SASS Wire Forum

Guess I should have listened to my mom

Grizzly Dave

Mom called me at the office, about quarter til three "you'd better head home it's nasty out there"

"ok mom, I'll see if I can get out a bit early"

"it's really nasty, snow and wind and can't hardly see, you should leave now"

"ok mom, I'll see what I can do, gotta go, bye"

Well, I've never been one to hang on at the office with a reasonable excuse to leave early, but today the gal who covers late phones was out at a funeral, and the gal that usually covers for her had a dentist appointment, so...I was up to cover late phones, besides, it wasn't even snowing at the office...yet.

I held out for about an hour, by then it was snowing hard at the office and the phones hadn't rung, so I headed out.

Fairly close to the office is a big hill to go over some railroad tracks. As luck would have it, I got just a little way up it and had to stop. As I tried to ease the clutch out to get going again and just spun, I remembered that while I have very good all season Michelin tires on my commuter, they are 4 years old.... took me forever to get up and over that hill.

Thankfully that was the worst of it, but by then my belly was in a knot, dunno if it was nerves or forgetting my belly meds this morning, the rest of the drive was nerve wracking but un-eventful. Roads really weren't that bad (snow, blowing snow, packed snow, and ice) if you could avoid the idiots who were spinning out and smashing each other.

And of course, when I got home, I had to call mom and let her know I was home safe....and I should have listened to her.

Grizz

Filly, 1 AM? Dang, better you than me I guess, I did shift work when I was younger and liked it, but as I get older I don't know that I could handle it.

I think you'll be fine, might take you a while to scrape your car off though if you aren't in a parking garage. Hope you don't have too far to go. As long as the winds die down it should be ok by that hour.

You drive safe now, ya hear? :rolleyes:

Grizz

Don't it chap your.............knuckles how they seem to always be right. <_<

In 1994 I went to IHMSA Internationals in Ft. Stockton, Tx in the middle of the summer. Now if you've ever been there in the summertime you know you're about as likely to need a jacket as you would in Las Vegas, Phoenix, etc. It's a freaking DESERT! My mom warned me I should take a jacket. Of course that was the silliest thing I'd ever heard, so I didn't . Right in the middle of shooting one afternoon it come up a thunderstorm and I blame near froze! :rolleyes:

JHC

Grizz,

I am planning on Pawnee. What are chores? Oh that must be what Kiowa does! LOL

I practiced Gunfighter this week. Was lots of fun.

Filly

Glad you made it home safe, Grizz. Like they say, "A mother is a boy's best friend." :rolleyes:

Grizz,

I am planning on Pawnee. What are chores? Oh that must be what Kiowa does! LOL

I practiced Gunfighter this week. Was lots of fun.

Filly

The weather was crappy in Cheyenne, it blew out quickly and things are clear now.

Practice just wears your guns out prematurely! Belle's been thinkng about shooting Gunfighter too.

LL'

Just kidding about the Gunfighter thing.

Down here south of Colorado 94 and east of I-25 we just had wind last night, Grizz. When I got up this morning, there was frost on the car windows, but no snow, so I expect Filly had no trouble getting home.

I am ever so grateful for the reprieve! We have a crew installing new windows on the house right now. Temps outside at 28 degrees, light wind. Temps inside have fallen to 57.

Buena suerte, compadre

eGG

Grizz, I owned and operated a 1998 K.W. tractor/tailer and I drove over 2 millon miles acident free.

Not to be braggin' but each winter, I drove as ifin' it was my 1st winter.

Had a few white knuckle moments me oun self !!:D

Not to be braggin' but each winter, I drove as ifin' it was my 1st winter.

If everyone would drive that way, things would go a lot better.

I thought sure you'd been caught running with scissors again!

I keep some strap-on chains in the trunk of my cars and the van.

Easy to use and very effective for short stints.

Archived