SASS Wire Forum

how do you load a 97?

halfcockedd

hi i am new to cowboy shooting and i am wondering how to load a 97 pump shot gun

if you have any pictures or videos please share them! :rolleyes:

your fellow shooter halfcocked,

What a great quote from Roughneck Rod:

go on U-tube and look up cowboy action shooting world records, there is lots of videos on there.

Here's another from me: "Go to a local match; them fellers can answer your questions and show you how to do it a lot easier than we can from this here computer forum."

Good luck, GJ

Yep, go to a few shoots and get a handle on how you want to load. (I have heard that the reason they call it a 97 is because there are 97 ways to load it.) I only shoot a 97 in Wild Bunch in which there is only one way to load it, STUFF IT FULL! Have fun!!

Blackfoot :rolleyes:

Another recommendation for LongHunter's video on the Member's Page of the SASS website. He demonstrates loading one in the port and one in the tube, single loading from the right and single loading over the top.

I can use any of the three methods.

Of course it takes me about twenty times as long as LongHunter to do any of them!

Here are a couple of links to stuff I've put together...

http://www.jspublications.net/tips/Breakin...Shot/index.html See chapter 5 on shotguns.

A few articles here under Shotgun: http://www.jspublications.net/tips.html

Here's a video: http://www.jspublications.net/vids/Basic97.wmv

I normally start with "Through the loading port, Plastic part to the front." Seriously, the previous two guys gave you the "examples" route.

Coffinmaker

CC: its obvious you ain't been watching me. I manage to get the brass end part at the front. :rolleyes:<_<:blink:

..........Widder

Well, I am a left handed 97 shooter, but this method works very well for me...

Wrack slide open, grab shell from pouch on right hip with right hand, leaving gun shouldered, toss shell into port, close slide, bang.

With a little bit of practice, I have gotten reasonably fast with this method. I have also found that, personally, I am a little quicker with the pouch than in grabbing the shells from loops on a belt. Your milage with that may vary.

Now, if you are a right handed shooter, I dunno... I might be diffcult reaching for shells with the right, hand, and thus supporting the gun with the left on the slide whilst shouldered, but maybe with practice it can be done.

Most righties I have seen do what I do, mirror imaged, but instead of tossing the shells into the open port, the load with the left hand "over the top" of the gun.

Good luck!

Hey Widder!!!!

I ain't gonna tell ya how often I've tossed a round in the port backards. They don't cycle real well that way. The posse seems to get a good laugh out of it though. Heck, if you aren't winnin, at least be entertainin!!

Coffinmaker

Archived