SASS Wire Forum

FS Cap & Ball Revolvers

All these guns shoot fine with their 8" barrels and have clean rifling. I have used them all in matches once I got the bugs worked out of them to make them reliable. If I thought any of them were crap I would take them to a gun show rather than sell them to people I might see on the range some day. All were bought used. I don't know how to take pictures so I will give wordy descriptions of each. Feel free to email or PM me and we can talk. They all take the Remington #10 cap. The Euroarms Remingtons have a lighter frame and smaller grips than Pietta or Uberti Remingtons. The "open" chambers are marked with dots of fingernail polish (remove with nail polish remover if you want). The first two guns were used as a pair in matches until I acquired a pair of stainless Euro Remmies. Buy them both for $310+shipping.

1858 Remington 44cal (1863 NMA) blued by Euroarms, has cylinder scoring ring from turning (that way when I got it), taller factory dovetailed front sight, rest of bluing is about 95%. Made in 1972. $180+shipping

1858 Remington 44cal NMA blued by Euroarms. Has an Uberti Milennium (matte black) cylinder replacing the original cylinder that shaved lead from poor alignment. The Uberti cylinder dropped right in and has been reamed to .450 chamber dia. Cylinder pin was grooved by prior owner. Taller dovetailed factory front sight installed, rest of bluing is about 90% Made in 1979. $150+shipping SOLD pending funds

1858 Remington 44cal NMA STAINLESS by Euroarms. Looks new except for a small 2mm speck (ding) on side of cylinder. 5 of nipples replaced with Track of the Wolf Stainless nipples as prior owner dry fired the gun and battered them. Minor hammer marks on 3 of the nipple cutouts (prior owner, again). Rest of gun is pristine. $250+shipping

1860 Colt Army Pietta blued with "Manhattan" modification (thin brass plate soldered to recoil shield with narrow slot and modified hammer face to prevent cap jams). I still got an occasional cap drag on the recoil shield but no caps in the "works". Nipples replaced with Uncle Mikes stainless, front sight made taller and rear notch cut wider by prior owner/gunsmith. 4 screw frame for shoulder stock. $175+shipping SOLD pending funds.

Howdy Hellgate,

I'll take #4: 1860 Colt Army Pietta blued with "Manhattan" modification (thin brass plate soldered to recoil shield with narrow slot and modified hammer face to prevent cap jams). I still got an occasional cap drag on the recoil shield but no caps in the "works". Nipples replaced with Uncle Mikes stainless, front sight made taller and rear notch cut wider by prior owner/gunsmith. 4 screw frame for shoulder stock. $175+shipping

Please let me know where to send $$ and what form you prefer. Do you know what load it was optimized for?

Thanks,

Hard Mouth

(PM sent with contact info)

Hey Hellgate,

I see you've marked the 1860 SPF. I hope that's me, but I can't finalize until you tell me how much and where. I checked my email and PMs, but no info. Wussup?

You are the one.

Here's a copy of what I THOUGHT I sent to you via the SASS PM route. Thye SASS changed their website format right as we were sending info back and forth. Another fellow who bought a mold from me did not get messages either. Here's what I sent to you in answer to your questions PM'd to me:

Hard Mouth,

I take every "new" gun and from a bench sandbag rest shoot it at 10-25 yds at a 6 bull target. Bull 1, chamber 1, bull 2, chamber 2, etc. After 3 cylinders full I find which chamber if any is less accurate than the rest. The least accurate chamber is marked as the open chamber where the hammer rests. On this gun I do not remember any glaring inaccuracies. I believe it shot to POA in my hands. As for a balanced load, I've never bothered to get that exacting. Basically, I shoot a bunch of 30 grain (full loads) to see if I get any blowback or jams. If not, it passes without tweeking. My "gamer" (important annual/regional match) load is 20grs+lube wad+.454 ball+over ball lube. Piettas will usually take a .451 ball but I use .454s in all my 44s. I usually shoot 23grs powder under the wadded ball. Do you shoot with the Cajon cowboys? If so, is Old Scout, Rowdy Yates, or Midway still shooting? I used to see the latter two once in a while up here in the north for the NW Regional back in the late 90s-early 2000s. Nice Guys. Cap & Ball shooters, of course.

Send exorbitant amount of money $183 ($175+$8 S&H) to:

Tye Wood

3990 SW 91st Court

Portland, Oregon 97225

Archived