SASS Wire Forum

Shot my first match over the weekend

Buckshot Frank

I shot my first match this weekend with the Miakka Misfits. It was also my first time shooting a lever action and I was using a 73 carbine that I just picked up on Wed and hadn't had a chance to shoot prior to the match. My first stage was a disaster! It started with the shotgun, and I was so nervous that I forgot that it has two triggers. I yanked on the front trigger for the second shot and nothing happened. I thought that I had a malfunction until I realized that I'm just an idiot. The rifle was next, and I wasn't counting how many rounds that I fired so I just shot until it was empty. I did the same thing with the first pistol. I completed the stage with two misses (both with pistol).

After the first stage, I settled down a little bit. I had one P for the match when I fired an extra round on a target. I did manage to shoot three stages clean though. My biggest take away from the match was that you don't have time to think about gun handling or transitions while shooting. I had to spend all of my brain power to try to remember the target sequences; the gun handling was on autopilot. I guess that is what practice is for...

My wife went, but she was too scared to shoot; she has to be eased into things. Luckily, the Territorial Governor (Deadlee Headlee) convinced her to shoot a stage after the match. Someone walked her through the entire stage from the loading table to the unloading table. She missed her first couple of shots and the person helping her got her on target. Once she got on target, she did well. More importantly, she got hooked and wants to go shoot a match next weekend!

I'd like to thank everyone that made us feel welcome.

Buckshot,

Congratulations to both you and your wife. I always joke at times like this I feel like a drug dealer...." Come on try it just once." :rolleyes:

Maybe some day we will be able to shoot together some where down the road.

Smoke

Buckshot

MY CONDOLENCES TO YOU AND YER BETTER HALF! ;) We got our claws in ya, ya ain't never gonna be the same again. Seriously though, glad to hear ya had a good time. And havin yer wife shootin with ya is a BIG BONUS in my book. My wife (Fannie Kicker) and I are hopelessly hooked on this game. I wish the same curse on you and your wife! Enjoy the ride.

Titus

You are not alone! I shot my first match a few months ago and had a very similar experience. More than once I forgot about the second trigger and tried to pull twice. I was also too flustered to bother counting and ended up snapping on my empty cylinder several times.

My second match was much better. After practicing, and with fewer butterflies in the stomach, I did much better.

Stick with it!

-Solo Sam

Like the others, I say welcome to our fire! Keep comin round, keep havin fun. I have been playin this game for about 12 years now and have made some of the best friends a feller could ever hope for. This game has no class warfare, my friends in SASS come from all walks of life. Don't be nervous and shy around top shooters. They are 9 of 10 times willing to take you under their wing and do all they can to help you to be a top shooter as well. Enjoy the ride Pard, hope to meet you somewhere along the trail!

I'm no pro and haven't been around long, but from my experience and hearing others you did pretty good. That first stage and even match is so exciting/nerve racking and fun that it is hard to settle down. I've talk to people who have been shooting for years and still get that feel on the line. The best advice I have gotten and can give is to take it slow, have fun and all will work out... Congrats and Thanks for posting....

Hey Pard,

Congratulations to you and your wife for joining us.

I missed 44 on five stages at my first match, thought I'd been renamed "action open," and was still hooked.

Hubby made me practice several times before my first match. However, as I'd had so little experience with guns and was very nervous, it took me a long time to calm down. It took me eight months before I even cleaned a stage.

So, this is to all the newbies out there. Give it time and have fun with the folks until you reach the point where you can focus on things other than safety. Don't rush yourselves. Don't beat yourselves up for your mistakes.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Buckshot,

All of us at the Miakka Misfits enjoyed having you and your wife at the match. And don't worry about how you did because you actually did GREAT for a new shooter. 3 clean stages is fantastic! Also you pitched right in and did some posse chores to boot! A great start in my book for a new cowboy shooter!

I look forward to seeing you and your wife next weekend at Ruskin.

Now she just needs an alias... ;)

-Deadlee

Buck Shot good for you!! Take all the time you need to get comfortable and safe. Like Headlee said you jumped right in and helped with the posse chores. To me that is just as much as shooting clean. You are on the right track to be welcome at any match and on any posse.

Good luck to you and get the bride to the next match!!

Glad to have you both.You are hooked now. and with the wife wanting to shoot that is even better. I have been in it for about 5 months now, My wife goes with me but she dont want to shoot yet. Hang on it only gets better.

Buckshot,

All of us at the Miakka Misfits enjoyed having you and your wife at the match. And don't worry about how you did because you actually did GREAT for a new shooter. 3 clean stages is fantastic! Also you pitched right in and did some posse chores to boot! A great start in my book for a new cowboy shooter!

I look forward to seeing you and your wife next weekend at Ruskin.

Now she just needs an alias... ;)

-Deadlee

Thanks Deadlee. Cassie is still trying to come up with an alias. She has a couple in mind, but hasn't decided yet.

We are planning on shooting in Ruskin next weekend, but my '73 is in pieces right now. I took it apart yesterday to fix the loading issue. While its apart, I ordered the SlixSprings to replace the stock ones because the stock lever spring has gouged the lever cam pretty good after only one shoot. Hopefully the springs will arrive this week. If not, I could always put the stock springs back in for the shoot.

I had to smile reading your post. In my first match I was shooting a borrowed coach gun with two triggers. My brain knew there were two triggers but my finger forgot once the buzzer went off. I am used to shooting a single trigger O/U so I kept pulling the front trigger and wondering why it wouldn't fire.

Luckily the peanut gallery began yelling "second trigger, second trigger!" until I woke up.

That's what's great about shooting Cowboy. Even fouling up can be fun if you have the right attitude.

I shot my first match this weekend with the Miakka Misfits. It was also my first time shooting a lever action and I was using a 73 carbine that I just picked up on Wed and hadn't had a chance to shoot prior to the match. My first stage was a disaster! It started with the shotgun, and I was so nervous that I forgot that it has two triggers. I yanked on the front trigger for the second shot and nothing happened. I thought that I had a malfunction until I realized that I'm just an idiot. The rifle was next, and I wasn't counting how many rounds that I fired so I just shot until it was empty. I did the same thing with the first pistol. I completed the stage with two misses (both with pistol).

After the first stage, I settled down a little bit. I had one P for the match when I fired an extra round on a target. I did manage to shoot three stages clean though. My biggest take away from the match was that you don't have time to think about gun handling or transitions while shooting. I had to spend all of my brain power to try to remember the target sequences; the gun handling was on autopilot. I guess that is what practice is for...

My wife went, but she was too scared to shoot; she has to be eased into things. Luckily, the Territorial Governor (Deadlee Headlee) convinced her to shoot a stage after the match. Someone walked her through the entire stage from the loading table to the unloading table. She missed her first couple of shots and the person helping her got her on target. Once she got on target, she did well. More importantly, she got hooked and wants to go shoot a match next weekend!

I'd like to thank everyone that made us feel welcome.

Buckshot, congratulations on your first shoot and getting your wife interested as well. You might as well start looking for a bigger safe, they fill up fast. I started this in '05 and mine is bulging at the seams now.

If you make it to Tennessee anytime come and shoot with us in Wartrace.

Randy

http://wartracecowboys.blogspot.com/

Sounds like the hook is set deep into the both of ya. Glad ya had such a great first time.

Your first time sounds like mine. Had only shot my cap & ball pistols once each and my shotgun a couple of times before the match, but didn't get to shoot my brand new Winchester 94 until the match. It was the first gun to be shot on my very first stage. Buzzer went off and I levered in a round, "click", nuttin happened. Levered in another and same results. Levered in a 3rd and somebody hollered, "safety" safety"! I hollered back "I am being safe it just won't fire!!" Then I turned and said a little nicer, "oh!! you mean it has a safety." :P:)

Welcome to the fire...

...you and your wife are on the road for sure now!!!! You'll not be around a greater bunch of folks than what shoot Cowboy Action.....

...be safe and have a great time.....

Congratulations on joining the rest of us dress-like-cowboys/cowgirls, buyin' a crazy load of equipment, spendin' your weeknights loadin', spend your weekends shootin' and lookin' at non-cowboys like they wuz missing out bunch of fun and such that cannot be described in words!!!

I applaude your focus on just needing to settle down and shoot. It is not always about getting the right shootin' irons or leather or aerodynamic hat. Much of doing well is about practice and keeping your wits during the stage.

Hope to shoot with you in 2011.

Well done Buckshot & if you get the missus shooting ,well that's a bonus.

Actually I envy those couples that shoot together & share a common interest, sure beats being told 'you shoot to much !!

Lots of enjoyment to be had & geat friendships to be made...go for it .

Thanks Deadlee. Cassie is still trying to come up with an alias. She has a couple in mind, but hasn't decided yet.

We are planning on shooting in Ruskin next weekend, but my '73 is in pieces right now. I took it apart yesterday to fix the loading issue. While its apart, I ordered the SlixSprings to replace the stock ones because the stock lever spring has gouged the lever cam pretty good after only one shoot. Hopefully the springs will arrive this week. If not, I could always put the stock springs back in for the shoot.

I have an extra set of the Slix springs if you need them. Let me know.

-Deadlee

Buckshot, It was a pleasure shooting with you at Myakka this past weekend. I saw your wife shoot and have to warn you that the practiced standard here in Florida is that when your wife beats you in a match, you have to wear a dress for the next match.

That's how Dang it Dan and Deadlee Headlee got so good. (Trying to keep from getting beat by their wives!)

See you in Ruskin.

Buckshot, It was a pleasure shooting with you at Myakka this past weekend. I saw your wife shoot and have to warn you that the practiced standard here in Florida is that when your wife beats you in a match, you have to wear a dress for the next match.

That's how Dang it Dan and Deadlee Headlee got so good. (Trying to keep from getting beat by their wives!)

See you in Ruskin.

I guess that I should probably pick a dress out now then, because there is a distinct possibility of her outshooting me. She is pretty much a natural shooter. She already shoots pistols better than I do, which isn't that hard since I'm terrible with pistols, but she can also hold her own with precision rifles and is pretty tough with an AK too. While I will read about and practice techniques, she just shoots her own way and usually does pretty good.

Luckily for me, she will never practice though. :)

Archived