SASS Wire Forum

1858 Remington by Pietta which caps?

Long Branch Louie

I traded for an 1858 Remington made by Pietta in .36 caliber. I haven't shot any black powder in a long time, so I bought some triple 7 and some CCI #10 percussion caps. The caps won't go down over the nipples for nothing and since they don't seat well, it doesn't always fire. Are #11's bigger inside diameter? The nipples look pretty clean, I guess I could take them out and polish them a little, but I still don't think these caps would go on them. Any ideas?

CCI No. 10 caps are the smallest currently available.

They won't fit much of anything with factory stock nipples. That is why they won't seat properly on the nipple cones.

Try some CCI No 11's but better yet, try to find some Remington No. 10 caps. they'll probably work

the best and they don't fragment irregularly like the CCI brand does. Remington No. 10 caps are larger

in inside diameter than the CCI brand No. 10's

If you want to shoot that pistol much, get some new aftermarket stainless steel or TRESO nipples for

it, and then stay with the Remington No. 10 caps...Best overall combination.

CCI No. 10 caps are the smallest currently available.

They won't fit much of anything with factory stock nipples. That is why they won't seat properly on the nipple cones.

Try some CCI No 11's but better yet, try to find some Remington No. 10 caps. they'll probably work

the best and they don't fragment irregularly like the CCI brand does. Remington No. 10 caps are larger

in inside diameter than the CCI brand No. 10's

If you want to shoot that pistol much, get some new aftermarket stainless steel or TRESO nipples for

it, and then stay with the Remington No. 10 caps...Best overall combination.

What Braspounder said. Can't add any more to it.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

I have a Pietta 1858 and with Treso nipples and CCI #11's it has been very reliable. CCI#11's are easy to find by, the Remington's aren't.

I traded for an 1858 Remington made by Pietta in .36 caliber. I haven't shot any black powder in a long time, so I bought some triple 7 and some CCI #10 percussion caps. The caps won't go down over the nipples for nothing and since they don't seat well, it doesn't always fire. Are #11's bigger inside diameter? The nipples look pretty clean, I guess I could take them out and polish them a little, but I still don't think these caps would go on them. Any ideas?

I've got a bunch of Pietta '58s and use CCI # 11s. Bunch of Pietta '58s ;)

Wolfgang, since you obviously have too many '58s, I need a twin to go with the one I have, it doesn't like being an orphan.. ;)

Wolfgang, since you obviously have too many '58s, I need a twin to go with the one I have, it doesn't like being an orphan.. ;)

Be CAREFUL whut you do . . . . :rolleyes: . . . . when you have ONE . . . you only have one to feed lead, powder and caps to . . . . but if you get second one . . . . you are in TROUBLE . . . . cuz they breed when you are not looking . . . . soon you don't have enough fingers to keep track of how many there are . . . . you are WARNED . . . but you will not listen . . . . . :lol:

You are right, I have a quite healthy and unapologetic addiction to old west firearms. Like new stuff, too, but not as much as the old. Plastic guns just don't feel like the old stuff, I reckon I'm just a codger.... :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

You fellas were right, #10 Remingtons fit like a glove!

Archived