SASS Wire Forum

73 Short Stroke Puzzle

Deadeye Dallas, SASS #60249

Not really a kit. Bolt has to be drilled and then a extractor and spring fitted.

Ok, I'll be the guinea pig, how does this work? I like the tight down pressure on my extractor claw, wait... I see it, the spring goes behind the pin so the upward force of the spring pushes the extractor claw down... duh!

I assume your one-piece trigger eliminates the trigger interlock safety in the lower tang.

The coil spring extractor can be a contributor to an out-of-battery discharge.

I know that people will disagree; however, I wouldn't want my wife to handle a rifle without those safety features. ymmv.

I like your tig weld solution. Next time, look at how far the carrier rests below the frame when the rifle is closed (in battery). If the carrier extends below the frame, the carrier lever needs to be bent slightly upwards. This will also fix the timing issue you described (in many/most circumstances).

In one of the fotos you showed, it appears that a cartridge placed on the carrier will not clear the lower bolt tab as the bolt is retracted. Hard to tell....and it may be just my reading of the foto. I assume you checked that timing with a cartridge on the carrier?

I assume your one-piece trigger eliminates the trigger interlock safety in the lower tang.

The coil spring extractor can be a contributor to an out-of-battery discharge.

I know that people will disagree; however, I wouldn't want my wife to handle a rifle without those safety features. ymmv.

I like your tig weld solution. Next time, look at how far the carrier rests below the frame when the rifle is closed (in battery). If the carrier extends below the frame, the carrier lever needs to be bent slightly upwards. This will also fix the timing issue you described (in many/most circumstances).

In one of the fotos you showed, it appears that a cartridge placed on the carrier will not clear the lower bolt tab as the bolt is retracted. Hard to tell....and it may be just my reading of the foto. I assume you checked that timing with a cartridge on the carrier?

Hi Manatee,

I wondered if you were going to comment. Glad you did.

The rifle already had the welded trigger and coil spring extractor when I got it.

In this photo you can see carrier is flush with bottom of rifle.

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy37/De...le/DSC_2399.jpg

Dallas

OK. Your solution was a good one.

I'd put the two-piece trigger back in though. Unless your wife is shooting 10 rounds in under 3 seconds, safety should trump all.

OK. Your solution was a good one.

I'd put the two-piece trigger back in though. Unless your wife is shooting 10 rounds in under 3 seconds, safety should trump all.

I would put the safety back in if your wife was shooting 10 rounds in under 2 seconds......

Stan

Oh....this is someone else's rifle......

....hmmmm....all I can tell you is that gunsmithing such a rifle increases your liability exponentially in relation to the profit generated.

Again, some may disagree, but the tradeoff to me is not worth it.

Be careful what you have your name associated with.

Manatee,

Just out of curiosity.....when are you gonna get that "bad" eye fixed?

I think you would look great with the goggle look. :blush::D

Archived