SASS Wire Forum

Where do the tall guys buy ther clothes?

Jebadiah

I have searched everywhere I could find on the internet for pants longer that a 36" inseam (need a 38" or 40"). I have found a few shirts in talls from Wah Makers but not many. Anybody know a place to find some CAS clothes for a tall fella?

Don't you just hate shopping at these places that don't sell MENS clothes?

I am 6'6" in my sock feet and get my clothes from Tonto Rim. They have always impressed me with their sizes for the big 'uns.

Of course, I get to go by their store in Seymour, IN a few times a year so it helps to be able to try stuff on.

They have a web site and catalogs, too.

Good luck.

Yelp 6'6" here also. I like how the all the Big and Tall stores are 98% big! I will have to check out Tonto Rim. Levi jeans are what I usually wear I am just looking for something that fits in better at the matches.

Hi Guys,

Hubby is 6'5 with 38" sleeves and a 36" inseam. So, I understand your problems.

First, Wild West Mercantile has a big and tall section with shirts,vests, and coats. They support SASS and are great to deal with.

Second, if you have "gorrilla arms" like hubby nothing other than shirts bought by neck and sleeve size will fit perfectly. However, you can move the buttons over to the very edge of the cuff so that when you extend your arms, the sleeves can slide up a bit without binding. Fuller sleeves are better as they have more ease for sliding up.

If you want something like the Wah pants that are worn with suspenders, see if you can get them unhemmed. You can sew bias tape or grosgrain ribbon with a 1/4 inch seam to the end and turn up the tape/ribbon to get the maximum length out of them. The Wah Highland, Henderson Pin Stripe pants comes unhemmed.

Happy Trails,

Allie Mo

Hi Jeb, BIG TIM here, I have found that Wild West Merc. has a pretty good selection for us big uns. Also Double D western wear in Wickenberg Arizona has Wrangler and Levi's in full grown adult size. Another good place to look is Davis big and tall. Just google them they have big clothes. I wear Bib overalls and they have them big enough for me. Acctually had a pair come that was almost to big. I have gotten clothes from all three places and they fit!! (I am a small guy 6'-5" 315lbs :) ) Wild west has 3x, 4x and some 5x.

If this dont work out pm me and I will give you more help. Us Full grown men need to stick together!!!

BIG TIM

Old West Mercantile doesn't list pants for tall men, But the Frontier Classic pants come real long. I was upset because they don't carry pants in tall sizes, but the guy told me they are cut long because the cowboys wanted them long enough so they wouldn't come up over the boot while they were ridin a horse. I have the Frontier Classic Outlaw Trousers. I'm 6'5" and usually wear a 36 length. The Frontier Classics are plenty long. I could hem them about 2 or 3 inches without a problem, but like most folks I just let the excess bunch up around the ankle of my boots. I was really suprised at how long they are.

I also agree about the Carharts if you want jeans. They are the only jeans I've ever bought that never shrink.

Bill is right they dont list the jeans at Wild West but living here I go to their shop and try them on and again Bill got it right, I have a 38" inseam and they come plenty long enough. The misses dont have to hem them or nothin!!! Oh now I will get it for sure!!!

I can find Wranglers with 40" inseams, which I need to stay over 12" boot tops. I am also 6'6" and can wear the Wahmaker pants that are only 36" inseams as I wear packers, they also work tucked into 16" boot tops. Their dress pants are just barely long enough hemed with facing as Allie Mo said. When I walk into my local western wear store for Wahmaker I don't even check the rack, just ask them to get out the catalog.

Or the tallish but more rotund instead? 6' 1" and 250#s makes for hard shopping in western wear. Smithy.

Thanks guys. Thru the years i have found clothes that fit me for everyday wear. Now that I am trying to get into CAS I was at a loss on finding some clothes for that. It is good to hear that some of the 36" inseams are a long 36"s. My wife would not let me out the door in 36" pants because they would be flooding too much :blush: . I need to find a place that I can go try on some pants. I cant find any in my area so guess I need to make a trip to the DFW area and find some places. Thanks for all the help guys and gals!

Try asking the manager of your western wear store if they can order an extra-long version from the manufacturer. I had my local store special-order an extra-long duster for me, and it took about two months to arrive but it fit perfectly. (I'm 6'6")

For pants I ended up using a pair of Dickies with the belt loops cut off. It is not precisely authentic, but it looks alright and gets the job done. I have a hard enough time buying modern pants, and I haven't yet bothered trying to find period pants that will fit.

-Solo Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Jebadiah,

I bought a used pair of pants too short but wear the 17inch stovetop Tony Lama boots with my pants always inside the boots. I took the pants to a seamstress and had her sew a section onto the bottom. Aged, faded and repaired clothing seems to lend more authenticity to a period look. Also check "Gentlemansemporium.com" They offer many vests in "Tall" and are the only seller I have found that does so. Regular vest 22 inches in back and talls run 24..good luck

Archived