SASS Wire Forum

Fire Resistant Gun Safe

Dusty Morningwood

Looking for a reasonably priced 10-15 gun safe that has solid locking door and is fire resistant (30 min. at 1250 degrees seems good). I can order lots of different ones through Sears and save some on shipping if I order today. Looking to spend around $7-800.

Interesting thing about fireproof safes, many of the less expensive ones, including those made by (for?) browning as their cheap line simply use a layer of drywall for their insulation. The ones I have taken apart are far from "sealed" (the drywall is not well fitted in the corners etc. Personally, I do not put much faith in most safe's fireproof or waterproof qualities. Every gun I have ever seen go through a fire in a safe came out a rusted and charred mess. You might consider painting your safe with teh charring paint that swells up to provide an insulating layer when it is exposed to fire. This would be particularly good in the door area so the door gap gets filled and sealed in the event of a fire.

Around here, Costco and Lowes carry some decent safes that claim to be fire resistant.

I own two (2) of these and couldn't be happier. I have a 36 and a 45 gun, non-electronic combinations, and give both a thumbs up. Have owned about 3 yrs. Just IMHO!!

Capt Hill

You can have a lighter weight but fire resistant safe which equates to less $$ because there isn't as much steel. Think maybe easier to haul off by the crooks unless bolted down

OR

You can have a heavier weight but fire resistant safe which equates to more $$ because it has more steel. Think harder for the crooks to haul off

OR

Even less steel, less fire resistant and really be less $$.

OR???

The best you can do is shop around locally with your $700-800 and do the best you can because freight will eat you up. Stay away from the high gloss/pretty painted/baked on paint exteriors cause that cost more (cosmetics) but doesn't do a thing for the security issues.

Another poster mentioned to budget in for home deliver or rental of items to help you move the safe into your home. Don't forget to budget beer into the equation cause your friends will need it after you horse that puppy into your home. :rolleyes:

Blastmaster

Rural King has some for about 650. Cost of the safe is only part of it. Getting it delivered usually cost about 125 to 150, unless you know a couple of gorillas.

You are lucky if the store will even deliver the safe at any cost. When I was looking, none of the stores were equiped to deliver such weight nor would they. They would hardly even help to load it into the truck.

Just bought two Cannon safes from Costco - similar to the Big Horn on sale now - paid $599 each (on sale) plus tax, delivery included to the street. Rented a GOOD refrigerator dolly and two strong sons and wa la, in the "gun room" on the second floor. Could not have managed one big one. The delivery guy (truck driver) let us use his pallet jack to pull it up the 250 foot driveway, although the frig dolly would have been fine.

Safes have a 1/2 hour fire rating. Very pleased. Not the best safes on the market, but will deter most thiefs. Guaranteed for life, including break-in and fire. For the price, can't beat them. They look good too.

MJJ

Mine was from Costco which included shipping to the curb. My arms were stretched about 3" and I have to wear longer-sleeved shirts now. ;) I think the size is 60x30x24 and was/is an excellent value. It would have helped to have had a piano dolly, but I used a 2 wheeler with solid tires to get it in the house and close to the room.

I lucked out and bought a 24 gun fire proof Stack On from Dicks Sporting Goods for $400.00 ($699.00 reg.)the day after Thanks Giving. They loaded it in the back of my pick up and I had a couple of pards help in get it in to my basement. I did rent an appliance dolly from Home depote ($13.00) and buy a case of beer. I have a walk in basement so it wasn't to hard to move. It has a three number manul combination lock. I think it is a really nice safe.

Good Luck,

Tater

;)

Got mine a couple years ago at Academy same 24 gun as above for 400.00. Only problem is now that i'm in CAS i need another for just those guns and ammo :~))

I own two (2) of these and couldn't be happier. I have a 36 and a 45 gun, non-electronic combinations, and give both a thumbs up. Have owned about 3 yrs. Just IMHO!!

Capt Hill

Forgot to mention also, when moving safes around, lift safe around the edges, and put old "golf balls" under it. Then just roll it where you want.

Costco has the Big Horn on sale with shipping for 599.

Thanks! Just bought one of these. Best buy for the money and FREE DELIVERY! Had to renew membership, but will need some big dollar items when we buy a new house next year.

Archived