SASS Wire Forum

Merwin Hulberts

Guest diablo slim shootist

Well, I would say if you saw 2 completed revolvers, then that is much better than the pictures we have been presented with up until now. I will still wait until actual customers get them and reviews start coming out.

OK, you saw them. Is that all you're going to tell us? *What* did you see? Did they look/feel like crap, works of art, nothing special? Mechanically, MWs were supposed to be the most advanced gun of their day; does it look like the new ones are living up to that? What were your impressions?

I am curious about the price since Venturino (sp) said these guns could not be mass produced at any affordable price today.

I'm one of those who sent in a $300 deposit. The finished gun, plus an extra barrel, will cost me an additional $1200. It wouldn't surprise me if prices have to increase fairly soon.

OK, you saw them. Is that all you're going to tell us? *What* did you see? Did they look/feel like crap, works of art, nothing special? Mechanically, MWs were supposed to be the most advanced gun of their day; does it look like the new ones are living up to that? What were your impressions?

Agree, we all need to know more than just "I saw them".

Merwin Hulberts, saw 2 at the gun show

Howdy

Were they originals or the new, much ballyhooed modern ones that everyone is waiting for? Impossible to tell from you post.

I saw one the other day too. Only $500. Original and beat to heck. A real basket case. I passed. If I found an original in reasonably decent shape, I might think about it.

I learned my lesson from the Hartford Armory debacle not to fork over a red cent until they actually produce them. Spent five years chasing my guns/money. I ordered a pair of new (of course) HA 1875's, .45Colt, 7.5", stainless. Finally settled for a pair of used HA 1890's in .357, 5.5" bbl, blue CCH (with holster wear marks). They were either returns or prototypes. Couldn't have been more polar opposite of what I wanted, but it was them or nothing (or refund on an installment plan - no thanks). A valuable lesson that I am still smarting from.

I have been notified that they will have "production" gun at the "Shot Show" .....

Least that is what they is telling us here in Canada .....

Jabez Cowboy

Be interesting to know. With some many of the orginals going to Old Mexico I have seen, owned and handled and shot at bt an orginal M&H 38 caliber once.

One of the first guns I owned was a 38 caliber M&H. They were very well machined and most all were silver plated or nickel plated and many had pearl or a few with ivory grips. One will also find some beautifuly engraved and many will have the Mexican Eagle and snake on the engraving or grips.

I have two major experences with Merwin & Hulberts Revolvers in my life.

I worked with a very old blackman by the name of Willie Grigsby during the mid 1950s. I became a trusted friend of his and in time he started to tell me about his early life in Indian Territory Okahoma. I have told this story here a few years ago in more detail. Long story short, On eday Mr. Gribsy ask me if I would like to have an old gun he had had for many years and of course I said I would. The next day he handed me a white cotton towel and inside it was a silver plated 38 cal. M&H. He told me that he had not ever wanted to touch another gun the rest of his life and the reason he had this gun was because it was given to him by a Black U.S. Marshal by the name of Baz Reeves who had befriended him many years ago when He was on the wrong side of the law and had taken him under his wing and turned his life around. Later one day as he had gone to visit Mr. Reeves, Mr Reeses told Willie that he wanted to give him something and when he handed the old M&H to Willie he told him he had carried the M&H for many years as a back up gun and it had never failed him. Mr. Gribsy remained a friend of Mr. Reeves and was at his funeral the middle of Jan. 1910 when he died. There is a lot more to this story than this and some day I may tell it in full. I still have this old M&H and will never part with it as a gift from a real old timer, Mr. Willy Gribsy.

The secound experence I had with a 38 M&H was during the mid 1960s and as I had a habit of doing I was with another friend of mine who was a border patrolman and it was one very hot day as we slipped alone the rivers edge in and out of cane breaks looking for sign when we heard water spashing down stream and cussing in Spanish. As we came within eye contract we could see several human mules with large back packs coming out of the water [Rio Grande] and one hombre was at the front with a rifle watching the others and cussing them in Spanish to hurry up. My friend and I stepped out of the brush and at once the guy with the rifle fired a fast shot and took off running thur the brush and towards the river downstream as my friend took off after him. I was surprised to see one of the human mules that was an old man try to drop his backpack and as I was looking to see if there was a secound rifleman comeing up at rear and saw none but could hear water spashing and out of the corner of my eye I see smoke coming from the old mans hand and hear the sound of a bullet hitting the mesquite tree next to me. I saw the old man had a gun and he was shooting at me as he dropped his backpack and turned towards the water. I remember seeing only one shot with smoke from a black powder 38 S&W round, But later I found he had fired three rounds at me. I was carrying a Colt 45 Commander and at about 40 -50 feet the 45 hit him once in the back in his spine and another took of the top of his skull. I run past him to help my friend and hear his 45 and the sound of a guy shot and a scream followed by the sound of a hombre falling in the water followed by a secound shot then it was all over. The others were in the water swimming like hell towards the Mexican Bank as others yelled from cover things about our mothers and such but they made damn certian they didnt show them selves. I still have that gun in my collection.

I personally dont see any advantage they have over a Colt SA. But they sure make a nice back up gun or pocket pistol on the small ones. I just saw a fine engraved 44-40 got for under $5,000.00.

I do think there will be solid sales if they can get going. If one wants something different and still period they are a great choice. I did wish the folks well that arer working so hard to bring them back and if they can do that, I know they could do the same with other classics as well. Best of Luck to Them.

Your Pard, Texas Man

TM, could that Baz Reeves be Bass Reeves? Wasn't there a Marshal out of Judge Parker's jurisdiction named Bass Reeves? :FlagAm:

Wiki: "Bass Reeves (July, 1838 - January, 1910) is thought be one of the first, if not the first, African Americans to receive a commission as a Deputy U.S. Marshal west of the Mississippi River."

WELL I HAVE TO FESS UP THEY WERE ORIGINALS-THEY DIDN'T SHOW

UP AT THE SHOT SHOW EITHER-I THINK IF I WAS GOING TO BRING OUT A NEW

PRODUCT I'D HAD AT LEAST A PROTO TYPE AT THAT SHOW :FlagAm:

Yes Four Eyed Buck it is the same man. Thanks, Texas Man

I have been notified that they will have "production" gun at the "Shot Show" .....

Least that is what they is telling us here in Canada .....

Jabez Cowboy

Sorry, not true..I just returned from Shot Show and had a meeting with Michael Blank, CEO of the MH Co.

They have two bare frames and a few assorted parts, but NO finished guns

I think the Canadian Distributer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Isn't going to find that Funny !!!!!

He told his wife he was bringing some back ....

I think that was at least part of his reason for attending the "Shot Show"

Long trip if he has nothing to show,,,, he has already been taking deposits on these guns of $600 ....

Jabez Cowboy

There was an original Merwin Hulbert at the last gun show in Richmond, with a $2499 price tag on it.

Sorry, not true..I just returned from Shot Show and had a meeting with Michael Blank, CEO of the MH Co.

They have two bare frames and a few assorted parts, but NO finished guns

Thats a shame or a sham i'm not sure which :unsure:

and don't git all high and mighty with me sixgun I want

these guns to come out -but I'm a tool maker by trade

and I know they could have come up with more than just

a couple of pieces -Heck I think I'll make some at work

bet i can make them faster ;)

'm

Archived