SASS Wire Forum

Gun Carts

Rube Burrows

I am sure this has been covered and I have seen pics here and there but cant seem to find them.

I will be needing a new gun cart. My son will be shooting with me and we will need one that will hold at least two sets of guns.

I would love to see some pics of gun carts......and plans if you have them.

Thank you,

Rube

Pics of my cart

Pretty standard design from what I've seen, found the plans on the internet somewhere and adapted them to fit the wood I had on hand, don't remember where I found the plans now, sorry.

The upright section lifts out for easy transport. Wheels also come off easily.

Grizz

Pics of my cart

Pretty standard design from what I've seen, found the plans on the internet somewhere and adapted them to fit the wood I had on hand, don't remember where I found the plans now, sorry.

The upright section lifts out for easy transport. Wheels also come off easily.

Grizz

Pretty. How many guns does it hold?

I am sure this has been covered and I have seen pics here and there but cant seem to find them.

I will be needing a new gun cart. My son will be shooting with me and we will need one that will hold at least two sets of guns.

I would love to see some pics of gun carts......and plans if you have them.

Thank you,

Rube

I went to Lowes and bought one of their garden carts with metal mesh deck, and 10" pneumatic tires, and then

built a wooden deck and rails for it - it came out like this: My cart.

Another view, and Six O'Clock view.

I'm going to add an umbrella holder to the front of the frame this winter, so that if I ever get to shoot in a sunny

day I won't faint from the light, and otherwise I can cover my stuff from the rain.

It cost about $70 for the cart, another 40 for the wood and paint, and a day in the garage having fun with tools and making sawdust!

It rolls over anything and I could sling a second pair of long arms below the current set up - will do that if my one

of my son's ever takes a fancy to playing cowboy instead of that black gun stuff!

Shadow Catcher

Rube,

PM yer email address and I'll send you a bunch of files with guncart plans.

guncart

We quickly saw the need for a guncart. I got this one used over 5 years ago for $100. Has been worth every cent. At one time we had as many as 5 shooters using the cart at the same time. As you can see there is a drawer in the front and a compartment in the back too...

Even tho I got this used there were several modifications we did such as add a holder for a long rod for removing stuch bullets.

Hope this helps

curley

I can't seem to paste my links properly. Try the search feature, I posted pictures of a jogger gun cart. The cart was $20 and I spent another $10 on extras to add a 4 gun rack and box. It holds an Igloo cooler and all fits in my trunk.

ok...

here's mine

I should update the picture as I've added a shelf on the back to use for loading my ROAs.

I built mine to hold 4 long guns with one slot wide enough to accomodate a double

Gun slot detail

I've also added a removable surry type top for those days when bouts of inclement weather may pop in.

I started with the Gateslinger plans and modified to suit my needs. I had an ammo crate that I encorporated into the front storage area. The top section comes off with a couple of carriage bolts w/ wing nuts. The whole cart breaks down into three sections (base, top, and ammo crate) for easy transport. I'll try to post a picture of it later.

My first cart was a convertable upright/flat dolly. Set for flat, I bolted a wooden box on the flat part and made a four gun gun rack that bolted to the handle. Kind of ugly, clumsy and the small hard rubber wheels were tough to manuver on rough ground. Tried pneumatic tires, got TWO flats in one day even with the green never flat goop inside. I like big, solid rubber tires. They handle rough terrain so much better and never go flat.

My current cart I have had about five years, the Simple Cart by Cal-Graf.

http://www.cal-graf.com/

It holds five guns, is easy to build and maintain and is easy to break down into small pieces for transport. The gun rack holds five guns, doubles fit sideways. The storage box doubles as a seat. The upper box has a top that opens flat and makes a perfect "table" for scorekeeping or loading cap & balls, or loading strips, etc. There's a number of ways to attach an umbrella (wonder why us AZ shooters all look like beach bums in the summer, huddled under a dozen of'em) and the handle is nice and long, perfect for hanging brass bags, lunch bags and the like.

I built THIS ONE on a golf cart frame years ago when I started this game, and have used it ever since. It originally held eleven guns, but I upgraded the wheels and narrowed it by 8" last year and it now holds eight.

I built THIS ONE on a golf cart frame years ago when I started this game, and have used it ever since. It originally held eleven guns, but I upgraded the wheels and narrowed it by 8" last year and it now holds eight.

J Bar,

Do you have any more photos (or plans) for this cart? I'm using a golf-cart frame based cart right now, but I really don't like the angle of the barrels of the firearms. They lay too far back instead of being more vertical.

Plans? I knew what it was going to look like when I laid down my tools! :)

PIC 1

PIC 2

PIC 3

Thanks for the extra pics - helped a lot.

And while I'm not sure I want to know the answer to this next question, curiosity has the better of me.

Could help but notice those 5" (or higher?) stilettos hanging from your cart. What in the world do you use those for? Pretty sure they're not SASS-compliant footwear, not even for B-Western! :blink:

I made it to hold 5 long guns, but took the center slot for the umbrella pole. So it holds 4 long guns now. The slots on the end on both sides are extra wide to hold a side by side.

Thanks for the umbrella idea Griz. Any problem of it tipping backwards? Recon if ya keep a fair mount of weight in the box it should werk fine.

On my tab Grizz

MS

Lawman

JBB, yer off balance Pard on the cart. Where's the Montana flag? :D:blush:

MS

Lawman

Could help but notice those 5" (or higher?) stilettos hanging from your cart. What in the world do you use those for? Pretty sure they're not SASS-compliant footwear, not even for B-Western! :blush:

Them there is my lucky whoreshoes... :D

the best durn gun cart there is :blush:

again

Yeah I know, being modest again :D

But seriously, after mebbe three seasons of use, I can't tell ya how many folks have asked about or photgraphed this cart. It holds four guns, a day's worth of ammo, has a built-in drink cooler that'll carry a a day's worth of gatorade, and pushes or pulls like a feather. The wheels and handle are off a 100 yr old "goat cart", the bucket is a disguised fisherman's bucket, with an ammo tray inside and a styrofoam bottom part as a cooler. It is hung on a gimball so it hangs when the cart is tipped back, reducing front heavy effect, and conforms to the ground as a stable front leg when parked.

The bucket comes off with two knobs, the wheels with one nut each, and the frame folds in half, allowing the components to filter into whatever vehicle I'm using.

I never did weigh it, but I can lift the whole thing over my head with one hand and no strain, it's that light. The frame is maple with poplar battens, the covering of the bucket is thin strips ripped from a fir 2X4, the old time handle is steam bent oak and turned cherry. The wheels are fruitwood spokes and oak rims.

I looked at all the pictures, as many plans as I could find, then "commissioned" a woodworking friend to make it happen. This is what we came up with.

I understand that these wheels are no longer available from Northern Tool. Too bad, they were pretty inexpensive.

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww327/s...30/PICT0427.jpg

MJJ

Here is my first. It wasn't pretty. I purposely didn't final sand it to maintain a kinda rough look. The whole thing is made from 2 2x4's split into 1x2's. doubt there is $20 into this, but it works. moral of this story is you don't have to spend a whole bunch of money for your first cart. You can get something cheap to make do until you have been to a few shoots and decide on what all you want out of your cart. Some folks have dang near everything they could ever want in their cart, including a keg of cold beer for after the guns are put away at the end of the day, some folks just want a cart to haul guns and ammo.

my first guncart

http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1875/1067...8/392279783.jpg

My first guncart was, and still is sometimes, the saddlebags. I built Giddy Up last October for a fun cart project.

JJ-D

Archived