SASS Wire Forum

Wisconsin to pass civilian CCW permit law

BlackhawkPaul

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110117/us_nm/us_wisconsin_guns

Wisconsin expected to expand gun owner rights: paper

– 1 hr 47 mins ago

(Corrects to attribute story to Lacrosse Tribune newspaper) By John Rondy

MILWAUKEE (Reuters) - Wisconsin, one of two states in the nation that prohibits citizens from carrying a concealed weapon, is expected to reverse this law during the upcoming state legislative session, according to a local newspaper.

Only Illinois and Wisconsin forbid carrying concealed weapons. A Republican was elected governor and Republicans won majorities in both houses of the Wisconsin legislature in November, bringing many more supporters of gun rights to the state government.

"You're going to see a concealed carry bill pass the Legislature, I have no doubt," Chris Danou, a Democratic legislator from Trempealeau, Wisconsin, told the LaCrosse Tribune newspaper. "The question is what kind of bill it's going to be."

Guns are a big part of Wisconsin culture as hunting is popular in the state, which has vast areas of forest and agricultural land. But it has traditionally restricted gun ownership and carrying weapons.

Twice in recent years the Wisconsin legislature passed a law allowing concealed carry but Democratic Gov. Jim Doyle vetoed it. Doyle left office this month and was succeeded by Republican Scott Walker.

Walker said last week that he expects a concealed carry bill to emerge as early as spring, after the legislature tackles more pressing issues such as job growth and the budget, and that he will sign the bill.

"It's definitely a pro-gun Legislature," Nik Clark, president of Wisconsin Carry, a two-year-old nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting and expanding gun rights, told the newspaper.

That's troubling to Jeri Bonavia, executive director of Wisconsin Anti-Violence Effort, which opposes any legislation to allow concealed carry on the grounds it will lead to increased danger for individuals and the public.

"We really don't believe that more people carrying guns in public is beneficial in any way," she told the newspaper. "In fact, we think it's harmful."

A college dropout opened fire on a crowd gathered for an event by Rep. Gabrielle Giffords in Tucson, Arizona on January 8, killing six people and wounding 13 including Giffords.

The shooting has raised questions about permissive U.S. guns laws. Arizona has a concealed weapon law allowing anyone with a gun to carry it openly without a special permit.

(Reporting by John Rondy, Editing by Greg McCune and Peter Bohan)

:blush:

Good for Wisconsin!!!!!

I hope that "Jeri" will soon be out of a job because facts do not support her theory.

The hopes and dreams of Illinois citizens will probably never be realized, but it is good to know that those in the other 48 States are permitted their 2nd Amendment rights.

WR

As Governor Walker recently stated, "Wisconsin is open for business". And I will add, all you Illinois Cowboys are welcome up here in the frozen tundra. Hell, you can even root for the Bears if you want. Won't do any good but we would love to have boys up here shooting with us.

Walker said last week that he expects a concealed carry bill to emerge as early as spring, after the legislature tackles more pressing issues such as job growth and the budget, and that he will sign the bill.

While I am very hopeful, I'm not so sure the "more pressing issues" will be solved by spring........

"Arizona has a concealed weapon law allowing anyone with a gun to carry it openly without a special permit."

Is it just me, or could this sentence have been written just a little more clearly?

Sorry, I'm feling pedantic this morning.

With all but two states allowing legal CCW isn't it funny that opponents biggest argument is "if this passes our state will turn into the old west". I guess it is a case of don't confuse me with the facts.

Smoke

We Don't Want ill-Aanoy !!!!!!

You can keep dem libral Demies........

We sure don't need more of the ink up here ,,,,,,,, Heck we'll give you the 100 Southern most mile strip across Ontario & Quebec....

Let them form their own misserble country ....

Jabez Cowboy

We Don't Want ill-Aanoy !!!!!!

You can keep dem libral Demies........

We sure don't need more of the ink up here ,,,,,,,, Heck we'll give you the 100 Southern most mile strip across Ontario & Quebec....

Let them form their own misserble country ....

Jabez Cowboy

What if we throw in New Jersey and Puerto Rico?????

Just to be sure that it is understood, you can't lump everyone who lives in Illiniois into the same soup bowl. I have a good number of fine friends from there and the fact that Illinois is home to the World Shooting Complex tells me that not everyone from there is an anti-gun nut. From what I can tell of Illinois, it's primarily idiot politicians in and around Chicago who ruin it for the sane people.

I hope it passes. Each year I travel to South Dakota to hunt. Wisconsin is the only state I travel through that doesn't honor my Michigan CCW. I have to stop at the border and lock it up. Hopefully they will have reciprocity with Michigan. Wisconsin citizens deserve this, it's their right. It's been a long time coming.

Lock and Load! :)

What if we throw in New Jersey and Puerto Rico?????

Our New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Association just filed suit againt NJ in the US District Court about violation of Right to Carry Concealed ... being in violation of the US Supreme McDonald v. Chicago ruling

http://anjrpc.site-ym.com/resource/resmgr/...wsuit_Novem.pdf

Just to be sure that it is understood, you can't lump everyone who lives in Illiniois into the same soup bowl. I have a good number of fine friends from there and the fact that Illinois is home to the World Shooting Complex tells me that not everyone from there is an anti-gun nut. From what I can tell of Illinois, it's primarily idiot politicians in and around Chicago who ruin it for the sane people.

Thanks Buck,

It is nice to know people outside the state can see the problem too. So we don't feel so all alone.

Hopefully Wi will get this passed. If Il is the only state without CCW maybe it will be harder for our governor to veto it as he has promised.

Smoke

It has always been legal to carry openly in Arizona. A license or permit has never been needed. In 93 or 94 they passed a concealed carry license law. Then in August of 2010 they followed Alaska & Vermont and made it legal to carry concealed w/o a license (Constitutional Carry). They followed Alaska and are keeping their license so that Az residents may carry concealed in reciprical states & may purchace firearms w/o a NICS check.

What I've been workin' for is Constitutional Carry. That's carry open or concealed. Wisconsin's my home state and we've worked hard to get a more realistic government. Now, maybe we have one at last.

I'm holdin' out for Constitutional Carry.

DD-DLoS

What I've been workin' for is Constitutional Carry. That's carry open or concealed. Wisconsin's my home state and we've worked hard to get a more realistic government. Now, maybe we have one at last.

DD-DLoS

Dick, I too am 150% for Constitutional Carry. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see your legislature or Governor going from 0 carry to Constitutional Carry in one fell swoop. Wouldn't it be better to take it in baby steps as did Alaska & Arizona and get a shall issue concealed carry law on the books first?

I lived in BEAUTIFUL Southern Il for about 7 years - my kids still live there. LOTS of pro-gun folks down south, lots of hunters. When I was living there, even cops couldn't legally carry concealed outside their jurisdiction. We used to say just give Chicago to Canada & the rest of the state would benefit!!! :rolleyes:

Wi CCW has it's good and bad points. I work 1 block from the Il Wi border, and we've already got refugees coming up here because of the 66% income tax raise in Il, But now they'll be crossing the border in packs. We'll be seeing them crossing the river towing their SUVs. We'll have to have cultural classes teaching them to only buy Wisconsin cheese and not promoting "Da Bears". It might be easier to move the border south to the Cook County line.

DD-DLoS

Me too, DD :rolleyes:

Wi CCW has it's good and bad points. I work 1 block from the Il Wi border, and we've already got refugees coming up here because of the 66% income tax raise in Il, But now they'll be crossing the border in packs. We'll be seeing them crossing the river towing their SUVs. We'll have to have cultural classes teaching them to only buy Wisconsin cheese and not promoting "Da Bears". It might be easier to move the border south to the Cook County line.

Dat is a purty good idea; Filthy :rolleyes:

We'd get some good folks and the Daily(Daley?sp.... you know; the crooks that own the Windy City and most of IL.) political machine would lose revenue. WIN-WIN :lol:

Archived