SASS Wire Forum

1st time shooting SA and Lever. What a Blast!

Captain Bill Burt

Well I shot my Vaqueros for the first time today, as well as a very slicked up Navy Arms 1873 and a double barreled coach gun, none of which I've ever shot before. What a blast! I've definitely got a long way to go, but with some very expert help I shot my first stage, 10 revolver, 10 rifle and 4 shotgun clean in 45 seconds. The next two fell off a bit, into the mid 50s with two misses cause I started trying to push it, but I had a lot of fun and learned a lot as well. I just hope I can remember it all. How is that for a complete newcomer? Feel free to be honest and critical, I know I've got a long way to go.

Hello, Captain!

I'm glad to hear you had a good time. And good times, too! I look forward to shooting with you next month!

Hi-Yo and Awaaaayyy,

TMM

I've been shooting 11 years and you've got me beat much of the time. :unsure::FlagAm:

Good job!

Regards,

Allie "slow" Mo

I was thinking the same thing Allie!

It took me almost 6 years to get my times into the 40s.

Im still tickled to be in the 40s.

Shooting a stage in the 40s the first time to shoot....yes, that's good.

At least they were not using a hourglass to time you as they do on me. Welcome to the show, your'e hooked now!!! Good shooting. Nota John

An hourglass? They use a calendar for me.

An hourglass? They use a calendar for me.

Sundial for my times.They have to keep flipping the hour glass over when I shoot.Just a hint CB....take your time and get used to your guns before you start worrying about speed.Remember...each miss is 5 seconds....slowing down 2 extra seconds can avoid a miss and saves 6 seconds off of a 2 miss stage.Speed will come with experience and getting used to your guns and stages.

I shot my first match about 10 years ago. I'm an experienced shooter, vet and police firearms instructor.

I thought it would be a breeze.

I was wrong. :FlagAm:

My accuracy was fair, my time was hideous.

It was a tremendous amount of fun and very humbling.

I shoot FCD now so I couldn't tell ya what a decent time is.

Depending on the stage, yes, that's a good time, I've been shooting, wow, two years now and Saturday my times were in the 40s and 50s. Then again the was lots of movement and I'm fat and walk from shooting position to the next.

When I started out I figured if I hit more than I missed and didn't do anything too stupid and had fun, that I was doing good. Pretty much still how I approach it.

Enjoy the ride and remember to have fun!

Grizz

So that is a decent time?

Howdy

Impossible to say without seeing the stage. For what it's worth, the fast guys around these parts usually shoot a stage in around 30 seconds or less. I usually shoot the same stages in about a minute. For your first time out, I'm sure 45 seconds is fine. Just judge by what everyone else is shooting the same stage at.

But don't get all caught up in keeping track of what everybody else is doing. Shoot at a speed you are comfortable with.

Lots of good advice, thanks!

It was more fun that I thought it would be, and I thought it would be really good, so I"m definitely sold!

The stage was probably what most would consider pretty simple, I think. Start farthest away with the rifle and shoot what I believe is called a Nevada sweep, then set the rifle down and run over to another table, maybe six yards or so away and shoot the corners with the first revolver ending up back on the target you started with, then empty the second into the middle. Then pick up the empy shotgun laying at that same spot and shoot two targets on the left, reload and shoot two targets on the right. I believe the distances were about 12 yards, then six and six with the shotgun targets being a little smaller and mounted so they would fall backwards when hit.

I had to ask for the series to be repeated to me a time or two so I could remember which order to shoot in. I did notice that the next two stages, which were different, the faster I tried to shoot, the slower I went, with one miss per stage. I got a little too excited I guess.

Well I shot my Vaqueros for the first time today, as well as a very slicked up Navy Arms 1873 and a double barreled coach gun, none of which I've ever shot before. What a blast! I've definitely got a long way to go, but with some very expert help I shot my first stage, 10 revolver, 10 rifle and 4 shotgun clean in 45 seconds. The next two fell off a bit, into the mid 50s with two misses cause I started trying to push it, but I had a lot of fun and learned a lot as well. I just hope I can remember it all. How is that for a complete newcomer? Feel free to be honest and critical, I know I've got a long way to go.

Sounds like yer hooked.....welcome aboard. You also learned the first rule of shooting well at your first match....the harder you try the slower you go....lol. There is a lot to learn as a new shooter but it comes together pretty quick and it sure is fun learning.

My partner times me with an hour glass! :)

When I get to shoot regularly, I average around the 50's to 60's for a stage. I shoot dualist, and like Grizz, can't run between stations. Since I definately won't catch up to the speed demons, i strive to shoot clean. Just get into a comfortable rhythem, and the cleans mount up.........Buck :blink:

They time you ??????

Isom Dart

Apparently that's what that irritating beeping noise is. :rolleyes:

As far as time goes look at where you rank in each stage or the match and pick someone else that has just a little better time and try to catch up to them. But the best part is that it does not matter much. The only person I try to beat is myself from match to match and try to improve on my ranking. Have fun go slow and get it right and then the speed will come.

...... the faster I tried to shoot, the slower I went......

Very keen observation. On "Cowboys", Evil Roy said something like that and stated that smooth was quick. With that in mind, I tried to shoot with a smooth, even pace. Felt good and fast. Others in posse commented on what a good stage I had. Time was good, too

Pard it is way to early in the process of developing your skills to obsess about stage times. At this point you should not even think about trying to keep up with the top shooters. As you have already found out, pushing it can be counter-productive. Concentrate on the mechanics of shooting the stage correctly and efficiently. Smooth and making the most of efficient transitions with no misses or Ps will become faster and faster over time. Pushing the limit at the beginning of your SASS life will result in too many misses, Ps, and train-wrecks. Remember your pards will love you and respect you just as much if you come in dead last as if you come in first. So long as you conduct yourself at all times in the Cowboy Way manner.

Pard it is way to early in the process of developing your skills to obsess about stage times. At this point you should not even think about trying to keep up with the top shooters. As you have already found out, pushing it can be counter-productive. Concentrate on the mechanics of shooting the stage correctly and efficiently. Smooth and making the most of efficient transitions with no misses or Ps will become faster and faster over time. Pushing the limit at the beginning of your SASS life will result in too many misses, Ps, and train-wrecks. Remember your pards will love you and respect you just as much if you come in dead last as if you come in first. So long as you conduct yourself at all times in the Cowboy Way manner.

That's good honest advice Lone Dog, I appreciate it. My focus when I shoot my first match next month will be to shoot it clean. I would rather not even know my times until all the stages are over or I'll probably have a train wreck just like you said cause I'll want to push it.

I guess I was mainly just excited about the first time shoot and wondered how other new guys/gals do in that situation. From what I'm hearing results are all over, some do a lot better and some not. I can definitely live with that!!

Thanks!

When I first started I was shootin' in the mid 80 seconds. :rolleyes:

Roy

So that is a decent time?

Only you can answer that question...did you have a decent time?

Sorry, I was feeling punny.

I recommend forgetting the timer for now and concentrate on handling, safety, fun, understanding the rules best you can...of course, as you'll see on the wire, rules questions will often come up.

-Nate

That's good honest advice Lone Dog, I appreciate it. My focus when I shoot my first match next month will be to shoot it clean. I would rather not even know my times until all the stages are over or I'll probably have a train wreck just like you said cause I'll want to push it.

I guess I was mainly just excited about the first time shoot and wondered how other new guys/gals do in that situation. From what I'm hearing results are all over, some do a lot better and some not. I can definitely live with that!!

Thanks!

Hi Captain,

First, your concern right now is safety and getting comfortable with the match routines.

Later...

There are two (or more) schools of thought on shooting fast and misses. One says slow down and hit the targets. The other says shoot fast and hits will come. Most of the fast shooters will tell you to shoot fast. ;)

Having smooth transitions is important too and prevents train wrecks.

However, I will never be fast enough to be a contender. So, I gave up and just try to hit the targets. Whether you choose to focus on shooting fast or slowing down and hitting or depends on your focus, physical condition, desire to practice, time to devote to practice, eyesight...

My relative position was better when I shot faster and missed more.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Only you can answer that question...did you have a decent time?

Sorry, I was feeling punny.

I recommend forgetting the timer for now and concentrate on handling, safety, fun, understanding the rules best you can...of course, as you'll see on the wire, rules questions will often come up.

-Nate

+1

Honestly I do not really care what anyone else is shooting (time wise). It is all I can do to try and do my best. That for me is the real challenge of the sport --- are you as good as you can be? everything else is gravy!

Fun with my pards, jokes and laughing, a little ribbing over my mistakes and of course the shooting part. Did I mention fun with my pards?

Anyway welcome to the game and hope to shoot with you somewhere down the road!!

Regards

;)

Gateway Kid

I guess I was mainly just excited about the first time shoot and wondered how other new guys/gals do in that situation.

Pard, The good news is that you're just like most of us. Getting a big kick out of something that is just a whole lot of fun. Been doing it for 7 years now and I still get those "1st stage jitters" each and every time. And I hope I feel that way the rest of my life.

Guest diablo slim shootist

when you start doing them in half that time then it gits fun :)

Some one told me when i started shoot slow but do every thing else

fast. Smooth is the key word if you can do it -then just push a little

harder till you start missing and back off a notch-Try not to have

more than 3 misses a match tops and you will make improvements.

But dont get to caught up with your time -speed will come -just have fun :P

Archived