SASS Wire Forum

I need help.

Red River Ray SASS#33254

Its come time.

What you fellers a wearin ta see? Contacts er glasses?

Bifocals er what?

RRR

I got readin glasses everywhere, kitchen table, car, shop, computer room, garage etc. I don't use 'em to shoot but I do need sumthin soon. Yer not alone, Rye :rolleyes:

Hi Ray!

I've been near sighted (can't see distance) forever. At about 40, I started wearing bifocals. For shooting, I had glasses made that allow me to see my front sights clearly, which I could not do with either part of my bifocals.

If this is something new for you, it sounds like you must need glasses for reading. I'm not sure how that would work. However, the important thing is to be able to see your front sight. Our targets are big and close enough that they aren't too blurry. <_< So, if your front sights aren't clear with your "readers," you may need shooting glasses too.

As to contacts vs glasses. I had contacts when I was a teenager. It was a vanity thing. :rolleyes: Now, I like the way glasses hide the bags under my eyes. :ph34r:

:blink:

Allie

PS My shooting glasses are NOT bifocal. They just focus on the front sight.

I wear bifocals.

BUT I had them made with the close up lens on top (focus about 21") and the far lens on the bottom. (focus at about 50 feet)

If you pay attention when you sight you will find you lean forward using the top of your glasses to see the sights and the bottom part of the lens to move around the stage.

Makes it hard to keep score thought. Have to raise the score sheets up to see through the top lens.

RRR,

I have always had very good eye sight but finally age has forced me to use reading glasses. I hate the dang things. :rolleyes:

So my solution for the range was a cheap pair of bifocal safety glasses.

Here is a link to one company that sells them.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/safreadglas.html#top

J.D.Lee

Its come time.

Bifocals er what?

RRR

I use a pair of yellow tint safty glasses with my reading perscription and ask the doc to set them up at arms lenth, can see sights real clear and the target is only a little out of focus.

CCBA

My brother has cataract..........

I drive a Rincoln

Thank you, ya'll have been great, I'll be here all week, don't forget to tip your waitress. :rolleyes:

As for the OP, I wear the same script that I wear daily, in bifocal form. Works out fine for me, but I can see how it would be very dependant on what your eyes are like. When I went back to riding bikes a couple years ago I did try some soft contacts, easier to wear under the helmet don't you know. The second time they wadded up in my left eye going down the hiway they went in the trash, the other 11 pairs went to the local Lions Club. <_<

My brother has cataract..........

I drive a Rincoln

He He, problem is at 18" I can't tell what color your house is in tha woods. Pink I think, wasn't that your color there good lookin?

RRR

Hi Ray!

I've been near sighted (can't see distance) forever. At about 40, I started wearing bifocals. For shooting, I had glasses made that allow me to see my front sights clearly, which I could not do with either part of my bifocals.

If this is something new for you, it sounds like you must need glasses for reading. I'm not sure how that would work. However, the important thing is to be able to see your front sight. Our targets are big and close enough that they aren't too blurry. <_< So, if your front sights aren't clear with your "readers," you may need shooting glasses too.

As to contacts vs glasses. I had contacts when I was a teenager. It was a vanity thing. :rolleyes: Now, I like the way glasses hide the bags under my eyes. :ph34r:

:blink:

Allie

PS My shooting glasses are NOT bifocal. They just focus on the front sight.

About 40 my Azz I no ye only bout 32. Thanks makes sense

RRR

RRR,

I have always had very good eye sight but finally age has forced me to use reading glasses. I hate the dang things. :rolleyes:

So my solution for the range was a cheap pair of bifocal safety glasses.

Here is a link to one company that sells them.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/safreadglas.html#top

J.D.Lee

I've saw these and will try them. What the heck sounds like a Business exp to. Thanks pard.

RRR

Wed Wiver Way,

My situation is zackly like Allie's. I wear progressive bi-tri-quad focals for daily work but I had my eye doc set me up some safety type glasses just to see my front sights clearly.....no more, no less.

My previous eye doc set me up some glasses that were terrible. I called him up and told him I couldn't make out anything at a distance. He told me to bring em back and recheck me.

I get to his office and he sez: 'lets go outside'.

We get outside and he points up in the sky and ask: 'Whats that up there in the sky'?

I sez: 'thats the Sun'.

He sez: 'my goodness, just how far do you want to see'?

..........Widder (still ain't learnt to say my 'R's yet)

Widder you won't do, my problem is like most elderly fellers, I can't read anymore and my front sight is dern near gone on my pistols. I've become a purdy good point shooter already (for real) I can't see tha front sight. I tried straight readin glasses and they drive me crazy walkin an runnin but sumpins gotta give

RRR

Insurance wise I can only do the glasses thing once every two years so this last time I just got my regular distance script and called it good. The distance to my pistol front sight in a firing stance is a noticeable difference from the distance to my rifle front sight and my shotgun front bead so I had to give up on that focal length idea. No matter which one I picked, the others would be noticeably off and fuzzy. So now they are all the same amount of fuzzy. Smithy.

As soon as i turned forty i needed reading glasses,i had a pair of safety glasses made at 1.25 ,the wrap arround type,the ones with two sets of lenses are horrible and dont work, these are one piece with zero distortion.They work perfectly for me,front sight crisp, target slightly fuzzy.They were not cheap ,about $400 or so but well worth it in my opinion!!!

Its come time.

Bifocals er what?

RRR

Ray, take a 28" dowel rod and go to an optometrist. Tell him you want the right eye to be for 28" and the left eye to infinity. When he does his exam have him use the distance of the dowel for his measurments. Have him make a prescription to that spec and have glasses made. Your brain will correlate the 2 prescriptions in about 20 minutes and then you will have a crystal clear site picture. you most likely won't b able to read stage instructions really well but you will be happy with the way you shoot. This Rx is fro LongHunter

Ray,

It's sort of a senior moment thing. I wear tri-focal or bi-focal regular glasses. Neither work well for shooting. Went to my Opti type gal, and had lenses made for my "Bolle Parolle" safety glasses. You need to try lenses that give you sharp focus from your elbow to the floor. That way your front sight will be sharp and clear and the targets a little "fuzzy" the way their suppose to be. Also, you can walk around without trippin over your ...............

If there is a requirement for pretty girls at a distance, change your glasses real quick. :rolleyes:

Coffinmaker

Hoo the hail needs sights on a pistol enneewayz? But if yer a nerviss sort, waller out the back sight till the front sight looks like a comb fer a pretty near bald guy, three wide spaced teeth, and be dun wiff it. Then like I sez, git ya some plain shooting glasses, color of yer choice, wiff readers in da bottoms.

I wear progressives. I wonder if you could get bifocals or progressives that are corrected for close only and no correction on top. That way you have eye protection and can see up close too. Time to visit the optometrist no matter senior!

Howdy RRR, I wear glasses everyday with 1/4 bifocals in the bottom for reading. For the shooting I finally went to CVS and got a full size pair of reading glasses to see the sights, helped alot. I plan to have a pair made with my regular script in the left side and full reading lens in the right side, like what Dirt is talking about. Evil Roy suggest taking two sharp pencils with you to the docs office to use for focus. Good Luck

Jefro :rolleyes: R-E <_<

RRR,

You could always go for a bionic shootin' eye like Manatee has in his avatar :)

Manatee.....................When you gonna get that "bad" eye fixed anyway ?

Ray,

I am near sighted and find that B&L Multi-Focal contacts work very well for me. No lines and no problem seeing and adjusting to any distance but very close. I have been wearing them for years. I have tried shooting with glass but hate the outside curve affect ya get with glasses

Wyatt

RRR, Though I probably needed them around 40 I didnt actually admit it Until about 45, just made sure I had lots of bright lite when reading. It finally got so I was spending half a day trying to git a needle threaded and them is big old needles and thread I use. After getting bi-focals, I used them until recently and just used the ole bobble head doll shooting method. I retired a few years ago and deciced to get my last set of free glasses made like is recommended by ER. I didnt quite do it like Jefro though, I had the left lens done as just a distance lens without the bi-focal. The right eye seems to be the trick and requires some help with measurements. You need someone to pull a tape from the sights of your favorite set of guns to yore bright red eyeballs while the guns are in shooting position. Take this set of measurements to the eye doc and tell him you need yore focal length set fer this. It helps to find one thet understands guns an guy stuff as the one I had started crying and slobberin all over me when I told him these were going to be hunting glasses. PS: I didnt like mine fer years, it gives a weird sensation when wearing them at first.

Its come time.

Bifocals er what?

RRR

Glasses, have your doctor prescribe a set of glasses just for shooting. I have one complete lens set just for front sight distance, and the other my normal long distance prescription. First time you put them on it will take the brain a few minutes to get trained which eye to use but after that, about a 5 minute brain break in for the day of shooting. Doctor set shooting eye prescription for mid way between rifle and pistol front sight distance. As we get older up close focus distance shrinks to less than 12 inches (from min to max) so the two sight distances need to be no more than about this difference. I then went to Costco and purchased safety glasses with this prescription and added side shields. I know many shooters that have done this. If you try to use bifocals you are always having to tilt your head just perfect to shoot.

If I recall correctly, Evil Roy recommends having the lens for your strong eye made for sharp focus at a distance midway between your rifle sight and revolver sight distances in shooting position and the second lens for long distance. Your brain sorts it out and everything is reasonably in focus.

I know I'm losing time due to poor vision and I'm going to have to do something this year as well. This is especially a problem at ranges where the firing line is in the woods or otherwise heavily shaded and I shoot at a lot of ranges like that. In bright light your pupil stops down just like a camera lens and you get better depth of field.

I wear progressives. I wonder if you could get bifocals or progressives that are corrected for close only and no correction on top. That way you have eye protection and can see up close too. Time to visit the optometrist no matter senior!

+1

I wear progressives also to shoot.. kinda wish I had them set up for the front sight distance... but I didn't...

Gives me an excuse when I miss :ph34r:

Rance :)

I have the same problem as Rye Miles, reading glasses all over the house. What I have found that works for me is to wear my weakest readers, (1.25) when I shoot. It allows me to see the front sight clearly and the target is just a little fuzzy.

Archived