SASS Wire Forum

Extremely rare AND

Slowhand Bob, 24229

Guys I made an investment some years back in a pair of shotguns and am wondering if anyone might know how much they have appreciated. Now I can assure you that if you got the big bux+++ I just might could be persuaded but figure that few cowboys can afford this and will probably go to one of the big auction houses.

For some of the newer guys, what I have is the first run of the Coyote Cap '87s. Due to some misunderstandings (whatever??) the old China man sent ole Cap a boatload of Plain Jane models instead of the custom ones he had ordered. I believe the serial numbers were actually registered to the customers in the order they were received and this caused additional problems since your number was now on less of a gun than you had bargained for. Cap resolved this by creating matched sets with coordinated numbers between the plain guns and the later CC special grades that came a short time later. If you had pre=ordered a Cap Special model you were able to get its numbered mate to create a valuable matched pair, sure to go up in value, uuuh kinda like mis-stamped gold coins!!!

Well guys, what with the sagging economy and my diminishing retirement funds, I am ready to collect now and have my wheel barrow ready. My questions, will the wheel barrow be enuff or do I need to hook up the trailer? Last but not least, since the tab may really get high on this one is there any valid reason to not split up the pair?

I recognize that your question is somewhat tongue in cheek.

Someone may pay a slight premium to have two 87's with similar numbers (they have to be different in some way per ATF&E regs, perhaps a prefix or suffix) but you may be waiting a long time for someone who wants to pay for two guns at once. I'd offer them together but split them up if someone wanted just one.

Many of the early guns also had issues. I was one of the ones who put down an early deposit on the special model for a "locked-in" price and an estimated delivery date. The actual delivery date was far later than promised (not a big problem, stuff happens) but I was also slapped with a substantial increase, "take it or leave it," on the contracted price. I paid the price but when my gun arrived, there was no sign of the promised action work. It did have the shorter, heavier barrel with choke tubes, nice walnut stocks and pad, but the gun would not even function properly. I took it to Lassiter, who fixed it, which required a defective carrier be welded up. He also did his mods and action work on it and it has been my main match gun ever since. I had thought about sending it back to Cap for a free fix but his turnaround time back then was outrageous and I had my gun back from Tom in just a couple of days.

I think the hot set-up is to buy a standard model and have Lassiter do the work rather than pay for the special model. If I were going to buy one of your guns, I'd be more interested in the standard one.

No Deuce he's not kidding. So here's your sign! If you got the 87 that you did not order for free and paid the regular price for the other! Then if you sold both together, you would get 1/2 of what you paid plus you pay for shipping and handling. GOOD Luck!

To address the "serious" part of your question, no, there probably has not been any amount of appreciation in the value of Coyote Cap's guns beyond the "shooting" value of them. You are certainly not going to make a fortune off of a matched pair of 87s at this point in time. If in 100 years, Coyote Cap attains the stature of the sainted JMB or Samuel Colt, then you could dust off your wheelbarrow and break those guns out of cosmoline. ;)

Good luck, GJ

Oh no, my dreams of finishing my life out traveling the country in comfort while playing SASS, on my gun investmen, isnt going to work then? I had intended to let the investment capitol continue building but at my age you guys indicate that this might not be the best idea, so on to plan "B". Of the two I have, the plain version seems to work pretty well with smokeless but not with bp (unacceptable for me) while the Cap Special does not extract or eject at tall, as received, and definetly would need work. When the two guns are operated side by side, the CC Specials extractors turn loose very much sooner. I did have a local guy do a drop two (whatever) on the plain one and it seems to work well but is awful rough on my arthritis, so with no real incentive not to split them I am considering selling the plain one to fund sending the CC Special to Lassiter.

I have received many opinions on Lassiter, all positive, and most say that after he finishes with one it is actually much smoother and perhaps I can even operate it pain free? My remaining question is, has anyone had him do an '87 to be used for bp shooting and how did it work for that?

Deuce, no offense taken pard BUT I will say that most fokes who know me are just as brutal as you guys when they say I am fulla ....! BD, this is sounding very much like a mirror of your experience, no? Thanks for the insight guys.

Lassiter did my 87 a couple of years ago. I shoot about 800 black powder shotshells through it each year(should never have made those bird throwing poppers) without a hitch. The gun has always worked. I on the other hand am still able to miss the opening on occasion. One mod you might want to consider is to have the buttstock shortened and the angle changed. A recoil pad is nice also. Of all the 87 mods I have seen, Lassiter's works the best.

Now I'm no expert, nor do I play one on TV, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but....

I'd say unless you want to be paid in pennies you can forget about your wheel barrow.

;)

Grizz

No Deuce he's not kidding. So here's your sign! If you got the 87 that you did not order for free and paid the regular price for the other! Then if you sold both together, you would get 1/2 of what you paid plus you pay for shipping and handling. GOOD Luck!

Thanks Phil, that really clears it up ;)

sorry i am butting in but i have only been shooting this game for about 10 months could you please tell how to get a hold of this lassiter and where he is located thank you

From what I've seen the only thing rare about an '87 is finding one that actually works. Then the value is added when the operator practices enough to work it. Both of those together must be the EXTREMELY RARE AND VALUABLE part of the OP. ;)

After you get them running maybe take some pictures and post a video and heck, you're liable to get full WHOLESALE for them here.

Brother King,

I guess I cheated. My 87 works flawlessly, but then again it was made by Winchester in the 1800's and is 10ga! Those big 10ga shells are easier to hold onto than those little 12ga shells ;) Looks like a flame thrower when I fire it too!

Brother King,

I guess I cheated. My 87 works flawlessly, but then again it was made by Winchester in the 1800's and is 10ga! Those big 10ga shells are easier to hold onto than those little 12ga shells ;) Looks like a flame thrower when I fire it too!

Even more rare than extremely? WHOA<<<<<< will SASS WAHR wonders never cease? Bet your posse fights with each other over who HAS to time you.

Barney, it gets better when I pull my boots off, all other pollutants seem to disappear!

Lodan B Fast, last time I found his contact info was through an IM. Type Lassiter in under the search engine and that will get you started towards finding some contact info.

Perhaps I can get Lassiter to do a Utube with it after he gets through, would that help any?

Guest diablo slim shootist
Brother King,

I guess I cheated. My 87 works flawlessly, but then again it was made by Winchester in the 1800's and is 10ga! Those big 10ga shells are easier to hold onto than those little 12ga shells :P Looks like a flame thrower when I fire it too!

Looks like a flame thrower when I fire it-Pictures to prove it please!HAHA :)

How much for the drop two version? Smithy.

sorry i am butting in but i have only been shooting this game for about 10 months could you please tell how to get a hold of this lassiter and where he is located thank you

Chief Range Officer: Lassiter

lassiter45@aol.com

Tom's Single Action Shop

New Lebanon OH

Tom Wildenauer 937-687-1039

Information found on the Big Irons Rangers website and the SASS Affiliated Merchants list.

Captain Woodrow, thank you for your time looking this up for me i do appreciate that. have a great day.

Archived