SASS Wire Forum

What is the best SxS internal diameter for dropping hulls cleanly?

Guest Sheriff Pack Wolf, SASS #31917

Guest Sheriff Pack Wolf, SASS #31917

It never occured to me before, but there may be an optimum demension that shooters use to insure hulls will drop when the shotgun is cleared.

Those that have this nice advantage in your SxS, what are your internal demensions measured with a good micrometer?

I am working on one now, and I haven't got there yet. It is hell to be a newbie.

Thanks,

Pack

Shells will "swell" to whatever the chamber I.D. is for the most part.

Wrap a "tired" 12ga. bore brush with some green Scotch Bright(tight fit to the chamber)and using a LOW speed on you drill motor works well with a back and fourth movement in the chamber. Do this for 1 minute in each chamber and use fresh S/B each time

Also the chamber needs to be free of pits etc.

Respectfully,

LG

Shells will "swell" to whatever the chamber I.D. is for the most part.

Wrap a "tired" 12ga. bore brush with some green Scotch Bright(tight fit to the chamber)and using a LOW speed on you drill motor works well with a back and fourth movement in the chamber. Do this for 1 minute in each chamber and use fresh S/B each time

Also the chamber needs to be free of pits etc.

Respectfully,

LG

Yep, what he said. It doesn't matter how big you make the chamber, the hull is gonna expand to fill it when fired. What you need to ensure positive extraction of spent shells is SMOOOOOOOTH chambers. After you get you chambers polished, there's a couple more things you can do to keep things smooth. Something I learned recently (the hard way) is to carry a short cleaning rod with a 12 guage chamber swab on it in my shooting cart. Swab the chambers after every stage to make sure they're clean of grit and grime that would cause spent hulls to hang up on the next stage. Lastly, when you're loading new shells into your shotgun belt on the range, take a couple of seconds to roll them around in your hands to get all the sand and other stuff off of them. That also helps ensure easy extraction.

(Note to all Neeeevada and Kaleeeefornia shooters: I did NOT say I agree with Lumpy. I want that noted for the record. :) )

Another thing to mention if we are talking about a Stoeger. Make sure that the extractor moves freely. There is a small set screw which keeps it from coming out. The tip of the screw can be rough which can cause the extractor to bind. Remove the screw, clean the hole out, polish the tip of the set screw, and only screw it back it tight enough to capture the extractor but not tight enough to prevent its movement.

Yep, what he said. It doesn't matter how big you make the chamber, the hull is gonna expand to fill it when fired. What you need to ensure positive extraction of spent shells is SMOOOOOOOTH chambers. After you get you chambers polished, there's a couple more things you can do to keep things smooth. Something I learned recently (the hard way) is to carry a short cleaning rod with a 12 guage chamber swab on it in my shooting cart. Swab the chambers after every stage to make sure they're clean of grit and grime that would cause spent hulls to hang up on the next stage. Lastly, when you're loading new shells into your shotgun belt on the range, take a couple of seconds to roll them around in your hands to get all the sand and other stuff off of them. That also helps ensure easy extraction.

(Note to all Neeeevada and Kaleeeefornia shooters: I did NOT say I agree with Lumpy. I want that noted for the record. :lol: )

Hey, Ketchum Quick's Swabber Tool comes to mind...don't know if'n you can find it in the open market, but PM him - he might be able to help.

GG ~ :)

Pack wolf a newbie? hahahahahahahahahaha! :)

I just took a blue shop towel, wrapped it around my finger and rubbed it round and round and in and out, AA hulls fall out nicely as long as I swap out the cyls now and then.

Grizz

Pack wolf a newbie? hahahahahahahahahaha! :)

I just took a blue shop towel, wrapped it around my finger and rubbed it round and round and in and out, AA hulls fall out nicely as long as I swap out the cyls now and then.

Grizz

I chucked a bore mop in a cordless drill and polished the chambers with jewelers rouge.

Archived