SASS Wire Forum

How to flare the lip of holsters?

Buckshot Frank

I noticed at the shoot last weekend that most of the fast shooters were using holsters with the lip of the holster flared quite a bit. I bought a nice used rig (Longhunter Idaho John) and the holsters stay open, but the lips aren't flared like some that I have seen. While practicing holstering my pistols, I sometimes catch the barrel on the lip so I would like to flare the lip open. What is the best way to accomplish this?

Oil up the lip area of the holster and stick a tennis ball in the opening and let it dry and then store your holster with the tennis ball in the opening from there on out and that should do the trick. Double check to make sure that your model of holster is not one that is Kydex lined however because no amount of tennis balling will move the Kydex. My Kirkpatrick model, the Longhunter 09 B Western is Kydex lined and there is a flair but it is not that noticeable just by looking at it. You can tell however, when you go to holster your weapon that the flair is indeed there. Smithy.

I used the tennis ball trick but wet molded the top of the holster using water instead of oil. Oil tends to make the leather flexible.

Blackfoot :rolleyes:

+1 Use water to wet mold,never heard of using oil to mold. As a matter of fact be careful what oil and how much one uses on leather or maybe it's just me. Adios Sgt. Jake

Oil up the lip area of the holster and stick a tennis ball in the opening and let it dry and then store your holster with the tennis ball in the opening from there on out and that should do the trick. Double check to make sure that your model of holster is not one that is Kydex lined however because no amount of tennis balling will move the Kydex. My Kirkpatrick model, the Longhunter 09 B Western is Kydex lined and there is a flair but it is not that noticeable just by looking at it. You can tell however, when you go to holster your weapon that the flair is indeed there. Smithy.

Do not, repeat do NOT use oil. If you do so, the lip of the holster will get soft and floppy. If you want a stiff lip, use water to soak the lip area, then use something like a coke or beer bottle to widen the flare. When the water dries completely, remove the bottle and try it. Many of Kirkpatrick holsters have double leather and it may not be possible to widen it much more.

Oil would make the leather m,ore flexible and ruin any attempt to make a permanent flair. Use water or alcohol as above. I wet mine and shape it with my fingers.

Never use oil to wet mold leather, it will just make it much more softer and very flexible and loose it's shape. Hard to get them oil out once it's applied. Use water to wet leather, turn that holster lip over and let it dry over time. Some use tennis ball to hold that flare and that's a good idea.

Depending on the thickness of leather (if these are thinner holsters) - I use HOT water to get my leather to flair where I want it and then towel dry off the existing water.

Then I use a solution of water and Elmers white glue and apply the solution to the holster flair, working this solution into the leather - Once I am again happy with the flair - I use ANYTHING round that will keep the flair from collapsing back in.

The glue will harden and stiffen the leather at the flair and keep it from falling in again.

edited: Quality holsters like the OP mentioned are usually two layer and should not be "Glued".

The glue solution works best on single layer holsters or holsters made with too light a weight leather to hold a good shape.

I have found that doing this can make cheaper leather usuable until the shooter can move up to better.

Kirkpatricks should not require such methods.

Totally agree with Awful Close. Even an English bottle is better than a piece of Chinese junk. At least it will give you the typical British "stiff upper lip".

(I know. That was terrible and I should be shot)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the water and a Sam Adams bottle (no Budweiser in the fridge) method tonight. It will give me a good excuse to drink a couple of beers tonight :) . I'll have to dig some raquetballs out of the attic next time I'm up there to use when the holsters are put away. I tried tennis balls, but they slide out.

Mine are Kirkpatrick also..

Had them for about 6 years.. already flaired... but...

When I clean them and get them all done.. I usually wet the top of the holster flair and....

(Now I do some woodworking and I've got hand clamps around..)

I'll take a hand clamp and clamp it onto the flaired top..

I'll let all the clamp handle hang outside to keep pressure on it til it dries....

You don't have to clamp it tight.. just enough for it to hang onto the top of the flair..

Rance :)

thinkin' is it flared or flaired?? :lol:

Get yourself plane alcohol and a large rubberband.

If holster has oil on it forget it, if you use a tennis ball, how does the gun fit.

Place gun in holster, place robber band around barrel in the bottom of the holster to hold in place, bring rubber up to lip to be bent, pull it down until you like the lip, place rubber band on lip, use soft brush place alcohol on lip include all part of bend, let dry. Do twice if necessary, the alcohol will make the leather harder than water.

Do not, repeat do NOT use oil. If you do so, the lip of the holster will get soft and floppy. If you want a stiff lip, use water to soak the lip area, then use something like a coke or beer bottle to widen the flare. When the water dries completely, remove the bottle and try it. Many of Kirkpatrick holsters have double leather and it may not be possible to widen it much more.

I don't want to argue with you folks that have a lot more experience than I. I do want to let you know where I was coming from though with the oil suggestion. When I started out all my stuff was Triple K that I ordered from Cowboy and Shooter's Supply (a large Triple K dealer). They had inclosed an instruction page with my order telling me how to mold my holster to my gun. It was in that instruction sheet where it told me to use a certain type of specialty oil (part of the cobblers trade) and a tennis ball and then let dry. That's what I did and it worked like a champ (no floppy leather here). Although I can certainly see where water or alcohol would be in preference to just any kind of oil! Smithy.

The top flare is only part of the revolver/holster fit. If the cylinders are tight in the holster, spray the inside with warm water and force racquet balls in the holster. This will spread the cylinder area.

I store my Holsters with the racquet balls inserted in the holsters.

If you see me before a shoot with my leather on, look for Lefty with the Blue-Balls. :)

Im not a fan of pushing the balls down into the holster. This got so popular for stretching them at one time that seeing pregnant holsters was a bit common. The little round pooch is a dead give away so keep the ball up at the mouth only, if the flare is what you are interested in.

I ended up using a mixture of alcohol and warm water. I used quick clamps from the bottom of the holster to the lip. This allowed me to dial in the exact amount of flare that I wanted by tightening the clamp. It worked great! Thanks again for the suggestions.

Archived