SASS Wire Forum

Auto Ordnance 1911

Guest Texas Jack Black

Guest Texas Jack Black

I was thinking about picking up a 1911 for the Wild Bunch matches I can pick up a Auto Ordnance 1911 for 450.00 Are these guns reliable? and how do they shoot?Are any of the parts PLASTIC?

T J B

T J B

Don't know anything about that one, I think I would go for a Springfield, a little more dollar but they are very good and reliable, even a RIA are about that price or less depending on the model RIA that you get, have heard good results with them and know quite a few using them for wild bunch

All for now JD Trampas

My Colt 1991A1 is the cat's meow. Extremely dependable even after many many rounds over 14 years ;) It has the plastic trigger, but that has been working fine....never an issue ;)

I'm curious on the EMF 1911 - they are made in the USA...sure would like to support a company that supports cowboy action shooting.

GG ~ ;)

I got an AO 1911 last year for the price you quote. The only problem I've had is the slide dropping when I insert a magazine, but it chambers. (Actually speeds up the reload) I will look at the stop notch for angle and sharpness. I also think the rifling looks soft.

I got it for Wild Bunch, and my carry and serious autos are Colts.

Is this a new Kahr Arms/Auto Ordnance or a used one? $450 is a good price. I've seen them for about $500-$520 new with a Lifetime replacement warranty. I just bought a new one and its fit and finish is excellent. It is tight, the action smooth, and GI markings nice. No brand name stamped all over. I will report back after I put some rounds through it. It is made in the USA. The only plastic were the grips, which I replaced with checkered double diamond walnut. The mag is proper and SASS legal. Lanyard loop on the grip frame. If it shoots as good as it looks, it is a winner.

The reason I asked if it was new is that the pre-Kahr Arms - Numrich built ones had a bad reputation for fit, finish, and function - a compilation of left over parts. Kahr bought AO and started from scratch and has worked hard to rebuild the brand. 1911 forum owner reports that they are as good as any out there.

I also own a Rock Island, about $100 cheaper, made by Armscor in the Phillippines - same warranty. Also very nice, with smooth wood grips (also replaced) but a SASS illegal mag which needed replacement. Excellent shooter.

I thought I might want a Remington, but at their cost, I would hold off and get a Colt, if you can find one. The A/O is at the right price point for a made in the US 1911.

My two cents.

MJJ

Is a Colt Series 80 a good gun to shoot Wild Bunch?

A Colt Series 80 is a good 1911. If you have it tuned up, it can be a great gun. I do prefer Series 70 guns myself. Or the recently made 1911 A1 WW II "replica" gun.

Good luck, GJ

A Colt Series 80 is a good 1911. If you have it tuned up, it can be a great gun. I do prefer Series 70 guns myself. Or the recently made 1911 A1 WW II "replica" gun.

Good luck, GJ

I live up here in Mass..so the only GI looking 1911 that we could buy in Mass till a few weeks ago was the A-O 1911. Now the Remington A1 is Mass compliant too.

I found up here they are about $550-600. Parkerized with wood grips.

I have about 250 rounds through it so far no failures. These new Kahr Arms/Auto Ordnance 1911's seem pretty good.

I just picked up a Kimber .22 conversion kit for it ,and am able to shoot .22 LR for practice 1/5th the cost, but using the same gun!!!

I have 3 friends also have the Kahr Arms/Auto Ordnance as well. No problems at all. Haven't found a 1911 mag that won't fit it yet either.

Just my observation of course.

KK

I have both AO and Colt 1911's.The AO is heads above the Colt for accuracy.This is actually my 2nd AO.Let a friend talk me out of my 1st one and regretted selling it,so I bought another one.Between the 2,I've put 1000 plus rounds through them with no letdowns.

:FlagAm: We have a dozen or so 1911's ..... bought an AO from a neighbor of a friend for $200. Great trigger and very close to a GI. It has been very reliable and is what I plan to use in WB. :unsure:

MY brother has had one for close to twenty years. The barrel bushing cracked early on. It seemed to be poor quality. He got a new one, and has shot it regularly since then without problems.

I was thinking about picking up a 1911 for the Wild Bunch matches I can pick up a Auto Ordnance 1911 for 450.00 Are these guns reliable? and how do they shoot?Are any of the parts PLASTIC?

T J B

T J B

I believe the only plastic part on any 1911 is possibly the mainspring housing (where the heel of your hand rests). Really not an issue as it is a non moving part, very easily changed if you want a steel one ....Doc

I had an A-O 1911. No problems with the function; but, the front sight fell off after 100 rnds.

Customer service was great. They sent more than one front sight to replace.

I lost confidence in it and traded it for a Springfield GI.

Archived