so.

Mark your calenders. In two weeks this topic will arise again from the big steamy curly-q tipped pile of fresh animal excression. :FlagAm:

I don't know 'bout 'risin' agin, this one may not die...... for the next several weeks....

I was observing scores at several local clubs (we go by TT around here and provide rank for reference).

Amazing how many Rank ties I see at matches (30-50 shooters). It seems silly. Rank ties are broken with total time?

Go straight to TT and if there is a legitimate tie at .01 of a second granularity, I'd be impressed. Heck, I'll eat my hat.

-Nate

Archived