SASS Wire Forum

any bad smoke wagons?

halfcockedd

ive been wanting to get a pair of smoke wagons but before i buy a pair i wanted to know any complaints or if anybody really loves them

halfcocked

Be careful what you ask for. Especially complaints. You can get "Friday" built guns from any of the importers. Just the way it is. Heck, you can get Friday built guns from Colt and USFA as well. However ...............

The "Smokewagons" are nice. Not a bad choice at all. If you happen to get a "Friday" gun, you'll get great service from the importer.

Coffinmaker

Like mine enough that Im getting set of 44Spec cylinders installed to go along with the factory 44-40s. That and I have them about 2/3s engraved, including my alias makes me think they are keepers. I doubt you will ever think you should have bought something else.

Like mine enough that Im getting set of 44Spec cylinders installed to go along with the factory 44-40s. That and I have them about 2/3s engraved, including my alias makes me think they are keepers. I doubt you will ever think you should have bought something else.

To answer the post, I have a pair and they are my main match guns. I really like them. No complaints.

Iron Pony: When I got mine, my FFL guy, Har Trigger, had Taylors include the 44 Special cylinders along with the 44-40s so I can shoot .44 Russians with BP. It really makes a difference for keeping the sight picture (over .44-40) and I still get lots of smoke.

Regards,

TSGG

Tha pair I got were great guns, shot tha heck outa them and they never missed a lick.

RRR

yep

I have a pair in 357 that I use a lot - they have been very good pistols. Like them better after I added the low profile hammers. Thinking about getting a piar in 44-40 for some black powder use ...

My son and I both have our own brace of 44-40 Smoke Wagons. Have had them for about a year now and love them. No problems with any of the four.

Has anyone been able to compare a Smoke Wagon Deluxe to an Evil Roy from Cimarron??? Are these as similar as they look? Afterall they are both Uberti's with some extra tlc from their respective importer? Anyone have any insight on this?

The Smoke Wagon, Evil Roy and the Uberti-labeled "El Patron" all start off basically the same thing: Ubertis made as good as Uberti can make a gun. Which is quite respectable of late.

If you're spending over $500 on an Uberti, you're going to get a gun that looks better than a Ruger NewVaq and worlds better than a USFA Rodeo. But in terms of basic quality of metal and machining, it goes the other way: the USFA is the best made, most likely to shoot straightest, followed by Ruger and then Uberti. Not DEEP in last place mind you, but most folk would rank them that way.

One option is to get a Smoke Wagon that Longhunter has gone through:

http://www.longhunt.com/taylor/smokewagon.htm

He does a nice bit of tuning for the money, and he's also a small enough shop to route any real "birth defect cases" to either Taylor's or Uberti before you ever see 'em. He still ends up costing less than an Evil Roy.

I suspect a Smoke Wagon by way of Longhunter is the best Uberti you can buy.

What else...ah. Berettas. The Stampede is also an Uberti, but apparently something went wrong when they added the transfer bar. Numerous threads around here suggest they're not holding up to high round counts near as well as a good non-safety Uberti.

I lurk mostly on SASSnet because while I'm deeply interested in SA wheelguns, I'm not a SASS player. So my pick was a NewVaq357 as my daily CCW piece - I wanted the transfer bar. I have no regrets. If modifying guns is your thing, Ruger is your best bet by far, there's a lot more parts-swapping potential to tune it to your needs...some of which is actually SASS legal, like the recently approved SBH hammers :).

But if looks matter to you, a high-end Uberti isn't at all bad.

I got a pair of Smoke Wagons in .44-40 a couple years ago. One of 'em was not exactly right. The cylinder was hanging up. It was a factory problem. I sent it back to Taylors and I had it back in 2 weeks. What great service. These guns are great, been shootin them fer 2 years now and never had even a little hitch. :)

Ten Sleep when I got mine a couple of years ago I didnt even think about it but now the idea of shooting the specials with a 165 biglube bullet really appeals to me, should be about like shooting the 1860s. With luck Jim Downing will be back at the Nor'Easter again this year and I can have him scratch up the new cylinders to match the originals.

Halfcocked, forgot to mention mine are the deluxe model and the work done by Cody Conagher is outstanding. The only modification I had done to them was to open up the cylinder gap a touch for use with real powder. I was not aware he would do that from the factory so when you order make sure your FFL mentions it. My big fear is that these will become BBQ guns and be so pretty I wont want to shoot them, nah probably not.

With luck Jim Downing will be back at the Nor'Easter again this year and I can have him scratch up the new cylinders to match the originals.

The boy does good work, don't he!!

I have a pair of evil roys that i actually bought second hand...Have used them for three seasons trouble free so far. I have handled some smoke wagons and cant really tell any differnce. Both are "tuned" and both have the gunfighter style grips which are checkered.I would say buy whichever is availible and offers the best deal. Also the website shows the evil roys offered in stainless steel if that make a differnce..

Noz he does real nice work. Here's a link to a photo of him working on one of the guns last year at the Nor'Easter..

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=536029321525&set=a.536028992185.2036881.74401587

One of them is named Truth, the other one is Justice which go along with the 1860s he did, Liberty and Freedom.

Archived