SASS Wire Forum

Double Down Jack

Buck D. Law, SASS #62183

Double Down Jack arrived Sunday morning at the Gallant Gunfighters match and after visiting with him a bit, it was decided that I would be his coach for his first match. At the beginning, I told him, "Don't pay any attention to the speed that others are shooting. No matter how hard you try, you're not going to be real fast, but here's what you can do, you can shoot your first match clean. If you do so, you'll be amongst a very, very small number of shooters to have done that."

At his first stage, he was a bundle of nerves, but he hit them all. It was interesting to see him progress in the match. He would begin getting in a hurry and would float the front sight and his shots would move to top of the target. I'd calmly say, "You're shooting high" and he'd immediately pull them back down. By the time he got to the third stage, a stage comparable in time to the first stage, he shot it 30 seconds faster than his first stage.

On his fourth stage, he had calmed considerably, but now I was a bundle of nerves. When he hit that last target, it was hard to tell who was more excited, him or me. Please join me in welcoming and congratulating our new pard, Double Down Jack.

BTW, he's got as bad a case of I'm-Lovin'-bein'-a-Cowboy as I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure he'd snort gunpowder if he thought it would be better than just smelling it in the air. ;)

I did not come close.way to go pard and you too Buck.

THAT JUST PISSES ME OFF!

;)

Wish I had natural talent and BDL for a coach.....

B (who has shot exactly 1 clean match in 5 years)K

Welcome Double Down! It is a very addictive sport for sure...

Congrats on the Clean Shoot!

Kid Doubleday

Buck. After he shot clean did he go WHEEEEEEEE?

I shot my first couple matches clean way back when…….probably shooting in the upper 40’s. Because I KNEW I couldn’t win and was just shooting it seemed pretty easy. Once everyone convinced me I had a “knack” for it and I realized I could do it…….well, several years went by before I shot clean again…….lol. I hope he’s sticks with it and has a much fun with it as I have……good story.

Archived