SASS Wire Forum

I need help.

Red River Ray SASS#33254

I'm another guy who normally wears progressive bifocals (no line), but finds that I CANNOT shoot FAST with them. So, the Long Hunter/Dirt Merchant/Evil Roy/Gold Canyon Kid style of focus is what I ask for in my shooting glasses. Master eye set for single vision at front sight distance, and weak eye set for distance. You learn how to see well with that in about 15 minutes. And I can drive safely with that, too, if I have too. Just can't read small print on the shooting program very well - so I just ignore that stuff.

Then, if you get the shooting glasses that have removable prescription lenses behind the safety shield, you can cheaply replace the shield with new shield when they scratch (they will), and you can use the prescription lenses until your eyes change (they will do that, too).

Good luck, GJ

Like Wyatt, I wear the B & L Multi-Focal contact on my shooting eye. It works very well for the main match.

I've recently started shooting some long range stuff that our club offers before the main match and sights have become more of an issue. The Buffalo rifle is not a problem because my tang ladder sight has an eyecup which really helps me focus. The 100 yard revolver and pistol caliber rifle are another matter. I purchased a Merit adjustible apeture sight that sticks on your glasses with a suction cup. It works OK but cost $40 and sometimes it falls off. I just recently purchased a card of black circles with different size holes. You peel off a circle and stick on you glasses and it's suppose to work like the $40 sight that I already own. The difference is that these stick on your glasses by static electricity, only cost a few bucks, and are reuseable. I bought a couple of packs, but I haven't tried them yet. The ad says that they are great for Cowboy shoots. The add was in the Chronicle about a month ago.

Hi Ray ,

I've not read evey post so this could have been covered already .

Try a contact on only your dominant sighting eye that puts the sight in good focus .

Give your self several tries at getting your brain to "auto focus " on whatever it is

that your really wish to focus on . It took me a couple hours over two days to get my

brain to "auto focus" and it beats the dickens out of bifocals . your brain will use

whichever eye it needs to focus on what you wish to see . I do shoot with both

eyes open and it works fine for me .

Always enjoy watching you shoot at Mason Dixon !!

Train Robber

This post has given me a wealth of information concerning my eyesight an shootin, I thank you all for your comments. I guess its just hard ta get old. A feller wants ta stay young have good eyes an joints but it just doesn't work that way.

Thank you all again for tryin ta help me

RRR

This post has given me a wealth of information concerning my eyesight an shootin, I thank you all for your comments. I guess its just hard ta get old. A feller wants ta stay young have good eyes an joints but it just doesn't work that way.

Thank you all again for tryin ta help me

RRR

Hey I'm glad yer working it out.....in a few years I be asking you!

I won't add to the eyegasses discussion. Everything that needs to be said was said. However, you also asked about contacts. They are difficult to wear in dusty conditions since dust can get under them and irritate the eye. Keep your local range conditions in mind when considering them.

Hey Ray,

You already got lots of tips and a few laughs. I had my eye doc make a pair with a clear focal point at 30" which works for my arms with pistols and long guns. I also had him add a very narrow bifocal area at the bottom (about 1/2 the normal width) just so I had something where I could look into the action if needed or read smaller print. I can also look over the top for distance if I need to see something more clearly or spot.

I was looking at some of the shooting eyewear at LS and the vendor there had some nice ones with lenses built in but they were very pricy.

Sheesh. You guys who are just now starting to need glasses make me laugh. :D Or else green with envy.

I've been wearing glasses since I was around six years old. I used to think four eyes was my middle name. Of course I can't find my way out of bed in the morning without my glasses on.

I started wearing bifocals when I was around 18. Hated the line. I've been wearing progressive lenses now for the last 25 years or so, have lost count. For me, progressives are no problem. But 'head pointing' has to come naturally or they are a big pain.

If you are just now starting to need glasses, go on down to the drug store and try some of the dollar pairs.

BUT....eye protection is required most places where I shoot. Don't show up with cheap glass lenses and expect them to protect your eyes. Cheap glass shatters on impact. My normal everyday glasses have safety lenses in them, so I wear them shooting too. That way I don't need to slip on any extra safety glasses.

Ah yes, the joys of aging. Print becomes smaller, sights get fuzzy.....

I wear both contacts and glasses. Contacts when shooting and normal daily wear, glasses after I get home for the evening. Glasses are progressive bifocals (honest, I thought the lined bifocals would work better but the ONE set I had way back well, lets just say NO!

I have "cheaters" ever-dang where. I got a set for work, always stays in the same place so I don't forget it. Got an extry pair in my locker at work. Got'em in my office at home, bathroom, kitchen, reloading bench, and a couple of other places I don't remember where. (but there's always a set somewhere.)

My glasses don't work for shooting cuz you gots to tip yer head so far back to see the sights... (those of ya that are there, know what I mean) I wear contacts when shooting, eyedrops are handy to have for dry, windy days. I have a clear set for shooting and a dark set with readers in the bottom for posse duties. I also have an extra clear set with reader lenses in them for cloudy days. I had the eye doc make up a set of shooting glasses and they work (for most people a "computer" prescription will work) but no side protection. What I use now is safety glasses and a stick on reader correction right in front of my master eye so's I can see the sights clear.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/

This place has shooting/safety glasses with reader inserts. Some models have only bottom, some have top and bottom. They also have the optx 20/20 stick on readers (do a search for stick on readers)

If you have the right kind of eye doc (I do) they will let you bring yer guns in and set your glasses up specifically for youre shooting needs. Just so happens the off-the-shelf stuff works better for me than what she would make up. (it is cheaper too!)

I've saw these and will try them. What the heck sounds like a Business exp to. Thanks pard.

RRR

These are what I use. I only need them for capping but I do need them there.

Archived