SASS Wire Forum

Another Lee Modification For BP & Subs

About a week ago I posted a thread about modifying the powder bushing in a Lee LoadAll to use it to make BP shotshells. With a little tweaking, the AutoDisk powder measure can be modified to throw enough powder to load cartridges.

Lee designed the disks to stack and lock together so bigger charges can be measured out. They do sell a riser kit for $15, but there's a cheaper way that works just as well. Two 6-32 2" screws and two #6 nylon spacers, 1/2" long and 1/4" O.D. for about 75 cents are all you need. Sand the spacers down to .455" tall.

On the disks, breaking the edges down on the cavities makes the powder flow easier without bridging or shearing. I have to thank another pard for that hint, and his alias escapes me at the moment. I just used a large countersink and gave it a few turns to put a slight bevel on the edge of the hole.

A little math to figure out which holes to line up, and then doublecheck with a BP measure to make sure you've got the right amount. I found that stacking them so the larger hole is on top makes the powder flow better.

Remove the old screws from the powder measure, lift off the hopper, replace with the 2" screws, and slide on the spacers. Insert the disk stack, and re-attach the hopper to the base. Fill with powder, and check for charge and function. By making the spacers .455" tall (the disks themselves are .450" tall) it allows for a little compression to keep everything snug without powder leakage when the knurled nuts are tightened down.

I checked my initial calculations against a volumetric BP measure, and also weighed the amount. Ran a test series of throws, and all of them filled the BP measure to the mark, and weighed out to + or - .5 grain. As further check, I compared my results against the chart here http://www.curtrich.com/BPConversionSheet.htm

It's whole lot faster than using a dipper and having a funnel riding around in the charging die.

Howdy Pulp.

The nylon spacers are basically small tubes. They're usually used as stand-offs in electronic gear to separate circuit boards from either the case or each other. I got mine at the local Ace Hardware in the fastener aisle out of the display of little drawers where they keep the specialty and odd screws, knobs, and other stuff. They also carry them at Home Depot and Lowes.

Tubes as you mention will work BUT, the Lee spacers support the powder measure more fully keeping it almost perfectly perpendicular to the die. IMHO, they are worth the $. I have been using the stacked disk method for years with BP & subs with good results using the Lee spacers. Weighing BP is really not worth the effort. It is made to measured and used by volume and that is what the Lee Auto Disk does nicely. If this was a bench rest load for long range, weighing the powder might be an option however for our comp loads, it is not necessary. KISS is my theory.

Jailhouse Jim

Howdy Jim.

I just did the weighing to verify that everything was accurate. Prior to this mod, I used the dippers to throw my powder charges and don't think I ever weighed a single one. Went strictly by volume, the powder fill allowed for about 1/16" of compression, and they all went *bang* every time.

If you think about it, every powder measure out there drops powder by volume. You just have to adjust it to the right volume to get the weight you want. With smokeless that's a critical measurement, with BP + or - .5 grain won't make a bit of difference.

Or: Select the disc that has a hole that is one half of your desired load and simply pull the handle twice.

I like to do things as simple as possible.

Archived