SASS Wire Forum

Indian Turban Question

Lazy Dave

This is an interesting question.

I have a friend who is a Sikh (Indian) who as part of his faith must wear a turban.

Where does this put him in light of the costuming rules.

Looking into a bit of old west history it looks like Sikhs started arriving in America during the Mid 1850's so there would have been Turbans in the old west... not many but some.

I hope somebody can give me some guidance.

Regards

Lazy Dave

Bad Hand has it right. The only categories that mention hats are Classic Cowboy and B-Western. Your friend will be fine.

On a related note,I saw a news story about a week ago where a Sikh recently joined the army and the Pentagon ruled that his wearing of a turban instead of a cap or beret was within regulations for headwear.

Good costume to review:

Watch the "Wolfman" movie that came out last year. It's set in the 1890's (Englan) and has fantastic period clothing and firearms. Anthony Hopkins stars at Lord Talbot and he has a Sikh manservant who hunts with him. The Sikh caries a very nice Purdy double rifle.

Bad Hand has it right. The only categories that mention hats are Classic Cowboy and B-Western. Your friend will be fine.

On a related note,I saw a news story about a week ago where a Sikh recently joined the army and the Pentagon ruled that his wearing of a turban instead of a cap or beret was within regulations for headwear.

Sikh Officer

And now This! :FlagAm:

As mentioned, except for the costume required categories, it shouldn't be a problem.

He could do a whole India Mutiny thing. Maybe shoot with the SASS Guy Col. Flashman. :blush:

If a Sikh seeks to shoot he should seek a sunshade to wear to a shoot and that single Sikh should respect you the majority just to shoot a saturday or so.

I don't see a problem,but if it were me i would dawn the attire of my host out of respect.I would not wear a cowboy hat to a Sikh shoot in India,not at first anyway.Tell the Sikh to suck it up for a day or two or find i real large cover..

If a Sikh seeks to shoot he should seek a sunshade to wear to a shoot and that single Sikh should respect you the majority just to shoot a saturday or so.

I don't see a problem,but if it were me i would dawn the attire of my host out of respect.I would not wear a cowboy hat to a Sikh shoot in India,not at first anyway.Tell the Sikh to suck it up for a day or two or find i real large cover..

If a devout Jew showed up wearing a Yarmulke should he suck it up too?

Assuming there was a Sikh cowboy shoot, I don't believe they would object to a cowboy hat worn by a non-Sikh.

As far as the attire of the host I've seen everything from Plains Indians to bankers to Chinese Coolies to train conductors. Kinda hard to decide.

The Old West was full of characters and pretty diverse.

I'm okay with a guy in a turban at the loading table.

If a devout Jew showed up wearing a Yarmulke should he suck it up too?

Assuming there was a Sikh cowboy shoot, I don't believe they would object to a cowboy hat worn by a non-Sikh.

As far as the attire of the host I've seen everything from Plains Indians to bankers to Chinese Coolies to train conductors. Kinda hard to decide.

The Old West was full of characters and pretty diverse.

I'm okay with a guy in a turban at the loading table.

+1

Alright by me fer sure!

:blush:

The turbin may be 'period correct' for SASS, but the rest of the outfit ain't! :D

Wow...even comes in camo (scroll the pictures in the link):

http://www.army.mil/-news/2010/03/25/36339...icles-of-faith/

GG ~ :blush:

Yarmulke, mezuzah, cross, mormon temple garments, clercial collar whatever if someone is observant in their faith then I'm all in favor of letting them wear what they need to and costume requirements can pound sand. CAS is a big tent and we ought to invite everyone in to shoot with us and have fun.

Yarmulke, mezuzah, cross, mormon temple garments, clercial collar whatever if someone is observant in their faith then I'm all in favor of letting them wear what they need to and costume requirements can pound sand. CAS is a big tent and we ought to invite everyone in to shoot with us and have fun.

OK :blush: ....but hopefully they can add something to wear that can reflect the old west times if'n they want to join us. Part of the fun is in the custuming...isn't it?

GG ~ :D

Yep, wear whatever yer faith REQUIRES, and that means AFTER ya check with yer holy man and see if there are any legit exemptions.

Some faithful are a bit prickly on these things when they are simply going by the "rules" of their faith without knowing the whole deal. A Rasta or a Jew or a Sikh goes swimming or rides a motorcycle, what's he do then? MIGHT be shooting in a competition would be an OK exemption, allowing a cover more in the spirit of the game even for them. If not, Turbans and Yarmukas (sp?) and knit caps over dreads it is.

OK :blush: ....but hopefully they can add something to wear that can reflect the old west times if'n they want to join us. Part of the fun is in the custuming...isn't it?

GG ~ :D

I would think a look from the historic backround from the late 1800s of that culture would work. I say wear it, but please be period correct at the same time.

Just my thoughts

~EE Taft~

"Finally we that live on can never forget those comrades who, in giving their lives gave so much that is great to the story of the Sikh Regiment. No living glory can transcend that of their supreme sacrifice.

May they rest in peace. In the last two World Wars 83,005 turban wearing Sikh soldiers were killed and 109.045 were wounded. they all died or were wounded for the freedom of Britain and the World, enduring shell fire with no other protection but the turban, the symbol of their faith"

General Sir Frank Messervy, K.C.S.I., K.B.E., C.B., D.S.O.

http://www.allaboutsikhs.com/sikh-warriors...t-infantry.html

Totally agree!!

As a side note, one of my minor hobbies is the British Indian Army and Sikhs have a long, proud history of honorable service in the British Indian Army and in many cases fighting the ancestors of the people that our servicemen and woman are fighting today.

What difference does it make. We had a guy show up in full arab atire, headdress, camel reins, thobe and cloak as well as sandals. He called himself Mohamad ben Gun. We thought he was a hoot. Of course that was just before 9-11-01. Never saw him in that outfit ever again.

From the SASS handbook:

Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but

all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television

series.....

ALL clothing and equipment MUST be worn appropriately, how it was intended and how

it would have been worn in the OLD WEST or as seen on B-Western movies and television.

Sikhs started settling in the western territories in the latter part of the 1890s, predominately as farmers, miners and railroad workers.

A Sikh dressed in 1890s garb, complete with turban would certainly be acceptable.

Wild Shot

Howdy Chantry.

Found this site that has a number of interesting photos from the 1800's ... http://defenceforumindia.com/showthread.ph...&viewfull=1 of Sikhs serving in the British Army.

Could open up a whole new costume category for military impressions -- using the current crop of SASS approved guns ... we don't want to open that can of worms of introducing new guns and calibers!

Speaking of which, I seem to recall there being a military costume competition at a number of major shoots anyway, so this is just a natural progression anyway.

From the SASS handbook:

Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but

all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television

series.....

ALL clothing and equipment MUST be worn appropriately, how it was intended and how

it would have been worn in the OLD WEST or as seen on B-Western movies and television.

Sikhs started settling in the western territories in the latter part of the 1890s, predominately as farmers, miners and railroad workers.

A Sikh dressed in 1890s garb, complete with turban would certainly be acceptable.

Wild Shot

I agree. I think a British uniform would be stretching it a bit but typical civilian clothes of the period with a Sikh turban would be fine.

Did not the UK use a single action revolver for a short time before they adopted the DA Adams??

Or were they just private purchase of Colts etc; I know I have seen displays of particular officers weapons etc in regimental museums in the UK and I am sure I recall SA revolvers in some of them. later on when autos first came on the scene, things like Broom-handle Mausers were popular with British officers an I know those were private purchase (Winston Churchill comes to mind)

Did not the UK use a single action revolver for a short time before they adopted the DA Adams??

Or were they just private purchase of Colts etc; I know I have seen displays of particular officers weapons etc in regimental museums in the UK and I am sure I recall SA revolvers in some of them. later on when autos first came on the scene, things like Broom-handle Mausers were popular with British officers an I know those were private purchase (Winston Churchill comes to mind)

The Adams was never deployed overseas to territorial folks in great numbers. The contract for the first ISSUE cartridge guns for British foreign service went to a company called "Webley-Green" (not webley-scott), and though given the contract, the facility was too small to make enough guns, so they redid the CARTRIDGE, creating, in 1873, a round called ".45 WEBLEY" (not .455 or .450), that featured a rim exactly the same diameter and thickness as a .45 Colt, and about the same length as it's cousin the .455 Webley aka Colt/Eley, or slightly shorter than ACP, for use in the Webley Green and COLT SINGLE ACTION ARMY revolvers produced as a sublet under the Webley-Green contract. The "London Colts" were made under Colt license, chambered in .45 COLT and shipped alongside the W-G, chambered in .45 WEBLEY, and both used the same round. The .45 Webley is the first to use a .452 bullet, a 200 grainer, and is, like the Adams, boxer primed, something not available to the US makers until after 1880, when patent dispute was settled by Eley buying Adams out, so licensing could and did immediately commence). At that time all american ammo was inside primed.

This bit of obscure trivia (Barnes doesn't even acknowledge the .45 WEBLEY round) came to me when I found in my stuff a .45 WEB round loaded by winchester, and began to do the research that led me to know I had already re-created the round (albeit .040 longer) in the C45S

old .45 rounds

L-R: .450 Adams (aka .45 Revolver, circa 1867), .45 Webley, circa 1873 (a 200 grain bullet over black), C45S, .45 Schofield (originally inside primed), and .45 Colt.

Worked for these guys..

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/gunc...U861405ACME.jpg

Of course he would have to have two sikh shooters~~BAAAA HAAA HAAA HAA :rolleyes:

Worked for these guys..

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/gunc...U861405ACME.jpg

Of course he would have to have two sikh shooters~~BAAAA HAAA HAAA HAA <_<

Hey, I see a NEW CATEGORY!

"B EASTern" :rolleyes:

(Ducking the fire....)

On the road to.....

Archived