SASS Wire Forum

Posting Stages before the shoot

Creeker, SASS #43022

I finally got the website working for my local club and now I am brimming with all sorts of stupid ideas for things to do with it.

One of those - would be to post the stages, steel placements, etc (basically a shooters book online), prior to our matches.

Now this is just our regular monthly match, not an annual - but, it is not that much extra work (since I already create the stages on the computer anyway), to upload the stages to the website.

The questions are:

Would you want that?

Would you want to see what was coming up?

Is it "unfair" because some have access and those without internet do not?

Or am I just creating more work for myself for no benefit?

I like to see it, I look at the stages for the Mima Maruaders up in Washington State even though I may never shoot there.

No unfair advantage, in the unlikely case that someone doesn't have internet access, they can go to most librarys and use a computer.

Howdy Creeker.

Our Club started posting stages to our website about a year ago and it has been a big hit, our web guy (el Gato Gordo) puts them up about two weeks prior to the match, I feel it offers no one an advantage but it does elimate the cheatin match director thoughts.

KK

As for stages written for local mathes, NO and the reason why is, quite a few in the clubs I belong to can practice this at there home, that would be a disadvantage to the rest of the club, now for State mathes, YES, then you can see what to expect from the state match.

We have quite a few fast shooters in the clubs I belong to and they have their own ranges to practice on and hit steel, granted a cowboy can practice in the basement or his yard dry firing but that is not the same as live fire, ok, I will get off my soap box now, you wanted to know and this is what I feel, let everything be surprised when they get there

All for now JD Trampas

P.S. Even a slow shooter that had his own range to practice would see his time improve if he knew the stages ahead of time

I'm not smart enough to figure out more than one stage at a time, even with a shooters book I don't check ahead. Like Bill and Doc said.

Well as it stands now there already "some" in the know when it comes to how the stage is going to play out anyway (stage writer, posse leader, etc.) so why not make it all of us. Smithy.

This is where me and a good friend of mine disagree. I think a shoot that has established itself as a shoot that has good fair well written stages doesn't need to post stages early. I think it cheapens the shoot. That's my opinion.

On the flip side of that. If the shoot is new or has lost quite a bit of attendance because of poor stages then it is a good way of getting some shooters back. If you are posting good stages.

I think it was last spring I was thinking about attending a shoot here in the mid-west. They posted the stages early. So I looked at the stages. Stage one was a total dump stage. That turned me off right there so I stayed at home and practiced instead. In that case it saved me a lot of time, money and disapointment. The reports back from shooters that attended confirmed my choice.

As for stages written for local mathes, NO and the reason why is, quite a few in the clubs I belong to can practice this at there home, that would be a disadvantage to the rest of the club, now for State mathes, YES, then you can see what to expect from the state match.

We have quite a few fast shooters in the clubs I belong to and they have their own ranges to practice on and hit steel, granted a cowboy can practice in the basement or his yard dry firing but that is not the same as live fire, ok, I will get off my soap box now, you wanted to know and this is what I feel, let everything be surprised when they get there

All for now JD Trampas

P.S. Even a slow shooter that had his own range to practice would see his time improve if he knew the stages ahead of time

For those that are thinking about setting up stages to practice before a match I have a theory...... Every time you run a stage well you are one step closer to a train wreck on that stage.

Better to practice good solid fundamentals than rehearse stages.

Stan

Creeker,

I too asked the same questions. It is a little more work but not much. I'm anal though, and get the new stages up the day after the current match is shot. We shoot March through November and our 2011 March stages have been up since November 2010 last year.

I don't see it as an advantage or disadvantage posting them on line. If someone wants to set them up and shoot them, they got more time than I do. I don't see many folks doing that. I know if I have a problem with one of the stages, I can get it corrected based on feedback from those that look at them.

The bottom line is what do your shooters want, not necessarily what the wire folks want.

I put our first set up and then asked our shooters if they wanted to keep them. Many had no preference but many liked the idea.

To find out what your shooters want, put a hit counter the page to see how popular it is. Then make your future decisions with some data to back it up.

Roo

I finally got the website working for my local club and now I am brimming with all sorts of stupid ideas for things to do with it.

One of those - would be to post the stages, steel placements, etc (basically a shooters book online), prior to our matches.

Now this is just our regular monthly match, not an annual - but, it is not that much extra work (since I already create the stages on the computer anyway), to upload the stages to the website.

The questions are:

Would you want that?

HE-- NO I don't care-- After all --all actions and proceedures were posted before any gunfight or argument back in the old cowboy days . Zzyzx.

You could probably post the same scenarios every month and very few would even notice. I've already got too much to think about in my life to worry about next Saturday's shoot. Like Stan said, practicing stages is setting yourself up for a train wreck.

Then, look out the month they are not posted, you'll never hear the end of it. I'd focus on getting the results out asap.

LL'

The questions are:

Would you want that?

Our Rio Salado club does it and it is great and I have not heard a bad word about it. See the following for Examples:

http://www.riosaladocowboys.com/

Howdy:

Let’s answer the question with a question. Has anybody received a stage description and not read it? I like to get an idea of the stage because I don't have enough experience to come up with the best way instantly. With a heads up of the stage scenario, I can get a much better idea of what I want to do, then, when they need workers it is easier and more fun.

Lefty

If yer gonna "vanna" the stages at the shoot anyways, (I think this is essential, not just put the stage description on a table and expect folks to read and understand it all the same as ya wrote it) I see no advantage to prior reading, and a potential for issues when folks assume they knew what ya meant, get all "gamer" and practice it WRONG, engraining their errors.

Sure, some will have prior knowledge, if ya wanna set steel, you can have that too), but I never found that a help. AAMOF, set ten stages the day before ya shoot, VS the guy who relaxed or practiced shooting, yeah, big advantage there. Now if ya posted em several days ahead, and some feller has steel he can set and practice the stage at home, yeah, might could be a help, if they got the means and set it up and run it correctly....

FOR ME, I can set em, vanna the stage, RO twelve folks through and STILL get a P, so no, I don't even WANT prior knowledge. Just lemme see it vanna'ed, see it shot once maybe, then turn me loose. I'll be as good as I'll ever be....

I like to read em to get an idea how they're written up. I don't put thought into how I'd shoot it, until I see the actual stage.

But I suppose it is a good consideration; for all shooters receiving the information at the same time. I'd probably opt to hand everything out as shooters arrive and check in.

-Nate

Well as it stands now there already "some" in the know when it comes to how the stage is going to play out anyway (stage writer, posse leader, etc.) so why not make it all of us. Smithy.

I write the stage scenarios for our club (Trinity Valley Regulators), and nine times outta' ten, I'm the one that screws up on the stage. Since ALL of them are in my head, I am easily confused. Definately NO advantage as I see it, mostly a deterrent. Lotsa' extra work for no gain. MHO

Al

I have been shooting SASS now for about two years. When I first started, I really, really appreciated seeing the stage scenarious in advance. I am sure my experience at the shoot was better (for me and for the others in my posse) as a result. I was able to think about how each stage might be shot in advance, weigh the alternatives and then to shoot. It made my introduction much more pleasant than it would have been without them. Now it does not matter as much to me, although I still like seeing them in advance when possible. I do know that seeing them in advance often lets others find any problems, which can then be corrected before the shooting begins.

It is Imperative that no one has prior knowledge of the scenarios..cause that's just not right!!

We had a great club here in east central Florida, the Match Director was great, attendance was HIGH!!!

But we noticed that he MD had "Prior Knowledge"...and that's just not right!!

So we told the MD, we appreciate your hard work but, you can't shoot.

He mumbled something about stick this club somewhere!!

The new MD is a nice guy but he said "I want to shoot", so we said OK but you can't be involved in writing scenarios or set-up.

He said OK, I'll just BS with the guys...we had a MD just like that once and everything turned out OK!!!

But we noticed the guy writing the scenarios, was reading them as he went along...and that's just not right!!

So we told him, you can't shoot.

He mumbled something about sticking the scenarios somewhere!!

The new MD came up with a great idea (I knew he was the right choice)!!

We hired on this blind guy to write our scenarios...he can't read them, so he Can shoot!!!

Fixed that Dang problem!!!!!

But we noticed, the set-up crew was reading the scenarios to see where the targets needed to be placed.

And that just not right!!

So we told them, we sure did appreciate their time and hard work, but to be fair...you guys can't shoot.

They said something about stick these targets were the sun something!!

The new set-up crew just randomly sticks the targets out there and sometimes they get some of them fairly close!!

Attendance has fallen off a bit, but the two of us are having FUN...hey someone has to tell the blind guy were to shoot!!

Now you've come up with this GREAT IDEA of posting the scenarios for ALL to see and read!!!

YAHOOOOO!!! You may have SAVED our club!!!!!!!

But we noticed that not all SASS member may be able to read...sometimes people answer questions on the wire that have nothing to do with what was asked!!!!!

Thanks for the Idea...I think it's a go!!

BH :blush:

PS: No prior knowledge of anything was used to write this post!!

It is Imperative that no one has prior knowledge of the scenarios..cause that's just not right!!

We had a great club here in east central Florida, the Match Director was great, attendance was HIGH!!!

But we noticed that he MD had "Prior Knowledge"...and that's just not right!!

So we told the MD, we appreciate your hard work but, you can't shoot.

He mumbled something about stick this club somewhere!!

The new MD is a nice guy but he said "I want to shoot", so we said OK but you can't be involved in writing scenarios or set-up.

He said OK, I'll just BS with the guys...we had a MD just like that once and everything turned out OK!!!

But we noticed the guy writing the scenarios, was reading them as he went along...and that's just not right!!

So we told him, you can't shoot.

He mumbled something about sticking the scenarios somewhere!!

The new MD came up with a great idea (I knew he was the right choice)!!

We hired on this blind guy to write our scenarios...he can't read them, so he Can shoot!!!

Fixed that Dang problem!!!!!

But we noticed, the set-up crew was reading the scenarios to see where the targets needed to be placed.

And that just not right!!

So we told them, we sure did appreciate their time and hard work, but to be fair...you guys can't shoot.

They said something about stick these targets were the sun something!!

The new set-up crew just randomly sticks the targets out there and sometimes they get some of them fairly close!!

Attendance has fallen off a bit, but the two of us are having FUN...hey someone has to tell the blind guy were to shoot!!

Now you've come up with this GREAT IDEA of posting the scenarios for ALL to see and read!!!

YAHOOOOO!!! You may have SAVED our club!!!!!!!

But we noticed that not all SASS member may be able to read...sometimes people answer questions on the wire that have nothing to do with what was asked!!!!!

Thanks for the Idea...I think it's a go!!

BH :blush:

PS: No prior knowledge of anything was used to write this post!!

So this is a Yes? Or....

The questions are:

Would you want that? Nope

Would you want to see what was coming up? Nope

Or am I just creating more work for myself for no benefit? It's your time,do as you see fit

As Kiowa Kid said...We post the scenarios but I think most people like to have them in their cart so they can refer to them through out the day and know the round count. But I do not think any one practices them per say. But if they wanted to they could. We have had positive feedback on it so will continue to post them for all to see. Other match directors are always welcome to use too if you would like.

Painted Filly (assistant to the match director...in other words his better half) LOL

Howdy Creeker, we post ours about a week before the match. I really don't care myself, I never look at the stages till I'm at the match and ready to shoot. I do however like to copy them for future ideas when I'm stage writing. Good Luck.

Jefro :blush:

I do not care one way or the other. We have done this for 4 years at our state shoot and it has been very popular. Some have argued that it is a unfair advantage. I personally know of a few that have obssessed over the stages the week before and put in hours of practice. But their scores did not show it. You still have to show up when it counts.

One thought thinks like Bad Hombre if everybody has access to the stages its as fair as it can be that way Match Director & crew dont have a "unfair advantage"(which I think is bogus.)

Personally I rather not know stages until I'm about ready to shoot it for real,I dont look at shooters books for big matches & I would not look at stages online for a upcoming match.

I do like seeing stages posted so I can use ideas for local matches.

Its a toss up. AO

Creeker I am new on this wire thingy and I just sent your message tooooooo.........the black hole I think as I cant find it now Damn :blush:....Send me an email and I will send you my phone number.

Do NOT give him your number Creeker!!!! He'll start spreading wild yarns about you. Things like you wanting to spend money on usless bling and other such nonsense. Don't do it Creeker. :D

Archived